Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Needs ideas.. have fuel, spark, air & no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:19 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by djfury05
Ordered custom length through Tony Mamo and he added .050 preload for aluminum block saying preload would be more like .040 when hot and about right in the sweet spot for the Johnson shorter travel lifters 2126 SLR Axle oiling.
I just notice your earlier post. I am not familiar with these particular lifters. You said "shorter travel"... Do you know what the total plunger travel is? Short travel lifters, generally, do not have much travel in them at all, like fifteen thou or so. They are actually "cheater" lifters for some race classes where the rules forbid solid lifters.... They generally (again with the generally term), require adjustable rockers because the travel is so short.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:58 AM
djfury05
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a semi limited travel lifter (.093) with pressurized axle oiling.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

That’s a lot more than I was expecting. Still not very forgiving though, as you have found out.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:26 PM
djfury05
Pro

Originally Posted by Michael_D
That’s a lot more than I was expecting. Still not very forgiving though, as you have found out.
Yea they have another version that is (.058) but I went with these per Tony's recommendation.

I'm very confident with the new pushrods this time that they are correctly sized.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:20 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Its a good thing I recommended these or the OP might have had piston to valve contact when he bumped the engine over!

These are what I call my semi limited travel lifters and they are in fact more forgiving in regards to pushrod length which is a plus for a guy that doesn't do this for a living and might be off in his measurements etc.

Believe it or not though this is half the distance of a stock lifter which is normally .180 - .200 travel.

The really short travel lifters aren't really street friendly.....they are more cheater lifters meant for racing classes that are forced to run a "hydraulic" lifter and usually require a heavier rocker with an adjuster to get the preload just right.

They wont compensate for much temperature difference and pushrod length variance at all. I do offer a full limited travel (.058) that still acts like a conventional lifter (no noise....still forgiving for numerous variables in a running engine), but it requires even more exacting pushrod dimensions as your window or error is almost half of what the OP is running. Its the lifter I typically use in an engine Im going to buzz pretty hard but I'm **** on my pushrod measurements and have done it more times than I can remember so its alot easier for a guy like me to get the measurements right the first time.

Anyway....the OP got an education here that would be valuable should he build another engine or even help a buddy build one....I'm looking forward to this engine firing up finally and while I'm here I would also mention that after it does and the engine is good and warm, that's the time to double check that one cylinder that had a higher leak percentage....I suspect it will be alot lower with a warmed up engine.

Regards,
Tony
Old 03-05-2015, 03:21 PM
djfury05
Pro

Pushrods arriving today. Will update accordingly later this evening.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:04 PM
djfury05
Pro

Pushrods received and installed. Did compression check on #1 cylinder and got a little under 240 psi.

Finished up the installation of all the rest of the stuff and went to fire it.....

...And it started right up 50 psi of oil! Sounded great! Good bit of fumes in the garage from finger prints all over the headers so I'm airing it out now and adding more coolant and it should be good to go for some miles and tuning.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:23 PM
bd4airman11
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Congratulations !!!!!! Well done....I knew you would get it...now get a tune and you're off and running....Yaaaaaaaaaaa

Pushrods received and installed. Did compression check on #1 cylinder and got a little under 240 psi.

Finished up the installation of all the rest of the stuff and went to fire it.....

...And it started right up 50 psi of oil! Sounded great! Good bit of fumes in the garage from finger prints all over the headers so I'm airing it out now and adding more coolant and it should be good to go for some miles and tuning.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Z06_1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job man! How close were the PR's on preload?

I figured (hoping, even offered that dumb comment about the ring gaps lining up) that your leak-down test was faulty.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:45 PM
djfury05
Pro

Originally Posted by bd4airman11
Congratulations !!!!!! Well done....I knew you would get it...now get a tune and you're off and running....Yaaaaaaaaaaa
Appreciate it Hopefully by the end of the month all said and done.
Originally Posted by Z06_1
Great job man! How close were the PR's on preload?

I figured (hoping, even offered that dumb comment about the ring gaps lining up) that your leak-down test was faulty.
My first impression after sitting in the car with the windows up are that they are dead quiet, so the preload must be about perfect on them now. Before with the LS7 lifters I could hear them windows up they were obnoxiously loud. I wasn't able to get it out of the garage now that it's raining but I will tomorrow and see what it sounds like without all the garage echoes.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:57 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Congrats! We're all cheering for you.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:34 AM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

AHHHhhhhhhhhh..............I love the smell of horsepower in the morning

Quick Reply: [Z06] Needs ideas.. have fuel, spark, air & no start