Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] ALERT !!! Do You Have Fairy Dust In Your Oil ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 10:07 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Not to change the subject or hijack your thread but does anybody else here use GoldPlug magnetic drain plugs? They are a SUPER strong magnet and I could not believe how much more they capture over a regular magnetic drain plug. I could not believe the little afro like ball of metal dust on it the first time I changed my oil, so much I was concerned. I have been doing oil analysis from Blackstone for a while now and they always come back indicating my motor is perfect and nothing is out of the ordinary.

My question is for others using these plugs how much metal do you see on it after a 2 to 3000 mile oil change?

And for anybody not using these magnetic drain plugs I recommend that you do, you will be amazed at what they pull out of your oil.

As far as the catch can I do not have one but don't they pull the oil out of the mist and keep it from being sucked into the intake. I would think that you would not be getting any metal in that from bearings or anything and it would have to be from the catch can or oil additives not your motor but then I am no expert. Please keep us informed as to what you find.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:37 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
No weird colors, dust, metal, in my catch cans. Just looks like dark oil.
I hope I have made this point clear already but the oil in my catch can looks like normal dark oil too. You cannot see the glitter until you dump the oil out of the can. Then shinning a flash light or in direct sunlight you view the film left in the bottom of the can. If you have the glitter this is the only way you can see it.

DH
Old 02-24-2015, 11:45 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Dumped my catch can many times. Never seen anything like this. Only time I've ever seen a glitter or anything is first change on a new motor.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:51 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by agentf1
Not to change the subject or hijack your thread but does anybody else here use GoldPlug magnetic drain plugs? They are a SUPER strong magnet and I could not believe how much more they capture over a regular magnetic drain plug. I could not believe the little afro like ball of metal dust on it the first time I changed my oil, so much I was concerned. I have been doing oil analysis from Blackstone for a while now and they always come back indicating my motor is perfect and nothing is out of the ordinary.

My question is for others using these plugs how much metal do you see on it after a 2 to 3000 mile oil change?

And for anybody not using these magnetic drain plugs I recommend that you do, you will be amazed at what they pull out of your oil.

As far as the catch can I do not have one but don't they pull the oil out of the mist and keep it from being sucked into the intake. I would think that you would not be getting any metal in that from bearings or anything and it would have to be from the catch can or oil additives not your motor but then I am no expert. Please keep us informed as to what you find.
My first guess is that the glitter-fairy dust is in fact this very fine ferrous material that you find on the magnetic plugs.

Not sure if it could be trapped inside aerosol oil mist or not. But also its possible that more than mist flows to the can.

I guess I could take the filter medium out of the can and iliminate the medium as a possible source.

DH
Old 02-24-2015, 12:02 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Unreal
Dumped my catch can many times. Never seen anything like this. Only time I've ever seen a glitter or anything is first change on a new motor.
Okay thanks, just wanted to make sure you are checking the film left in bottom of can. I have dumped catch can oil into clear plastic water bottle thinking I could see some sediment or suspension but I couldn't. Only visible in method I prescribed.

DH
Old 02-26-2015, 12:18 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

BUMP !!

If you have a black EE Catch Can please check for goldish glitter in bottom of can after dumping oil using direct sunlight or flashlight

DH
Old 02-26-2015, 04:07 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BLW BY
I'm the other guy with fairy dust.
Mine had about 10x more than Howie's. His trapped oil had 3500 miles on it, mine had 2x the volume, 1 track day and about 500 street miles.
Doesn't bother me as much as it does Howie. I would just figure it was the bronze valve guides but Howie has powder metal type.
I have 75,000 miles on the lower end and 15,000 on the WCCH, in 25,000 I'm going to pull it apart and freshen everything up.
This motor runs like a 'Raped Ape' (we know raped apes are fast because no has ever seen one) puts down 545 RWHP.
I'm not too concerned with the motor it's everything else that breaks.
Steve

When will you be checking your can again?

DH
Old 02-26-2015, 05:32 PM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I use a can opener to cut around the join and open the filter to look for any metal etc and so far not even a fleck in the sunlight under high magnification - thank heavens.

Car is not used for track though.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:38 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Subbed, don't have a catch can, but good luck. Hope its not serious!
Old 02-26-2015, 10:37 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ZIE06Bernie
I use a can opener to cut around the join and open the filter to look for any metal etc and so far not even a fleck in the sunlight under high magnification - thank heavens.

Car is not used for track though.
I have never cut open an oil filter so I don't know how easy it is to see some thing as small as the tiniest glitter you can imagine. Wish you had an EE black can.

DH
Old 02-26-2015, 10:38 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Subbed, don't have a catch can, but good luck. Hope its not serious!
Thanks!

Its never too late to get a can. 3 out of 3 motors I have checked have this

DH
Old 02-26-2015, 10:41 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Thanks Rocketman for the included picture.

Here his his can after only 275 miles (no track).

This is high magnification so you might need to download and then enlarge. The white specs in the bottom of his can are the gold glitter fairy dust.

If you have a black can please dump oil and check remaining oil residue!!

DH
Old 02-27-2015, 04:17 AM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I have never cut open an oil filter so I don't know how easy it is to see some thing as small as the tiniest glitter you can imagine. Wish you had an EE black can.

DH
Yes I see the black can foto above which makes it easy to see the suspended particles.

I inspect with eye glasses (25 times magnification) inside the filter and drain the dregs onto a piece of paper to examine. The only question I ask myself is whether the specks could be caught in the filter paper and therefore not suspended, but it is still heartening that nothing is visible.

One would expect at least something to be visible in the filter dregs if there was a problem and more so in the filter than in the catch can. After all there is a shipload more oil through the filter than the measly bit in a catch can and theoretically the metal should not escape the filter.

I would have thought it odd to have flecks in a catch can and not have a load more in the filter. Perhaps your filter may hold a dirty secret.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:43 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ZIE06Bernie
Yes I see the black can foto above which makes it easy to see the suspended particles.

I inspect with eye glasses (25 times magnification) inside the filter and drain the dregs onto a piece of paper to examine. The only question I ask myself is whether the specks could be caught in the filter paper and therefore not suspended, but it is still heartening that nothing is visible.

One would expect at least something to be visible in the filter dregs if there was a problem and more so in the filter than in the catch can. After all there is a shipload more oil through the filter than the measly bit in a catch can and theoretically the metal should not escape the filter.

I would have thought it odd to have flecks in a catch can and not have a load more in the filter. Perhaps your filter may hold a dirty secret.
You may be right. I just changed my oil/filter but maybe Rocketman can examin his oil filter for us.

DH
Old 03-05-2015, 01:10 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Bump. Any news?
Old 03-05-2015, 04:30 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Bump. Any news?
I'm waiting for more guys to seriously check their cans. All 3 of the 3 motors I have checked with black EE cans have it.

Rocket man will be checking his again soon, I'm sure.

I will check mine again this or next weekend.

Hopefully we can get better pictures.

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 03-05-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Gizmo5
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm waiting for more guys to seriously check their cans. All 3 of the 3 motors I have checked with black EE cans have it.

Rocket man will be checking his again soon, I'm sure.

I will check mine again this or next weekend.

Hopefully we can get better pictures.

DH
I'll check mine this weekend, got on it a bunch since this thread started, should have something in there...

Get notified of new replies

To ALERT !!! Do You Have Fairy Dust In Your Oil ??

Old 03-05-2015, 11:32 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gizmo5
I'll check mine this weekend, got on it a bunch since this thread started, should have something in there...
Great, thanks. Do you think you can try to take a picture like Rocketman did above ??

DH
Old 03-05-2015, 11:40 PM
Gizmo5
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great, thanks. Do you think you can try to take a picture like Rocketman did above ??

DH
Of course

I dont think theres any other way to show you guys otherwise lol
Old 03-06-2015, 01:35 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Howie,
I was just getting ready for a track day and emptied my catch can. It is black also. I have the goldish, copper dust in the bottom also!! I wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't looking for it. Put a flashlight on it and it's very clearly there. I took a pic, if you PM me your email I will send it to you to post. I am picture posting challenged!

My car is a 2011 Zo7 and it is the fastest, best Z I have owned. Runs insane w / 19K on her, several track days.

Quick Reply: [Z06] ALERT !!! Do You Have Fairy Dust In Your Oil ??