Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Brodix BR7?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 04:10 PM
guedecodiver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brodix BR7?

So being new to the z world and wanting to protect my investment I've done a bit of research. Start off I'm wanting minimal down time for the car. I looked at the built Brodix heads from WCCH. since they were so well represented I figured I would get a est from them. My other option was get a set of heads straight from Brodix. I'm not going to price punch or slam anyone here but did find a less expensive way working with JEGS and Brodix. I have on order the BR7 heads and wanted to know if anyone has had any issues with these? They come complete out of the box with dual springs and locks, bronze guides, ss exhaust and titanium intake.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:31 PM
djfury05
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The difference between the Jegs BR7 and WCCH BR7 are that WCCH actually does additional work on them from Brodix I think. Brodix are good to go. Sometimes I wish I would have gotten them over the WCCH stg 2 LS7's but they would have cost about $1500+ more I believe the way I wanted them.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:07 PM
ASASSN
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Br7 ftw!!

Originally Posted by djfury05
The difference between the Jegs BR7 and WCCH BR7 are that WCCH actually does additional work on them from Brodix I think. Brodix are good to go. Sometimes I wish I would have gotten them over the WCCH stg 2 LS7's but they would have cost about $1500+ more I believe the way I wanted them.
I had LMR do H/C/I using the BR7. I had them use their CNC program. Nothing special, 2 inch headers, FAST 102 and 102 TB. I also keep C16 in it as I only drive it once a month, sometimes less. Anyway just under 650 to the tires and same with torque. I LOVE it!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by guedecodiver
So being new to the z world and wanting to protect my investment I've done a bit of research. Start off I'm wanting minimal down time for the car. I looked at the built Brodix heads from WCCH. since they were so well represented I figured I would get a est from them. My other option was get a set of heads straight from Brodix. I'm not going to price punch or slam anyone here but did find a less expensive way working with JEGS and Brodix. I have on order the BR7 heads and wanted to know if anyone has had any issues with these? They come complete out of the box with dual springs and locks, bronze guides, ss exhaust and titanium intake.

If you decide to use the Brodix heads make sure you spec. them with exhaust valve seals. I say this because Brodix sells them without exhaust valve seals.

Last edited by Larry Myers; 03-04-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:27 AM
lucxy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Myers
If you decide to use the Brodix heads make sure you spec. them with exhaust valve seals. I say this because Brodix sells them without exhaust valve seals.
I got my brodix 265cc done by WCCH with single PSI springs, Del West Ti intake and Ti exhaust valves. I am not sure about valve seals. What is the downside if I dont have valve seals?

Last edited by lucxy; 03-05-2015 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:40 AM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Richard WCCH did my Brodix BR7 Heads almost two years ago...Stage two...New DEL WEST Ti/mo intakes, with hardened insert, SS exhaust Valves DEL WEST...CHE rockers, bronze CHE guides, BT dual springs...Valve train is quiet, no issues to date...

Last edited by LT5 John; 03-05-2015 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:34 AM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by LT5 John

Richard WCCH did my Brodix BR7 Heads almost two years ago...Stage two...New DEL WEST Ti/mo intakes, with hardened insert, SS exhaust Valves DEL WEST...CHE rockers, bronze CHE guides, BT dual springs...Valve train is quiet, no issues to date...

How many miles on them now.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:50 AM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lucxy
I got my brodix 265cc done by WCCH with single PSI springs, Del West Ti intake and Ti exhaust valves. I am not sure about valve seals. What is the downside if I dont have valve seals?
Excessive oil consumption. I'm talking about one quart in 350 miles or two quarts in a track day. Smell of oil in the car. Visible smoke behind the car.

When I returned my car to the engine builder and described the symptoms he said it sounds like bad valve seals. Upon removal of the valve covers it was discovered there were no exhaust valve seals installed. We at first thought it was an inadvertent omission during assembly.

Subsequent discussion with Brodix revealed that seals were not part of their assembly process. We asked them if it would be okay to install seals and they allowed it was okay.

My engine builder then installed missing seals at no charge.

Due to horrendous winter weather here, have driven the car very little, but am reasonably confident the problem is solved.

So, based on my experience suggest you demand Brodix delivers your heads with exhaust valve seals installed.

Last edited by Larry Myers; 03-05-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lucxy
If your heads were missing these seals you would know it. On my car the deficiency manifested it'self immediately. Smoke on start up, excessive oil consumption, oil smell in the car.

In view of the fact your heads were reworked by WCCH, I can't imagine the shop would return them to you without seals.

When I learned what my problem was I talked to several shop owners and none of them had ever heard of new heads being sold without seals.

Last edited by Larry Myers; 03-05-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:23 PM
Z0-SICK
Instructor

Not trying to jack this thread but how are these heads comparable to rebuilding our factory ones? What the better option and why?
Old 03-05-2015, 12:54 PM
Turbo2L
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0-SICK
Not trying to jack this thread but how are these heads comparable to rebuilding our factory ones? What the better option and why?
They flow better out of the box, thicker deck, and 6 bolt design.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:00 PM
guedecodiver
Intermediate

So I just got the run down from brodix. The BR7 heads I order for $1600ish have all ss valves, bronze gudies, dual springs, and basically turn key out of the box. I expressed my concern about the ss intakes and he said that most all there heads have ss unless going to a 7500 or higher rpm in witch the ti would be better. The "flow" on the heads are better than stock ones. I then asked whats the difference in the cnc version vs the nirmal BR7. He said about 30hp gain. For my purpose daily driving and playing everynow and then what I got was the perfect application for the money. When I decide to boost it and cam it then I can spend the money at that point to upgrade whats needed. He also made a note for all valve seals to be installed on my order. For street application this is needed. For race application he said it was not. Hope this helps clear some of the waters with the brodix. As for wcch heads with the brodix core its a bullet proof build provided you change the stock ti valves to the in spec ti valves. Sounds to me GM went cheep with the overall design with the OEM LS7 heads. Out of spec ti valves and garbage guides has been root problem.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:45 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by guedecodiver
So I just got the run down from brodix. The BR7 heads I order for $1600ish have all ss valves, bronze gudies, dual springs, and basically turn key out of the box. I expressed my concern about the ss intakes and he said that most all there heads have ss unless going to a 7500 or higher rpm in witch the ti would be better. The "flow" on the heads are better than stock ones. I then asked whats the difference in the cnc version vs the nirmal BR7. He said about 30hp gain. For my purpose daily driving and playing everynow and then what I got was the perfect application for the money. When I decide to boost it and cam it then I can spend the money at that point to upgrade whats needed. He also made a note for all valve seals to be installed on my order. For street application this is needed. For race application he said it was not. Hope this helps clear some of the waters with the brodix. As for wcch heads with the brodix core its a bullet proof build provided you change the stock ti valves to the in spec ti valves. Sounds to me GM went cheep with the overall design with the OEM LS7 heads. Out of spec ti valves and garbage guides has been root problem.
Did Brodix say what material they are using for the valve seats? I've heard they use AMPCO 45 which would be compatible with TiMo valves as well as stainless.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:56 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

At Summit Point and later at NCM Motorsports Track my car used two quarts of oil in about 75 miles.

So am assuming by track, Brodix means 1/8th 1/4th track(i.e., drag strip). In this instance it seems logical that flogging your engine for +/- ten seconds, seals not required. The problem with this position is, how many drivers only drive their car on the strip.

Don't misunderstand, I believe Brodix produces good components. I'm very pleased with my car. With their heads (after seals installed) and other assorted parts it makes 550 rwhp and runs like a scalded *** dog. And uses no oil.

My gripe is when my engine builder removed the heads from the box, had there been a tag affixed warning, "no seals installed," it would have saved all involved much heartburn, gnashing of teeth ect. ect. Additionally, I would now have no reason to whine and complain.

Well, I could bitch about going through a $160. case of oil. lol

I stand by my previous comment. If your specifying Brodix heads for your LS7 be clear about the need for exhaust valve seals.

Last edited by Larry Myers; 03-05-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:13 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Actually the non-CNC'd BR7 flows less than a stock LS7 head. According to Brodix's web site they flow 360ish on the intake.

Here's LG's flow numbers on the stock LS7 heads.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...w-numbers.html

Personally, I think it's a downgrade going to the non-CNC'd BR7s.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:02 PM
[Cerberus]
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

WCCH buys these from Brodix with the ports "as cast" (extra stock is left on), all other machining is done. This way they can run their own port program and shape the ports to their specs.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by djfury05
When my GMPP expires march 2017, I am going with the wccH Br7 with the exhaust valve seals. This is a great thread. Thanks OP for posting this.

Get notified of new replies

To Brodix BR7?

Old 03-06-2015, 12:42 AM
guedecodiver
Intermediate

Should receive the heads next week. Ill dyno her once complete to see what real results are from the non cnc heads. Either way im happy just knowing my girl isn't going to blow up on me.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:58 AM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Brodix manufactures some of the best heads in the business. All the incorrect machining with the OEM LS7 heads is bypassed with this route.

Did you use the stock intake manifold, or FAST? How did the ports match up?
Did you use OEM exhaust manifolds, or headers and how did the ports line up?
Old 03-07-2015, 08:18 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Richard talked me out of the Brodix heads with the Crower roller rockers. I called him with my credit card ready. I went the Vengeance route instead with stage 2 porting. Time will tell if he was right. My car now has 11000 miles on the WCCH heads with no issues. My cam is stock.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Brodix BR7?