Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] ALERT !!! Do You Have Fairy Dust In Your Oil ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 03:21 AM
dkz
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by User Omega
Any final word on what the material was?? Did any of you cut open an oil filter for inspection??
blackstone said poor wear from exhaust valves on my last report but i just had heads replaced not long ago under warranty. i can cut my filter open tomorrow. Do you have high levels of iron? If you check my post history you'll see my BS reports. man i probably hold the record for the highest iron level but what can you do. Local chevy dealers probably won't do anything unless something blows.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:38 AM
eb_rat_7
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

UOA from the car. No wear metals are jumping out at me. Possible that the particles are too large to show up in the UOA. I'm going to pull the comp trunions as soon as I can to try and eliminate that as the source. I'm still not convinced that the flakes aren't coming from the catch can itself.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:35 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by eb_rat_7

UOA from the car. No wear metals are jumping out at me. Possible that the particles are too large to show up in the UOA. I'm going to pull the comp trunions as soon as I can to try and eliminate that as the source. I'm still not convinced that the flakes aren't coming from the catch can itself.
Thats a damn good report

I changed my oil last week and should have a new Blackstone in a few days. I will post it.

And I did have some dust at bottom of can again. Probably did a couple of times ago too and just didn't notice it. But its not a lot.

Also my magnetic drain plugs are very clean compared to my previous Z06 with just a tiny bit of sludge but not particles at all.

DH
Old 09-25-2016, 04:36 PM
dkz
Racer

Originally Posted by User Omega
Any final word on what the material was?? Did any of you cut open an oil filter for inspection??
I didn't see much in my oil filter maybe just a few tiny specs of fairy dust. who knows maybe it was little bits of the oil filter housing from me bashing it open. Here's my catch can after two hpde days with oil drained out.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:38 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

How much did you drain out from the HPDE's?
Old 09-25-2016, 08:16 PM
dkz
Racer

Originally Posted by AzDave47
How much did you drain out from the HPDE's?
oh i'd guess what looked like 1 ounce came out? It's about what i normally see in there after 3000 normal street miles, maybe just a tad more.

Last edited by dkz; 09-25-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:48 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by dkz
oh i'd guess what looked like 1 ounce came out? It's about what i normally see in there after 3000 normal street miles, maybe just a tad more.
That's good, stock or HCI I got close to 4 ounces in 70 miles at HPDE, with mostly 4-7K running, but less than an ounce in 2-3K street running.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:53 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dkz
I didn't see much in my oil filter maybe just a few tiny specs of fairy dust. who knows maybe it was little bits of the oil filter housing from me bashing it open. Here's my catch can after two hpde days with oil drained out.

I am assuming that the resolution of your picture is indicating we are seeing fairy dust. If so it is very similar to the amount that I see at the bottom of my can too.

DH
Old 09-26-2016, 04:42 PM
dkz
Racer

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I am assuming that the resolution of your picture is indicating we are seeing fairy dust. If so it is very similar to the amount that I see at the bottom of my can too.

DH
if you have chrome, right click and view the image in a new tab, you'll see the picture in full resolution. Even though my catch can is black it was hard to get a good picture of the metals inside.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:01 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dkz
if you have chrome, right click and view the image in a new tab, you'll see the picture in full resolution. Even though my catch can is black it was hard to get a good picture of the metals inside.
I'm at work with a much better monitor. We have exactly the same fairy dust

DH

Quick Reply: [Z06] ALERT !!! Do You Have Fairy Dust In Your Oil ??