Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Basic causes of valve guide wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Undy
I would think that your geometry would remain the same as with your regular pushrod. The only 'possible' problem I can see would be deflection of the pushrod checker under load.
Your geometry calculation (contact patch) will be off by the amount of add'l plunger travel. Won't work.

In real world you would 'fix' your plunger travel at the planned preload depth for an accurate contact patch.

Last edited by Mark2009; 01-28-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:27 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark2009
Your geometry calculation (contact patch) will be off by the amount of add'l plunger travel. Won't work.

In real world you would 'fix' your plunger travel at the planned preload depth for an accurate contact patch.
No it shouldn't, due to the fact that you're adding the plunger travel to the length of the (adjustable) pushrod. The total length from the cam lobe to the rocker will remain the same, thus your geometry will remain constant.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:51 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

O.K., back to the LS7 heads I'm playing with. So went back and looked all them again. All intakes in spec at 48k. All exhausts out. I measured again on the chamber side about 1/2" down into guide. All were about 0.020" when measured along the long axis of the head and about 0.017 - 018" when measured along the short axis indicating that side load is playing a (minor) part at least in these heads.

If the rocker pedestals were mislocated it was only the exhausts.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:58 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Undy
No it shouldn't, due to the fact that you're adding the plunger travel to the length of the (adjustable) pushrod. The total length from the cam lobe to the rocker will remain the same, thus your geometry will remain constant.
OK, I think I see what you're doing. It should work
Old 01-28-2015, 07:04 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark2009
OK, I think I see what you're doing. It should work
I'll let everyone know once I try it, unless someone does it first.

It might take me a while to get another 9K miles on the car before my next wiggle test. I'm down to driving the car 5-6 months a year as it's up at my northern home.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:16 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
O.K., back to the LS7 heads I'm playing with. So went back and looked all them again. All intakes in spec at 48k. All exhausts out. I measured again on the chamber side about 1/2" down into guide. All were about 0.020" when measured along the long axis of the head and about 0.017 - 018" when measured along the short axis indicating that side load is playing a (minor) part at least in these heads.

I hope the "Experts" chime in on this one.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:44 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I'm not following your measurements.... you mean all the clearances you note are at the combustion chamber side of the guide? That would indicated an excessive seat concentricity issue, provided the clearance is considerably less on the rocker side of the head. And was there much carbon build up on the valve stem where it would rub the bottom of the guide?
Old 01-28-2015, 09:00 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
I'm not following your measurements.... you mean all the clearances you note are at the combustion chamber side of the guide? That would indicated an excessive seat concentricity issue, provided the clearance is considerably less on the rocker side of the head. And was there much carbon build up on the valve stem where it would rub the bottom of the guide?
Yeah, all on the chamber side. I was in a hurry and curious. Exhaust valves look clean and measure near new. I am going to measure all the guides top, middle and bottom on both axis when I get some time. You can actually feel the difference in clearance when you wiggle the valve by hand. It is normal for any valve to wear more on the chamber side.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:14 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

......It is normal for any valve to wear more on the chamber side.......
That would not be my experience.....
Old 01-29-2015, 01:50 PM
meinersk
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

TY mike for the info and the time you took to give it.Members like you make this forum what it is..
Old 08-31-2015, 02:42 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Bumping this thread. Looks as if there are some new members who are looking for a silver bullet.

Stick to the basics. There is always a reason for a failed component. You just need to know what to look for.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:47 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Thanks. And thanks to everyone else for the nice comments.

I may add pictures later.

I had also thought to put something together that would discuss guide type/alloys/manufacturing/ect in the second post. Brain storming that idea now, as I want to keep my personal opinions out of the discussion.

The hour glass wear pattern is created by where the binding occurs; the tip of the stem, or the valve head. If the rocker pushes the stem, then you will see more wear on the top of the guide. If the valve head lands on a seat that is not concentric to the guide, the valve head will be pushed directionally, causing the stem to rub/bind at the bottom of the guide.
Old thread referenced in another thread today, my WCCH measurement data assessment.

My 09 LS7 with 46K miles including HPDEs and other performance events.

All exhaust valve guides out of spec, hourglass worn most on the bottom --> seat not concentric.

Six of 8 intake valve guides out of spec, hourglass worn most more on the top --> rocker side loading.

A year or two ago I did a quick check of the rocker wipe pattern and the cylinders I checked had good hourglass wipe pattern on the rocker pad on all valves checked.
Attached Images  

Last edited by AzDave47; 09-01-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:34 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Googling Corvette stuff mostly gets me right back here!

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Old thread referenced in another thread today, my WCCH measurement data assessment.

My 09 LS7 with 46K miles including HPDEs and other performance events.

All exhaust valve guides out of spec, hourglass worn most on the bottom --> seat not concentric.

Six of 8 intake valve guides out of spec, hourglass worn most more on the top --> rocker side loading.

A year or two ago I did a quick check of the rocker wipe pattern and the cylinders I checked had good hourglass wipe pattern on the rocker pad on all valves checked.
Great detailed documentation. And as I have been saying on this and I don't see here - 7000 RPM relatively doesn't help, I'm sure!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 08-14-2017 at 12:35 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Basic causes of valve guide wear