Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] ALERT !!! Do You Have Fairy Dust In Your Oil ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 12:30 AM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Can't speak for LS7's but did an oil analysis on my LS3 and found a lot of copper. Poking around a bit I found this

http://www.brianschreurs.org/neptune...es/copper.html

Also there is the "bob is the oil guy" site which seems to be where people go with situations like this.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:13 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Copper

I don't get my test oil out of the oil catch can but when I send a sample to Black Stone labs I get it out of the oil tank on my Dry sump LS7. It always has that gold tone look to it and my Copper readings are always high. But they are going down with every test. I thought it was funny how gold the oil looked.
My copper numbers have gone down from 115 to 40. But I've just recently had new CHE bronze valve guides and CHE rocker arms installed. And if I'm not mistaken the rockers have bronze bushings in them and this may all contribute to the high Copper readings.

Last edited by meanjoe; 02-23-2015 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:25 AM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by meanjoe
I don't get my test oil out of the oil catch can but when I send a sample to Black Stone labs I get it out of the oil tank on my Dry sump LS7. It always has that gold tone look to it and my Copper readings are always high. But they are going down with every test. I thought it was funny how gold the oil looked.
My copper numbers have gone down from 115 to 40. But I've just recently had new CHE bronze valve guides and CHE rocker arms installed. And if I'm not mistaken the rockers have bronze bushings in them and this may all contribute to the high Copper readings.
I do numerous Blackstone samples for customers. They want oil from midstream when dumping the oil. Oil out of the filter or a catch can is not a good analysis. Midstream is better. Just my 2 cents on oil analysis.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:25 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Black EE catch can with 10K miles of using it. Never saw any fairy dust, glitter or metal particles in the entrapped oil.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:42 AM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,039 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
This is NO JOKE !!!!!!!!!!

I have a black EE Catch Can. When I empty the can and look at the residual oil clinging to the bottom of the can there is a very fine GOLD GLITTER floating within it. You cannot see it if there is any depth of oil in the can. You cannot see it if oil is transferred to clear container. The oil had 3500 street miles. You have to hold the can in sunlight or use a flash light to view.

Here are some points to consider:
1. This is the same EE can used on my previous raced motor and my current not raced motor.
2. I have the same fairy dust then and now, been monitoring this for over a year.
3. Same for the stock and WCCH heads
4. Buddy has same EE can on modified motor and has the same but MORE fairy dust.
5. I used a strong magenet against the outside of the can and could not detect movement of the fairy dust. But maybe not strong enough.
6. Sorry did not try to get picture. Maybe somone else will or I will try in a couple thosand miles.

I think its the iron that we all see on our magnetic plugs. It looks fine enough to get through bearing space or any other part of the motor. The material could be alum, iron, bronze or titanium and it would likely look goldish due to color of the oil against the black can.

It is possible the the fairy dust could be comming from the EE can filter medium. I will try and contact them but the medium is shaved metal.

So I woud like to see if others can confirm fairy dust in their catch cans, any brand. It might be hard to see if your can is not black bottomed so maybe some one can confirm viewing on different color.

Opinions ?????????

DH
Might be a few more weeks....but I will keep my eye on it and let you know.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:43 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by BLW BY
I'm the other guy with fairy dust.
Mine had about 10x more than Howie's. His trapped oil had 3500 miles on it, mine had 2x the volume, 1 track day and about 500 street miles.
Doesn't bother me as much as it does Howie. I would just figure it was the bronze valve guides but Howie has powder metal type.
I have 75,000 miles on the lower end and 15,000 on the WCCH, in 25,000 I'm going to pull it apart and freshen everything up.
This motor runs like a 'Raped Ape' (we know raped apes are fast because no has ever seen one) puts down 545 RWHP.
I'm not too concerned with the motor it's everything else that breaks.
Lets try and get a good picture of yours. You should have another track day soon, right?

DH
Old 02-23-2015, 09:47 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by meanjoe
You are taking your sample for Blackstone the correct way.

You can't really see this with any volume of oil. The oil just looks normally dark.

But you can see the actual goldish glitter in the film left in the bottom of the can.

Can you please check this. What can and color can do you have.

DH
Old 02-23-2015, 09:50 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Undy
Black EE catch can with 10K miles of using it. Never saw any fairy dust, glitter or metal particles in the entrapped oil.
Undy

If you just look in your can with an inch of oil you will not see it. You will not see it if you just dump the oil in a clear bottle.

You will only see it if you closely inspect the remaining film of oil after you dump the can. If you wear reading glasses you will need them on to see the glitter (I do).

Please check again and let us know.

DH
Old 02-23-2015, 09:51 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dcamick
Might be a few more weeks....but I will keep my eye on it and let you know.
Great. Thanks!

DH
Old 02-23-2015, 10:52 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Undy

If you just look in your can with an inch of oil you will not see it. You will not see it if you just dump the oil in a clear bottle.

You will only see it if you closely inspect the remaining film of oil after you dump the can. If you wear reading glasses you will need them on to see the glitter (I do).

Please check again and let us know.

DH
I will, although I won't be back to my other home where the car is until May.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:17 PM
Gizmo5
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gonna take me a bit to get miles racked up, but when I drive it its rough and deep. Time will tell, I'll post pics when its time
Old 02-23-2015, 04:08 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Undy
I will, although I won't be back to my other home where the car is until May.
Thanks

DH
Old 02-23-2015, 04:09 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gizmo5
Gonna take me a bit to get miles racked up, but when I drive it its rough and deep. Time will tell, I'll post pics when its time
Thanks

DH
Old 02-23-2015, 04:31 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

But Hib, I am trying to save Tink

And I know she has been in at least 3 motors.

Do you have a black EE can ??

We can check my can on wednesday but I will only have a couple hundred miles sonce cleaning it out.

DH
Howie, I just had to jerk your chain a bit on the fairy dust thing.

I don't really have a concise answer for you other than to say that if you had a magnet close to the container and the fairy dust didn't move or react in any way, then the stuff is nonferrous.

A very fine gold or bronze colored metal powder is only going to come from a few things in the engine, bronze valve guides are one source. Oil with some sort of contamination or maybe an additive is another. Engine bearings and the bushing in the small end of the conn rods is yet another.

As for oil analysis, it is true that anything large enough to be visible will likely not show up in a Blackstone Labs test but, it's possible if there's enough of this "fairy dust" to see, there might also be some measure of the same stuff in much smaller particles that you cannot see but would show up in a sample you send to the Blackstone Lab.

It doesn't cost much to have Blackstone sample your oil, so I'd take a sample and send it to them.

If you see high numbers for bronze, copper or, perhaps, aluminum, that might be a clue.

But really, Howie, why don't you just let Tinker-Bell out...poor thing.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:40 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
Howie, I just had to jerk your chain a bit on the fairy dust thing.

I don't really have a concise answer for you other than to say that if you had a magnet close to the container and the fairy dust didn't move or react in any way, then the stuff is nonferrous.

A very fine gold or bronze colored metal powder is only going to come from a few things in the engine, bronze valve guides are one source. Oil with some sort of contamination or maybe an additive is another. Engine bearings and the bushing in the small end of the conn rods is yet another.

As for oil analysis, it is true that anything large enough to be visible will likely not show up in a Blackstone Labs test but, it's possible if there's enough of this "fairy dust" to see, there might also be some measure of the same stuff in much smaller particles that you cannot see but would show up in a sample you send to the Blackstone Lab.

It doesn't cost much to have Blackstone sample your oil, so I'd take a sample and send it to them.

If you see high numbers for bronze, copper or, perhaps, aluminum, that might be a clue.

But really, Howie, why don't you just let Tinker-Bell out...poor thing.
Well, I was obviously expecting someone to have fun with "fairy dust".

Blackstone sample was sent today. But I don't expect it to address the issue. I have the same goldish glitter in 2 different motors with no commonality in Blackstone reports.

As I mentioned, the glitter could be any metal and is just taking on the coloration of the oil it is immersed in.

Since the only other motor (Rocketmans's) I checked had the exact same issue I am confident that once others check their cans they will see the same goldish glitter fairy dust

DH
Old 02-23-2015, 07:22 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the same catch can and have never seen this dust either.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:47 PM
NHRA95
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get notified of new replies

To ALERT !!! Do You Have Fairy Dust In Your Oil ??

Old 02-23-2015, 09:51 PM
Jasonoff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't this more of an oil air separator than a catch can?

Double check the filter media material. The spec (image below) says SS but it's generally brass which could explain the "fairy dust" you're seeing...

EDIT: if not it's probably bearing material

Old 02-23-2015, 09:52 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Default ALERT !!! Do You Have Fairy Dust In Your Oil ??

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I have the same catch can and have never seen this dust either.
Did you check with bright sunlight for a flashlight shining on the bottom of the can? If not you may not see it.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:43 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

No weird colors, dust, metal, in my catch cans. Just looks like dark oil.

Quick Reply: [Z06] ALERT !!! Do You Have Fairy Dust In Your Oil ??