Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] When to replace Oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 01:07 PM
lucxy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default When to replace Oil pump?

Not sure if my question makes any sense, but is there a way to determine when to replace/change oil pump before it goes bad causes and causes engine damage.

My first z06 motor spun a bearing due to oil pump failure. The only symptom was low oil pressure, but the engine had already failed by then.

Just recently I did head and cam on my second motor after about 35K miles on that motor and I kept my stock oil pump.

Should I have replaced or upgraded my oil pump? How often do the oil pump fail espeically after 35K miles on the motor?
Old 02-15-2015, 01:21 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd say a new pump is more likely to fail than a well used one. Leave it alone.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:59 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

"My first z06 motor spun a bearing due to oil pump failure. The only symptom was low oil pressure, but the engine had already failed by then."

Well if the damage happened before the drop in oil pressure then it wasn't the pumps fault. When you have a major bearing failure, you end up with extra clearance where the bearing used to be with less restriction to oil flow. No restriction means no way to make pressure. Same thing with high milage engines. As a engines bearings naturally wear you end up with additional clearance and less restriction to flow and lower oil pressure.
Not saying that pumps don't wear out but not in 35K miles unless something else came apart and damaged the pump
Old 02-15-2015, 02:40 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stefuel
[....] Not saying that pumps don't wear out but not in 35K miles unless something else came apart and damaged the pump
The pressure relief valve is known to fail on these pumps. Not all that common, but there was a rash of them on 2013's not long ago.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:42 PM
JWingo
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark2009
I'd say a new pump is more likely to fail than a well used one. Leave it alone.

If the pressure indicates a pump that's operating as per design, leave it alone.
Often, unneeded maintenance adds more risk than it removes. Unnecessary disassembly, contamination, installation error, etc.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:23 AM
lucxy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JWingo

If the pressure indicates a pump that's operating as per design, leave it alone.
Often, unneeded maintenance adds more risk than it removes. Unnecessary disassembly, contamination, installation error, etc.
One of the reasons I asked my question is because my oil pressure went up a bit after Brodix heads, K501 cam, manley pushrods, new lifters and K&N oil filter. Oild pressure is at 68 PSI on cold start (NY cold outside) and goes down to around 40s when it all warms up. I use Mobile 1 0-40, but that's the same oil I always use. Oil pressure goes into 80s when revving warm.

It seems avg oil pressure went up by like 8psi throughout the RPM range.

Is that normal?

Get notified of new replies

To When to replace Oil pump?

Quick Reply: [Z06] When to replace Oil pump?