Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Not ignorant, just want reassurance

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:55 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Factor in getting the heads done with your purchase price, then relax and drive it.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:23 PM
Chris Bert
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the exact same thing you're about to do. Traded in my '14 mustang GT in on an '08 z06. I say do it. Personally, I'm under the thinking, if something is gonna break it's gonna break. I daily my car right now and once I get the money to "fix" the heads(if there's a problem) I'll do it then. I know there is no safe mileage to know if anything will happen, but I would like to think after 56k miles I maybe I'm safe. I'll still have them checked when it goes in the shop though
Old 02-26-2015, 11:01 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock36
I thought your heads were already reworked and doing fine?
They were. I crashed that car into a wall at the track. I now own an 06 which just turned 26K miles.

I paid for a 4yr/48K Vehicle One warranty through my local dealer. Everything is covered with zero deductable.

Will rework these heads before this warranty expires.

DH
Old 02-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennis_pr0
If Chevy had not done a recall on this where the will take care of the issue out of warranty if it happens, I can't justify spending 35-40k on a used car with the possibility of a valve problem and potentially the engine going because of it. Thanks guys.
Take matters into your own hands. You are essentially buying a sports car with super-car performance for a fraction of what a euro car with the same, or comparable performance would offer. Just plan to re-work the top end. These are Chevy V8's, and probably one of the easiest engine platforms on the planet to work on. Either swap the heads yourself, if you have the competence, or pay someone else to do it for you. Figure 4K, labor and parts for the whole deal. If you pay someone else to do this, just make sure they know what the hell they are doing, and that would not include "any" Chevy dealer.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:54 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennis_pr0
I have read the threads on the valve issue for the Z06. I have read that it only affects a small percentage of the Z06's, and I have been on many car forums so I know how small problems get escalated into monsters on forums. I just want some reassurance and accurate information before I decide to buy a used, out of warranty, Z06.

So I currently have a 14 mustang gt, it's awesome, but I am just not satisfied. I got a great deal on my GT, and I could sell it, make a few bucks and get a used Z. I already found a few in the area under 20k miles going for 35-40k. My question is, ow concerned should I be about this valve issue? If I buy a Z, it would be an 06-07, so it would be out of warranty. Chevy has identified that there is a problem and obviously if it's in warranty, it's covered. But how about for people, like myself, that buy it out of warranty. I certainly would not want to drop 20k on a new engine with a car that has 20k miles on it. If that happened, obviously it is design flaw, as no car should ever ave engine failure below 100k miles unless not maintained properly or abused.

I am seriously ready to do this, but I don't want to even have to think about the possibility of spending 20k on a new engine if this does happen. This is an 80k dollar car new, and should not have issues like this. So if I bought the car, out of warranty, and something happened, would Chevy step up or would I just be screwed 20k dollars? Also, for those out of warranty peoples on here, what do you guys do? Do you buy aftermarket warranties? I am ready to buy but need peace of mind before I do. Thanks in advance guys!
I don't think it makes any difference whether there is a valve drop issue or not. You shouldn't trade in a new car with a perfectly good warranty for a 7 or 8 year old car. Yes, the Z06 is a monster on the track and can pretty much run away from any Mustang no matter what the year and also run away from a lot of high priced exotics to boot. I used to instruct at a Mustang Club event and it was a lot of fun just driving past all of the high performance Mustangs from the old ones all the way to the new high HP versions.

But, are you going to take the car to the track??? It doesn't sound like it. On the street there just isn't that much difference in performance to justify doing what you are thinking about. Yes, the Mustang is heavier and some versions may have more power but you really can't open up either car on a street or highway for more than a second or two without getting into serious speed. The kind of speed that gets you thrown in jail. The only difference in performance that you will notice is the difference in throttle opening to get a similar thrill.

Bill
Old 02-28-2015, 08:09 AM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
They were. I crashed that car into a wall at the track. I now own an 06 which just turned 26K miles.

I paid for a 4yr/48K Vehicle One warranty through my local dealer. Everything is covered with zero deductable.

Will rework these heads before this warranty expires.

DH
Oh damn... the things I missed. Well obviously you are okay that is good.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:49 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

If you don't have a spare $10k laying around for a mishap, I would avoid a z06 out of warranty.

Plus IMO a 2014 Mustang is a nicer car. I have a 2012 GT and a 2006 z06 and would take the mustang all day over the vette.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:19 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

I'd take a 2014 Viper over either Vette or Stang.

It all depends on "why" you are buying a particular car. If I was looking at a car that I wanted to have some fun it, but haul my golf back around in, and get groceries, and put around with the old lady.....I'd probably get the mustang too.

But for the shear joy of driving a performance car......the C6 Z06 is the car to get - unless you can afford the Viper.

I prefer the Viper, as the Z06 needs a lot of work to have the same power, and at the same power level, street manners are lost.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:16 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Agreed. All comes down to use. As a one and only car I'll take the stang, or even a 1le or ZL1 camaro if you are GM fan boy. For a daily driver I far prefer my mustang to the vette.

If you can swing a viper, do it. They are amazing.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:38 PM
mjhzosixxx
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree if you can't afford to take precautions on the head matter you shouldn't buy a Z. Not saying redoing the heads is a guarantee fix, but you are not hearing of any one saying that they have had their heads redone and they are still dropping valves.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:39 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

a very sensible approach...
Old 03-04-2015, 02:11 AM
guedecodiver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my z 4 days ago. I already have the estimates done by WCCH for the valve repair. No its not a cheep repair but I knew this before signing the papers and wouldn't change my mind one bit. Best car I've ever owned! Wheel and deal your seller and shave that 2k off the selling price then take that money and put it on the valve repair. Problem solved!
Old 03-04-2015, 09:42 AM
yellowzron
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 333 Likes on 195 Posts

It only has affected a small amount of cars, and it has been blown out of proportion on the forums. LMAO

I think you should by a smart car and call it a day.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowzron
It only has affected a small amount of cars, and it has been blown out of proportion on the forums. LMAO

I think you should by a smart car and call it a day.
Seems strange the people that have signed up as of late, and post this info up. .... almost as if someone has an agenda.

Guess I'll put my tinfoil hat on.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Effects a small amount of cars, so for some reason almost 90% of the ones checked on this forum are effected. So for some reason just people who register on this site have the issue. So just don't register for this board, and you will be safe. For the others who already have, you sealed your fate.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:52 AM
ZZMike
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Effects a small amount of cars, so for some reason almost 90% of the ones checked on this forum are effected. So for some reason just people who register on this site have the issue. So just don't register for this board, and you will be safe. For the others who already have, you sealed your fate.

Pure gold
Old 03-04-2015, 10:58 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
"Respected" forum member davidcroft would agree... https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ide-issue.html

Gotta keep an eye on that pesky #7 cylinder sleeve though.

Get notified of new replies

To Not ignorant, just want reassurance

Old 03-04-2015, 11:33 AM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Bert
I did the exact same thing you're about to do. Traded in my '14 mustang GT in on an '08 z06. I say do it. Personally, I'm under the thinking, if something is gonna break it's gonna break. I daily my car right now and once I get the money to "fix" the heads(if there's a problem) I'll do it then. I know there is no safe mileage to know if anything will happen, but I would like to think after 56k miles I maybe I'm safe. I'll still have them checked when it goes in the shop though
I still can't believe this is going on around here

Just gonna say this...you were warned. Sorry if this is harsh, but anyone who owns an LS7, and doesn't have the guides checked is not thinking clearly. I've seen quite a few members around here who thought they were fine, then next thing you know, they're looking for a new motor. My old man used to say "you can pay me now, or you can pay me later"...It's either 3 grand now to have the heads fixed, or 15 grand when the motor pops. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones who gets 100k on the motor without any issues...but maybe you won't be.

I would suggest NOT buying a C6Z if you cannot afford to have the heads fixed or checked immediately. It is simply not a cheap car to own or repair.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:41 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

$3k with a cam/etc and other performance parts.

Parts are $800-900. If you do it yourself it can be done for under $1k. If you pay a shop, $1700-1800. A lot of people add a bunch of performance parts at the same time and drive price up, but just a basic fix isn't more than a set of tires.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
"Respected" forum member davidcroft would agree... https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ide-issue.html

Gotta keep an eye on that pesky #7 cylinder sleeve though.
Well I dunno about the member you speak of, but in the circles I live in, there have been plenty of sleeve cracks from idiots running too much boost or spray, cause "so and so did it, so it must be OK". The guys who run this engine in serious competition events, with power adders, either send it out for sleeve replacement, or go with a different block.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Not ignorant, just want reassurance