Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Not ignorant, just want reassurance

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:56 AM
Tennis_pr0
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Not ignorant, just want reassurance

I have read the threads on the valve issue for the Z06. I have read that it only affects a small percentage of the Z06's, and I have been on many car forums so I know how small problems get escalated into monsters on forums. I just want some reassurance and accurate information before I decide to buy a used, out of warranty, Z06.

So I currently have a 14 mustang gt, it's awesome, but I am just not satisfied. I got a great deal on my GT, and I could sell it, make a few bucks and get a used Z. I already found a few in the area under 20k miles going for 35-40k. My question is, ow concerned should I be about this valve issue? If I buy a Z, it would be an 06-07, so it would be out of warranty. Chevy has identified that there is a problem and obviously if it's in warranty, it's covered. But how about for people, like myself, that buy it out of warranty. I certainly would not want to drop 20k on a new engine with a car that has 20k miles on it. If that happened, obviously it is design flaw, as no car should ever ave engine failure below 100k miles unless not maintained properly or abused.

I am seriously ready to do this, but I don't want to even have to think about the possibility of spending 20k on a new engine if this does happen. This is an 80k dollar car new, and should not have issues like this. So if I bought the car, out of warranty, and something happened, would Chevy step up or would I just be screwed 20k dollars? Also, for those out of warranty peoples on here, what do you guys do? Do you buy aftermarket warranties? I am ready to buy but need peace of mind before I do. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 02-26-2015, 12:01 PM
RobsVette04
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 244 Posts

Well, if you buy it, I would certainly have the heads reworked and valves taken care of.

Without a warranty, pending something terrible happened, GM isn't going to do a thing about it.

If you buy the car, which I would as they are SO awesome, just spend the $3k on the work to give yourself peace of mind.

You will literally not stop thinking about it until the precautionary work (not a 100% guarantee) is done.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:09 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsVette04
Well, if you buy it, I would certainly have the heads reworked and valves taken care of.

Without a warranty, pending something terrible happened, GM isn't going to do a thing about it.

If you buy the car, which I would as they are SO awesome, just spend the $3k on the work to give yourself peace of mind.

You will literally not stop thinking about it until the precautionary work (not a 100% guarantee) is done.
100%
Old 02-26-2015, 12:10 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,070 Posts

You must not have owned very many new cars. Manufacturers put warranties on them for a reason. My Chevy truck had flawed cylinder heads (2002 5.3L) that cracked and GM knew about the problem and redesigned the heads in later years. Had to pay out of my own pocket because it was out of warranty. So saying a car should never have engine problems is a naive statement. Just ask the C7 owners who have had their engines replaced under warranty.

That said, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Get the heads checked out or just plan an extra ~$2K into the budget to have the cylinder heads replaced.

Good luck.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:27 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be a devil's advocate here.

I love the Z06, a year ago I bought a 2008 certified preowned with 6K miles on it, bought GMPP. I drove it as a daily driver - mostly on city streets - for less than a year, and it dropped a valve and engine blew. New engine put in under GMPP, I didn't pay a cent. I sold it immediately, lost some real money given depreciation and what I'd put into the car. I loved that car.

Getting the heads done and valves replaced provides some peace of mind, but does it solve the problem such that you don't have to think about it anymore? No. Even with the head fix, you're still going to have the engine checked for valve guide wear every X number of miles and, depending on your disposition, may not sleep well at night or be disgruntled.

After looking at various cars, I still love corvettes and want to get another one, whether an C6 base or Grand Sport (would supercharge it) or the C7 stingray or Z06.

But if you were my friend, I'd recommend against getting the C6 Z06. Sorry guys.

Last edited by Adam_W; 02-26-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:53 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam_W
I'll be a devil's advocate here.

I love the Z06, a year ago I bought a 2008 certified preowned with 6K miles on it, bought GMPP. I drove it as a daily driver - mostly on city streets - for less than a year, and it dropped a valve and engine blew. New engine put in under GMPP, I didn't pay a cent. I sold it immediately, lost some real money given depreciation and what I'd put into the car. I loved that car.

Getting the heads done and valves replaced provides some peace of mind, but does it solve the problem such that you don't have to think about it anymore? No. Even with the head fix, you're still going to have the engine checked for valve guide wear every X number of miles and, depending on your disposition, may not sleep well at night or be disgruntled.

After looking at various cars, I still love corvettes and want to get another one, whether an C6 base or Grand Sport (would supercharge it) or the C7 stingray or Z06.

But if you were my friend, I'd recommend against getting the C6 Z06. Sorry guys.
Are you kidding? Im so happy with my car that i cant see straight. Best car ive ever owned! Disagree 110%.

Yes.... having my heads done as we speak and will post WCCH guide measurements in my original post today.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:02 PM
Tennis_pr0
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If Chevy had not done a recall on this where the will take care of the issue out of warranty if it happens, I can't justify spending 35-40k on a used car with the possibility of a valve problem and potentially the engine going because of it. Thanks guys.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:26 PM
Grozny
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennis_pr0
If Chevy had not done a recall on this where the will take care of the issue out of warranty if it happens, I can't justify spending 35-40k on a used car with the possibility of a valve problem and potentially the engine going because of it. Thanks guys.
It sounds like you've answered your own question. I too would like to pick up a Z06, but the risk isn't worth it to me. I was hoping Tadge and GM would have tried to make the situation right, but they didn't. Buying a used Z06 out of warranty is a gamble. A 3rd party warranty from everything I've read is worthless. So if you buy a Z06, be prepared with the possibility of spending $12,000 on a new engine if you don't address the issue. Simply look at the classifieds. There's a AO Z06 right now with a dropped valve. To say the issue is blown out of proportion isn't really known either. Many people proactively addressed the valves before a failure at their own expense, so GM has no data of those cars actually failing. All I know is that I'd feel pretty stupid knowing what I do, and still deciding to buy the car. You'd really have no room to get mad at this point. It's not like the people who bought these cars new, hardly drove them, and then had a valve failure out of warranty. You're aware. If you elect to believe it won't happen to you, well that's a different story.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:29 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 841 Posts

Buy one with the heads already done, or plan on having it done. Not the end of the world. My 2c!
Old 02-26-2015, 02:49 PM
Z06_1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "..only a small number of cars affected.." myth has been thoroughly debunked at this point in the game.

If you can't get a warranty, or you are not mechanically inclined, or do not want to pay the $1,500 - $2,000 (a bit more if you replace some parts with non-factory items), then yeah, don't buy the car.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:53 PM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_1
The "..only a small number of cars affected.." myth has been thoroughly debunked at this point in the game.

If you can't get a warranty, or you are not mechanically inclined, or do not want to pay the $1,500 - $2,000 (a bit more if you replace some parts with non-factory items), then yeah, don't buy the car.
Which, for perspective, is about what a set of good tires cost on the C6Z and those are consumable.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:57 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Check out Vehicle One warranty.

I have a close relationship with my Chevy dealer who sold me the policy. They reassured me that heads will be replaced if out of spec and engine replaced if catastrophic failure. They say its just as good as GMPP and its owned by same company, Allay.

I was able to get the warrany on an 06 with 17.8K miles.

It was not cheap. But I already have had a water pump, coolant reservoir cap and shifter replaced at no charge.

My heads will be reworked before this warranty is up.

DH
Old 02-26-2015, 05:47 PM
jitsu10
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie

I have a close relationship with my Chevy dealer who sold me the policy. They reassured me that heads will be replaced if out of spec and engine replaced if catastrophic failure. They say its just as good as GMPP and its owned by same company, Allay.

It was not cheap. But I already have had a water pump, coolant reservoir cap and shifter replaced at no charge.

DH
I hope you got all that in writing.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:17 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Like everyone ielse is saying. Don't buy it if you can't afford or don't want to fix the heads. Or see if you can buy one with them fixed already.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:30 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

I would suggest you drive a Grand Sport and a Z06. Both drive similar but you will see the difference in the power of the LS7. Many of us who own the Z think it is worth the cost and maintenance to own this car.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:45 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by C6z06man
Like everyone ielse is saying. Don't buy it if you can't afford or don't want to fix the heads. Or see if you can buy one with them fixed already.
Fixed already? Nobody seems to know what the fix is. You can reset the clock and start with a fresh set of heads. You can experiment and try different valve guides, different valves, different spring and different rockers. There are a lot of ideas and suggestions. But I have not heard of a definite fix. Like others have said, we are just kicking the can down the road. I'll be checking my replacement heads down the road.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:54 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by ratomicZ06
Are you kidding? Im so happy with my car that i cant see straight. Best car ive ever owned! Disagree 110%.

Yes.... having my heads done as we speak and will post WCCH guide measurements in my original post today.

Get notified of new replies

To Not ignorant, just want reassurance

Old 02-26-2015, 07:56 PM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie

DH
I thought your heads were already reworked and doing fine?
Old 02-26-2015, 08:01 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

its your car and your money.....I had mine done....yes they were out of spec
Old 02-26-2015, 08:42 PM
wrh3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from a 2012 Grand Sport, I think the LS7 is that much better that I don't mind using my warranty or paying to get the heads corrected before the warranty is up.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Not ignorant, just want reassurance