Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] NHTSA: File a Complaint - Valve Guide Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 01:36 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Maybe you should have added a safety component to the complaint. When the engine fails due to a dropped valve the Power Brakes and Power Steering stop immediately.

Bill
What about windowed block/oil coating tire surfaces....that's what I've always thought anyway.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:21 AM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by tim414
What about windowed block/oil coating tire surfaces....that's what I've always thought anyway.
All major safety issues.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:23 AM
4vettezo6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4vettezo6
Keep the complaints going. I have a 13Z and would prefer GM to accept responsibility and fix the problem.
"Keep this thread going"
Old 01-07-2015, 11:26 AM
jta98z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Complaint filed.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:35 AM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by jta98z
Complaint filed.
Thank you, we now have (6) Z06 Owners who have filed a complaint, let's keep up the momentum, it only takes about 5 to 10 minutes to write and file your complaint.

My goal here is to hold GM Accountable for this issue, people who spend 70K on a high end performance car deserve better than GM not issuing a full blown recall to inspect guides and then install heads that are properly machined/concentric.

I am currently paying out of pocket to get mine fixed, I hope this will ultimately help all Z06 owners get their cars corrected and before any major accidents happen. The folks on this forum are aware of the issue, thousands of Z06 Owners are not on forums and have no clue of what could happen.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:59 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Way to go AZ Dan, no matter how many times I screamed NHTSA is the only way to get a recall, it didn't seem like anything would ever happen...and today I login and you have a sticky with momentum. I will file my complaint tonight. Sure there have been a few dropped valves on the racetracks, but there have also been some on the road...but what does it matter? Not everyone tows their ls7 to the racetrack, and we all know this problem can occur idling in the driveway. But if it happens when your moving, you could have your engine seize, wheels lock, coolant/oil spill, and spin and crash. There was a thread a while back about a guy and his project car, a z that dropped a valve and caught fire on a California interstate. Talk about a guy that should file a complaint!
Old 01-07-2015, 01:07 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

We need to spread the word to everyone who has had their Z Inspected with bad valve guides and to people who have dropped a valve and ruined their engine and multiple engines in some cases.

If anyone can find that thread about the guy in California, PM me and I will try to get in touch with him.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:39 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinSeat
Way to go AZ Dan, no matter how many times I screamed NHTSA is the only way to get a recall, it didn't seem like anything would ever happen...and today I login and you have a sticky with momentum. I will file my complaint tonight. Sure there have been a few dropped valves on the racetracks, but there have also been some on the road...but what does it matter? Not everyone tows their ls7 to the racetrack, and we all know this problem can occur idling in the driveway. But if it happens when your moving, you could have your engine seize, wheels lock, coolant/oil spill, and spin and crash. There was a thread a while back about a guy and his project car, a z that dropped a valve and caught fire on a California interstate. Talk about a guy that should file a complaint!
I acknowledge your long term and consistent recommendation/pleading for all members to file a complaint

Although mine blew up on the track I have good video of how large and oil/coolant slick it left on the pavement. I think most have seen my video already

DH

DH
Old 01-07-2015, 04:57 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I acknowledge your long term and consistent recommendation/pleading for all members to file a complaint

Although mine blew up on the track I have good video of how large and oil/coolant slick it left on the pavement. I think most have seen my video already

DH

DH
Post it in this thread please, when/if the NHTSA contacts us we can direct them to this thread to watch these videos and or pictures of the aftermath of what these engines look like after eating a valve, it's also good that Z06 owners see what it's like to bring a car under control after a failure.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
Post it in this thread please, when/if the NHTSA contacts us we can direct them to this thread to watch these videos and or pictures of the aftermath of what these engines look like after eating a valve, it's also good that Z06 owners see what it's like to bring a car under control after a failure.

DH
Old 01-07-2015, 06:02 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Wow, good job bringing her to a stop, I could not imagine if it let go on a straightaway at higher speeds.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:32 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Filed.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:18 AM
JeffInDFW
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Just sharing some info....

The 2011 and newer Mustang GT and Boss 302 have the MT82 transmission that was a situation just like what Z06 owners have dealt with in the LS7. Huge number of customers with identical failures/problems and Ford offering nothing but lame excuses. They did a thread JUST like this one and actually got the NHTSA to launch an investigation. However, in MY OPINION, Ford muddied the water enough to get the NHTSA to conclude nothing was wrong and dropped the investigation. They had around 350 complaints.

Now, please read the following. It was released by Ford itself afterward:

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/1...-transmission/

Influence of Online Forums:

Base on the review of comments in social media resources, it is reasonable to conclude that online forums can significantly influence the numbers and nature of concerns reported to both Ford and the agency. In particular, participants in one blog not only advocated contacting either Ford or the agency to gain attention to the matter, but also suggested the type of information that should be included in their contacts. One forum observed by Ford included guidance to make sure to explain how their concern was a “safety issue”.

-----------

I personally am thrilled to see enough Corvette owners finally decided to take the effort to try and get GM to take ownership of this. I had written a thread a while back where I pointed out that since Mary Barra was at the help and was trying to shake out all the skeletons in GMs closet and had issued a historic number of recalls, I felt that NOW was the time to push this issue. I really think if those here who have inside contacts would get involved and help us organize and raise hell about this, now is the best time we will have to get something done.

Last edited by JeffInDFW; 01-08-2015 at 12:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
T-REV Motorsports (05-31-2023)
Old 01-08-2015, 08:45 AM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by rockinSeat
Filed.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:56 AM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by JeffInDFW
Just sharing some info....

The 2011 and newer Mustang GT and Boss 302 have the MT82 transmission that was a situation just like what Z06 owners have dealt with in the LS7. Huge number of customers with identical failures/problems and Ford offering nothing but lame excuses. They did a thread JUST like this one and actually got the NHTSA to launch an investigation. However, in MY OPINION, Ford muddied the water enough to get the NHTSA to conclude nothing was wrong and dropped the investigation. They had around 350 complaints.

Now, please read the following. It was released by Ford itself afterward:

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/1...-transmission/

Influence of Online Forums:

Base on the review of comments in social media resources, it is reasonable to conclude that online forums can significantly influence the numbers and nature of concerns reported to both Ford and the agency. In particular, participants in one blog not only advocated contacting either Ford or the agency to gain attention to the matter, but also suggested the type of information that should be included in their contacts. One forum observed by Ford included guidance to make sure to explain how their concern was a “safety issue”.

-----------

I personally am thrilled to see enough Corvette owners finally decided to take the effort to try and get GM to take ownership of this. I had written a thread a while back where I pointed out that since Mary Barra was at the help and was trying to shake out all the skeletons in GMs closet and had issued a historic number of recalls, I felt that NOW was the time to push this issue. I really think if those here who have inside contacts would get involved and help us organize and raise hell about this, now is the best time we will have to get something done.
Wow, it's amazing what car companies will do to save their precious cash vs. protecting customers. Thanks for sharing this article.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Zidane
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:38 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zidane
It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.
If enough people with out of spec heads and blown motors file a complaint, I think we have a good chance, one can always hope

Get notified of new replies

To NHTSA: File a Complaint - Valve Guide Issue

Old 01-08-2015, 04:45 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
Wow, it's amazing what car companies will do to save their precious cash vs. protecting customers. Thanks for sharing this article.
Here is a Z that caught fire after dropping a valve - they should file a complaint. Anyone know these folks or original owner?

Last edited by rockinSeat; 01-08-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: found link i was looking for
Old 01-08-2015, 04:59 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by MyLastCorvette
DONE
Thank you
Old 01-08-2015, 06:15 PM
BLUEMEANIE
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Subscribed