Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Basic causes of valve guide wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 01:10 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbob8915
So all of us that got our heads rebuilt with blah blah valves really just benefited from a good valve seat cut?
I'm not sure if I'd say that. There are several points to consider, like condition of guides/seats/valves/springs/spring retainers/stem locks/seals/etc.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:15 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Thanks for posting, great information.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:18 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rock36
If you are feeling suitably ambitious, I think pictures to illustrate things like run out would help convey the information in your post.

Additionally, I know one thing that always interested me was the shape of guide wear. We see plenty of guide wear measurements that aren't uniform along the length of the guide. Sometimes wear is excessive just at the bottom, sometimes top and bottom but not center, etc.

Great information, and an interesting read.
Thanks. And thanks to everyone else for the nice comments.

I may add pictures later.

I had also thought to put something together that would discuss guide type/alloys/manufacturing/ect in the second post. Brain storming that idea now, as I want to keep my personal opinions out of the discussion.

The hour glass wear pattern is created by where the binding occurs; the tip of the stem, or the valve head. If the rocker pushes the stem, then you will see more wear on the top of the guide. If the valve head lands on a seat that is not concentric to the guide, the valve head will be pushed directionally, causing the stem to rub/bind at the bottom of the guide.

Last edited by Michael_D; 01-25-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:23 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Of course, the first question to be asked would be if the order presented matches the order of the highest likelyhood during failure analysis. Since causes 3 thru 7 could be more tightly controlled during the manufacturing process to avoid failure, you would logically think GM would have addressed the areas where they had the capability to do so. Causes 1 and 2 are outside the control of GM for the most part, which would tend to question how owners use the car rather than the products they use in the car. It's well established that dry sump lubrication is advantageous for track use, but there's not a lot of data regarding street usage. This forum has the best opportunity to collect that data.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:35 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Very good list. Obviously lots of thought went into this. I suspect our Mobil 1 oil from when the testing was done (aprox 2005) has changed quite a lot.

Another point of concern is IF the seats are not concentric with the guide, then some of us should have had excessive leakdown around the valves when the cars were new. As the guide wears, then the valve will tend to center itself on the seat. I have not seen anyone with excessive leakdown on a new LS7. This pushes me to believe there is excessive side loading from the rockers combined with poor oiling and poor metallurgy.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:54 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

You can have run out in excess of five thou, and with just light pressure on the valve with your finger, it will seat well enough to hold liquid (the contact area of the valve and seat isn't much on four/five angle valve jobs). Having said that, I would not conclude that a satisfactory leak down test, with spring load, would tell you if the seat/guide concentricity is within tolerances.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:54 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
They sold a defective product! And still do.

As an end user, I don't care who makes the mistake.
So please tell us what mistake(s) the engineers made in the design. If you "don't care who makes the mistake", I hope you never get called for jury duty. All the factors that Michael researched and presented have much to do the production process and quality controls, and not so much with the design.

Last edited by Bad_AX; 01-25-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:42 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

I did all those things hopefully when I pull them soon they will be ok we still don't have a 100% fix to this issue, but we are getting closer...god bless us...
Old 01-25-2015, 07:15 PM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks! Great info.

Maybe GM will learn something here...
Yep, but GM darn sure won't fix my car if it blows……still.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:55 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

GM really couldn't care less about these cars/engines. All the engineering and development was done over 10 years ago.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:01 AM
Sébast19X
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 110 Posts

Great information, thx to post.

Seb
Old 01-26-2015, 12:41 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They sold a defective product! And still do.

As an end user, I don't care who makes the mistake.
You may not care but anyone who wishes to rectify the problem as intelligently as possible sure cares.

You see IF one understands that the engineering is not at fault, it removes a significant number of variables as to what the real cause is and saves you from trying to reengineer to get an appropriate fix. Simply having to ensure execution is good is a far easier than having to chase after an engineering problem.

Your post demonstrates a degree of emotion which will never help in trying to find an appropriate solution and often leads to making mistakes when executing a 'fix'.

My hat is off to the OP, excellent information that is clearly worthy of being a sticky.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:14 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
You may not care but anyone who wishes to rectify the problem as intelligently as possible sure cares.

You see IF one understands that the engineering is not at fault, it removes a significant number of variables as to what the real cause is and saves you from trying to reengineer to get an appropriate fix. Simply having to ensure execution is good is a far easier than having to chase after an engineering problem.

Your post demonstrates a degree of emotion which will never help in trying to find an appropriate solution and often leads to making mistakes when executing a 'fix'.

My hat is off to the OP, excellent information that is clearly worthy of being a sticky.

Cheers, Paul.
I have suspected for a very long time that a lack of adequate quality control and inspection from GM with the supplier of these heads with valve trains has resulted in so many defective heads installed on LS7s.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:26 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
I have suspected for a very long time that a lack of adequate quality control and inspection from GM with the supplier of these heads with valve trains has resulted in so many defective heads installed on LS7s.
A reasonable person would tend to believe they would inspect every component since these engines are "Hand Built"
Old 01-26-2015, 01:30 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
A reasonable person would tend to believe they would inspect every component since these engines are "Hand Built"
I suspect they're organic robots.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:32 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 383
I suspect they're organic robots.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:58 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
Thanks for taking the time to put these causes into one post. Most of us don't have the patience to read through 200 pages of arguing to pick these out.
Yup, what he said. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Basic causes of valve guide wear

Old 01-26-2015, 03:13 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With the vast amount of available measured data on guide wear coupled with the design of the valve train/ clearances/ lubrication etc. do you believe it's possible, to a fair degree of certainty, to assess the most likely candidate(s) responsible for the guide wear. If so, what would be your most likely opinion.

Thanks for all your support here..

Last edited by Vette @ 71; 01-26-2015 at 03:14 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 01-26-2015, 03:15 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Impossible to check every dimension even on hand built engine. The guys that assemble the LS7 motors likely don't check anything. If you are doing two motors a day you don't have time.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:04 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
With the vast amount of available measured data on guide wear coupled with the design of the valve train/ clearances/ lubrication etc. do you believe it's possible, to a fair degree of certainty, to assess the most likely candidate(s) responsible for the guide wear. If so, what would be your most likely opinion.

Thanks for all your support here..
Not that you asked me, BUT...I'd say #4 and #6, with the really unlucky guys getting both issues on one set of heads and not finding about #6 until after they fixed #4 only to find their guides to be out of spec a second time

I guess it would be just as bad to have only issue #6 and do a fix which would solve issue #4 (one that you didn't have)...because without fixing #6 your worn guides would return.

So what it really comes down to is, if you have improperly located rocker pedestals (ie. issue #6) life sucks a lot worse than if you had only issue #4 (ie. the concentricity problem).

Cheers, Paul.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Basic causes of valve guide wear