Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Help with Z06

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 03:15 PM
viegasjuice
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Z06

Hey all,

Ill start out with a mini introduction. I'm an evo guy(flame suit on) and my dad has a 2008 z06. I, for his bday, contacted carlos from vette air and ordered a black widow r cam and install kit. I also ordered him an intake(not vette air). I received the cam and it came in a "cam motion" yellow box. Nothing indicated this was a "black widow cam" but, since they get such good reviews and Carlos is so well respected in this community i just assumed all was fine. Hopefully I was right lol. Either way, long story short, they got the car in the shop and everything installed including Kooks long tube headers with x pipe. We got the car back and its pretty surgy at low rpm, it bucks pretty rough until your on it. Now the tuner said we will bring it back in as he wanted to work on it some more and we knew this before taking delivery of the car. My question is, is that normal? I will post the graph and you all can chew it apart and let me know. I appreciate any feedback and help since im not very familiar with vettes.
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2015, 05:53 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Well generally speaking the more radical the cam the more harsh low speed low rpm cruising will be. The Widow R is by no means a "small cam" but I don't feel it should be undriveable. I'd let the tuner work on it. It will take time on the street to get it right.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:04 PM
viegasjuice
7th Gear

Originally Posted by C6z06man
Well generally speaking the more radical the cam the more harsh low speed low rpm cruising will be. The Widow R is by no means a "small cam" but I don't feel it should be undriveable. I'd let the tuner work on it. It will take time on the street to get it right.
Yeah I figured. I have a full bolt on evo with large cams so I know the little nuances. How does the graph look? Thanks
Old 02-07-2015, 09:05 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah it's all give and take in this game. There's definitely more power on the table. I can see it looks to be a pretty conservative tune with the AFR being at 12 flat or so. Deoendig on timing values there would be some power there if they're are low. definitely some power on the table if that's what your dad is after.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:37 PM
viegasjuice
7th Gear

Originally Posted by C6z06man
Yeah it's all give and take in this game. There's definitely more power on the table. I can see it looks to be a pretty conservative tune with the AFR being at 12 flat or so. Deoendig on timing values there would be some power there if they're are low. definitely some power on the table if that's what your dad is after.
Yeah that's what it looked like to me too. I think well leave it pretty conservative for the most part. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:40 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Widow R is a pretty big nasty cam. Some surging/bucking <1500 in low gears should be assumed.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:23 AM
HeadTurner
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

I also have that cam. . It surges a little bit below 1200 rpm. The tuner needs more time with it. . Mine made 576 and 511tq with E85 and milled heads.
Does the car have headers? They will help this cam out.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:28 AM
HeadTurner
Racer

Cam motion box is fine. . That is who Carlos uses. . P.S. the cam is going toget of attention
Old 02-08-2015, 01:13 AM
viegasjuice
7th Gear

You guys are awesome. I knew it would be rough and thats why i chose it. I wanted to give my dad something mean. I own 2 evos, an 05 and a brand new 14. My 05 is built and has huge cams. Its a little easier to drive since evos rev so high theres no problem keeping rpms up. Im going to keep working with the tuner who is very well respected in the evo world. I just wanted to re assure this is all normal. Thanks guys.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:13 AM
viegasjuice
7th Gear

Originally Posted by HeadTurner
Cam motion box is fine. . That is who Carlos uses. . P.S. the cam is going toget of attention
I appreciate you clarifying that for me. Thanks!!
Old 02-08-2015, 10:09 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Power does seem awfully low. Friend made that easily without headers or any of the other mods on a widow R. My black mamba which was milder made 560rwhp before fast and 102 TB, and 580 after. I would expect a widow R setup to be 560-580rwhp and ~580-600 with intake/tb. Is this a cali 91 car? No timing in it? Numbers just seem low.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:35 PM
HeadTurner
Racer

Originally Posted by viegasjuice
You guys are awesome. I knew it would be rough and thats why i chose it. I wanted to give my dad something mean. I own 2 evos, an 05 and a brand new 14. My 05 is built and has huge cams. Its a little easier to drive since evos rev so high theres no problem keeping rpms up. Im going to keep working with the tuner who is very well respected in the evo world. I just wanted to re assure this is all normal. Thanks guys.
What type of dyno is it?
Does the car have headers?
When you going to race your dad?
Old 02-08-2015, 04:29 PM
viegasjuice
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Unreal
Power does seem awfully low. Friend made that easily without headers or any of the other mods on a widow R. My black mamba which was milder made 560rwhp before fast and 102 TB, and 580 after. I would expect a widow R setup to be 560-580rwhp and ~580-600 with intake/tb. Is this a cali 91 car? No timing in it? Numbers just seem low.
VA 93 Mods are the cam, intake and kooks long tubes. I'm going to talk to tuner and try and lean out the AFR a little.

Originally Posted by HeadTurner
What type of dyno is it?
Does the car have headers?
When you going to race your dad?
Dyno jet and kooks long tubes. I plan on doing some runs with him. If it's from a dig I'll smoke him, roll race is another story....for now
Old 02-08-2015, 05:12 PM
samy1691
4th Gear

Has anyone heard of the heat fix yet???
Old 02-09-2015, 07:06 AM
HeadTurner
Racer

Originally Posted by viegasjuice
VA 93 Mods are the cam, intake and kooks long tubes. I'm going to talk to tuner and try and lean out the AFR a little.

Dyno jet and kooks long tubes. I plan on doing some runs with him. If it's from a dig I'll smoke him, roll race is another story....for now
Definitely low for a car with headers, keep working on tune. . Keep us posted!
Old 07-27-2019, 04:30 PM
EvilKat
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I never commented back on this. Completely forgot about it.

So I used JTM_Motorsports. Had them do a nice little build for me. Nothing crazy like twin turbos, but ill tell you she can handle a lot out there on them streets.

Super happy with the decision to use JTM and would not hesitate to recommend. As a matter of fact, my car has made a few people switch shops and use them lol.

Thanks to John and Matt of JTM Motorsports for the great build, and great help along the way. Hell, John will text me 11pm if I have a question. Real good people.

Have a great day!

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Z06

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help with Z06