Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken
View Poll Results: Which Vendor?
WCCH
52.48%
American Heritage
48.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

[Z06] WCCH v American Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 12:38 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh B.
The pictorial was informative, swayed my decision to send my heads to WCCH, and then a set for my buddy.
Glad you took the time to find it. Some here don't believe it but I recieved nothing for that and paid full price as well as waiting my turn for my heads to get reworked.

DH
Old 07-02-2015, 12:40 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mdaniel
I went with WCCH as they had delivered great service on my LS1 heads that I formerly ran on my C5 (eventually went AFR for thicker deck). My tuner also likes WCCH.
There are no doubt other quality options, but for me there was really no reason not to go with WCCH given they have a quality produce & had demonstrated to me personally that they stand behind their work.
Same with my tuner, CMS

DH
Old 07-02-2015, 01:07 AM
badass7
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
It's all good, I just didn't like your analogy - you may or may not know this, but Kohle used to work for the high-end head machine shop he still has access to for reworking heads - he left there to start his own shop. This is an important point in the context that he isn't doing these heads in a basement somewhere - they are done at a high-end facility.

Now what I can't personally vouch for is who's head makes more power, etc., but as far as fixing guides and doing clean machine work, either one will get the job done.
Put me down for AHP.....spoke with Kohle and I'll be sending him my brand new LS7 crate engine in a week or so. Current engine dropped valve and blew hole size of your head in block.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:56 AM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by badass7
Put me down for AHP.....spoke with Kohle and I'll be sending him my brand new LS7 crate engine in a week or so. Current engine dropped valve and blew hole size of your head in block.
What year and mileage were you dragging or driving.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:32 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

I used AHP for the MS90 guide material.

I spoke with Kohle directly and he answered my questions.

Looking to get at least two track seasons out of them. If they last longer that's good too.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:35 PM
badass7
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir972003
What year and mileage were you dragging or driving.
2006 never dragged or tracked. Just opening her up a bit on a Sunday stroll. 6k rpm kabooooooom.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:07 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir972003
Darin morgan just answered questions about valve guide issue on my post so guys if you need tobask questions fire away hes ready. Thanks
I just read through that post and it seems Darin's opinion on what parts to use to fix the valve/head issues and it is complete opposite of what American Heritage uses in their promoted head package #4.

Darin doesn't like the use of Ferrea hollow stems exhaust valves and doesn't like the powder metal guides - both of which AHP uses.

Did I read that correctly? I'm by far from an expert on this...just trying to learn and get a understanding of AHP and Darin Morgan's recommendations.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:54 PM
jbvaldez
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AHR...

Hard to get someone to is straight up in the speed business. This from a guy who has had some heartbreak in the speed shop department with $10K 2001 Ford Lightning debacle and a $2K "LS7 Head Fix" I thought was good to hook from a shop in Dallas. My 2001 Lightning ended up being delivered on pallets to another shop due to incompetence and for the head work on my 2008 Vette....well you can see the LS7 carnage here... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...germany-2.html) and make your own conclusions on the craftsmanship.

I sent my heads to AHR for the stage 4 package after the intake valve failure. The heads took a little longer that expected but in the end the craftsman ship was a work of art and Kohle was honest about the delay and made the wrong right. That kind of customer service commitment warrants a strong recommendation in my book.

Johnny V
Old 07-06-2015, 05:37 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by jbvaldez
AHR...

Hard to get someone to is straight up in the speed business. This from a guy who has had some heartbreak in the speed shop department with $10K 2001 Ford Lightning debacle and a $2K "LS7 Head Fix" I thought was good to hook from a shop in Dallas. My 2001 Lightning ended up being delivered on pallets to another shop due to incompetence and for the head work on my 2008 Vette....well you can see the LS7 carnage here... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...germany-2.html) and make your own conclusions on the craftsmanship.

I sent my heads to AHR for the stage 4 package after the intake valve failure. The heads took a little longer that expected but in the end the craftsman ship was a work of art and Kohle was honest about the delay and made the wrong right. That kind of customer service commitment warrants a strong recommendation in my book.

Johnny V
You are typing "AHR", but I believe you meant to type "AHP".
Old 07-06-2015, 05:42 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by dapopa9
I just read through that post and it seems Darin's opinion on what parts to use to fix the valve/head issues and it is complete opposite of what American Heritage uses in their promoted head package #4.

Darin doesn't like the use of Ferrea hollow stems exhaust valves and doesn't like the powder metal guides - both of which AHP uses.

Did I read that correctly? I'm by far from an expert on this...just trying to learn and get a understanding of AHP and Darin Morgan's recommendations.
Well.. He also replied with "..I've yet to see any hollow-stemmed valve live in a performance application.." You have to realize the context - he builds 2000+ HP drag motors spinning to crazy-high RPM's.. And in that context, I probably wouldn't use a hollow-stemmed valve either.

But we all know that GM has (very successfully I might add) used hollow-stemmed valves in the LS6 motors for years previous to our LS7's - context is important.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:28 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dapopa9

Well on this set that I just did he used manly SS he recommended me to get SS...to.my understanding on ls7 or high performance motor hollow is not the way to go..I mean it can be done but why risk it. That's why Ferrea makes both I presume solid and hollow. Either way you can't go wrong. I'm running pm guides on my current set up when he went thru them in 2012 I asked him about that he said I will be fine proper lubrication and rocker geometry.. But he prefers bronze guides..im at 18k miles so far on my set up...
Old 07-06-2015, 10:30 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Does WCCH engrave their logo in all their heads or is that extra?
Old 07-07-2015, 12:05 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Maligator
Does WCCH engrave their logo in all their heads or is that extra?
I'm not possitive but I think its only on their ported heads.

DH

Quick Reply: [Z06] WCCH v American Heritage