Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Battery Tender Hook-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 02:06 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

I have my CTEK quick-connect wired direct to my battery and just run it out the hatch...Always worked great since the wire is really flat and doesn't hurt the hatch seal.

On another note...be sure to get your tenders up off the floor and elevated on something! One of you mentioned for airflow, which is great, but I almost had a disaster a few years ago - My '66 is parked directly behind my Z, and the C2's tank started leaking at the sender seal - the car decided to puke out 20 gallons of fuel on the floor and FORTUNATELY was a slow enough leak that the fuel would puddle and evaporate before it got to the tender (got within 2 feet of it)! It may have not started a fire, but it makes me almost start to cry just thinking about the possibilities...

My CTEK's now live elevated a few inches off the floor!!
Old 01-22-2015, 09:51 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by SonnyAK
I have my CTEK quick-connect wired direct to my battery and just run it out the hatch...Always worked great since the wire is really flat and doesn't hurt the hatch seal.

On another note...be sure to get your tenders up off the floor and elevated on something! One of you mentioned for airflow, which is great, but I almost had a disaster a few years ago - My '66 is parked directly behind my Z, and the C2's tank started leaking at the sender seal - the car decided to puke out 20 gallons of fuel on the floor and FORTUNATELY was a slow enough leak that the fuel would puddle and evaporate before it got to the tender (got within 2 feet of it)! It may have not started a fire, but it makes me almost start to cry just thinking about the possibilities...

My CTEK's now live elevated a few inches off the floor!!
Good tip! Maybe one more...I plug the tender into a surge protector. Would hate to think what a power surge might do to the car.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:27 PM
css60
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Connected right to the battery, and always leave the connector on. I have the Battery Tender Jr. The wire is pretty flat so it fits thru the back of the hatch real easy. The unit itself is on a brick, and plugged into a surge protector.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:21 AM
Grim Reaper
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19

Originally Posted by 2013 Z06
I got one with my car. It was a $100 option. My dealer traded with another dealer so I didn't have a choice. It plugs right into the cigarette lighter.
My 13 also came with it and it works just fine.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:28 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I use a Cen-Tech float charger (often on sale for $6.99 at Harbor Freight) connected directly to the battery posts in the back (no problems closing the hatch). I also have one on each of my tractor batteries. They work great.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:12 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

The only problem with the Harbor Freight Cen-Tech battery tender is if it ever gets unplugged or you lose 110V power, it will discharge the battery.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:26 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Good tip! Maybe one more...I plug the tender into a surge protector. Would hate to think what a power surge might do to the car.
Surge protector is a good idea too...I'll definitely add one!
Old 01-24-2015, 01:41 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bjmsam
I use a Cen-Tech float charger (often on sale for $6.99 at Harbor Freight) connected directly to the battery posts in the back (no problems closing the hatch). I also have one on each of my tractor batteries. They work great.
You might want to look into the CTEK 3300 battery tender. One of the most important features of it is the capability to remove lead crystals from the electrodes. These crystals degrade and reduces the life of batteries.

When the tender is first hooked up, it goes thru a process (desulphation) sp.to remove the lead.. then monitors the state of charge and trickle charges to maintain correct voltage. Has light indicators that show what stage it's in..

Quick Reply: [Z06] Battery Tender Hook-up