Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How Much of Car to cover with 3M or XPEL?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 05:39 PM
spitfun
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default How Much of Car to cover with 3M or XPEL?

I see some guys have done the ENTIRE car with the protectant,which I am hesitant to do as I feel the gaurd doesn't shine as well as the paint (I have a black car). The picture is from another thread that discussed problem spots on the wide body cars as far as rock chips go. I only want to do the problem areas of the car with the gaurd,I am looking for some pictures of this partial covering having been done-does it look OK splitting the panel-part covered part not, without it being on a body line? Some pics of this done if there are any would be great. Thanks Rich
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2015, 06:22 PM
Black06Z
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spitfun
I see some guys have done the ENTIRE car with the protectant,which I am hesitant to do as I feel the gaurd doesn't shine as well as the paint (I have a black car). The picture is from another thread that discussed problem spots on the wide body cars as far as rock chips go. I only want to do the problem areas of the car with the gaurd,I am looking for some pictures of this partial covering having been done-does it look OK splitting the panel-part covered part not, without it being on a body line? Some pics of this done if there are any would be great. Thanks Rich
I have the same questions also. Im looking to wrap the same highlighted areas also along with the front bumper and front half of the front quarters. I've seen a GTR done with panels half wrapped. It is noticeable but doesn't look bad as long as wax or other stuff doesn't build up on the film lines.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:37 AM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 185 Posts

Think about everything that can be directly impacted as you're driving. Such as the Front Bumper, Headlights and Fogs, Mirrors, Rear Brake Cooling Ducts. I also have a piece installed in the door opening pockets. The Rocker Panels (wrap completely underneath).

John
Old 01-26-2015, 02:12 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I use collision wrap when on the track. It is a product similar to the ones you mentioned although only 3 mils thick and is considered a temporary covering. Wrap from the front wheel well all the way to the rear wheel well opening. On the door you don't really need to go any higher than the crease although doing the mirrors isn't a bad idea. On the rear quarter it is a good idea to take the covering to a spot 3 or 4 inches above the center of the wheel. When I run on the track I find black smears from track turds thrown by the front tires on top of the rear wheel opening a couple of inches above the edge. I use the wrap on the front fascia since there is so much stuff thrown by other cars on the track but I don't use anything on the street or highway. I haven't had any real damage on a front fascia since I hit a box end wrench that fell off a truck back in 1990. That put a nice broken paint circle on the front fascia of my 86.

Bill
Old 01-26-2015, 02:22 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

I had the areas you show covered, along with the rockers, 1/4 way up the doors, the mirrors, entire front and 1/3 way up the hood.

Mine was done in Expel when I bought the car new in 2010 and it still looks perfect. My car is Cyber Gray, so it's a dark color too and you can barely see the difference in shine between the paint and covered areas...Just take good care in cleaning, and you'll be super happy! I have Zero paint chips on the covered areas!! Be sure to get a great installer for the work!!

Get notified of new replies

To How Much of Car to cover with 3M or XPEL?

Quick Reply: [Z06] How Much of Car to cover with 3M or XPEL?