Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Just put 1/2" Spacers all The Way Around

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Z0-SICK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just put 1/2" Spacers all The Way Around

I just wanted to post some before and after pics of the Z with 12mm or 1/2" spacers and longer studs. I called around to a couple different places listed on here and couldn't get the answers I needed. Luckily I stumbled across Motorsport Tech and Lenny. He knew exactly what I wanted and took care of my order fast. I received everything within a week and slapped it all on in one day.

I had to remove all four hubs to get the studs in through the back. This isn't an easy job even if your mechanically inclined. The most difficult thing is the lower knuckle ball joint. I picked up a cheap separator for HF but it was too small for this BJ. Do yourself a favor and get the right tool. The studs went in easy with a little PB Blaster and a Dewalt Impact, not the automotive impact, the smaller one. It worked perfect for this and didn't spin the studs. They came out super easy with a cheap HF air hammer. Hit me up if you need details.

I told Lenny that I wanted to be able to still use my factory lug nuts and he assured me they would be perfect and they were.

Lenny
Motorsport Technology
(775) 351-1000
motorsportjr@gmail.com

First set of pics are before
Attached Images     

Last edited by Z0-SICK; 03-05-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:19 PM
Z0-SICK
Instructor

After
Attached Images     
Old 03-05-2015, 08:22 PM
Z0-SICK
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z0-SICK
After
more
Attached Images   
Old 03-05-2015, 09:27 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

looking good!! now you need ZR1 side skirts
Old 03-05-2015, 09:58 PM
markzeronine
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks badass. Are those 285/345 mpss or do the spacers just give that illusion with stock tires? I have the previously mentioned combo on my car lowered all the way down. I don't think I could put a spacer on the rear without ripping the fender apart. The front looks very sunken to me though. If they're 345s do you think you'd be able to lower the car without rubbing issues in the rear?
Old 03-05-2015, 10:39 PM
PhilT3
Intermediate

Nice! Should've came like that from GM!
Old 03-05-2015, 11:03 PM
Z0-SICK
Instructor

Originally Posted by MUKAK
looking good!! now you need ZR1 side skirts
Thx, ZR1 spoiler and side skirts to follow for sure. Taking a serious look at the extended spoiler.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:12 PM
Z0-SICK
Instructor

Originally Posted by markzeronine
Looks badass. Are those 285/345 mpss or do the spacers just give that illusion with stock tires? I have the previously mentioned combo on my car lowered all the way down. I don't think I could put a spacer on the rear without ripping the fender apart. The front looks very sunken to me though. If they're 345s do you think you'd be able to lower the car without rubbing issues in the rear?
Your 100% correct 285 / 345 mpss. Actually I lowered it on the stock spacers at the same time and it has plenty of clearance. I was also worried that with the spacers and lowering that I would run into some rubbing but so far after a week of settling it's good.

I was more concerned with the rear because the front tires are recessed more than the rears. However, it turned out okay. The drive to my and from my house is pretty intense with some decent turns at above 60mph both declining and inclining etc and I have yet to hear any rubbing.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:13 PM
Z0-SICK
Instructor

Originally Posted by PhilT3
Nice! Should've came like that from GM!
+1

Old 03-06-2015, 02:12 AM
usmcpony
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

These look good. What was the total for everything? Also, the original hub is 1/2". How exactly does the spacers slip on? Thanks

Last edited by usmcpony; 03-06-2015 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:33 AM
Z0-SICK
Instructor

Originally Posted by usmcpony
These look good. What was the total for everything? Also, the original hub is 1/2". How exactly does the spacers slip on? Thanks

Out the door with 2 day UPS was around $260. Spacers were $45 ea. and the studs $3 ea.

There are three #55 hex bolts holding the hub on the knuckle. The real problem is the bottom one can't be accessed because the lower ball joint is blocking it. If it wasn't for that then everything could remain intact and you could just remove the hub to put the studs on.

Once the studs are pressed in and everything is reassembled the spacer goes in between the hub and the rim.

Let me share a couple a pointers that I learned the hard way and didn't read anywhere.

1 - find the correct ball joint remover

2 - some bolts require blue and red thread lock. Take some time and clean them real good before you put them back on.

3 - Zip Tie the CV axle to the upper control arm and out of your way. I left it dangling around and accidentally pinched the boot. Well guess what that boot isn't sold at any of the local chains and is $85 at the dealership. That's for 1 boot!

4 - the hex bolts that hold the hub to the knuckle go back in the same hole they came out of or you will be fighting a tough battle on the lower one when it comes to torquing them.

5 - My axle nut was surprisingly loose. When it goes back on its torqued to 140 ft lbs, and needs red thread lock.

6 - make sure your car is off the ground enough to give you room to pull hard on the torque wrench from under the car.

That's all I can think off for now. I'll add to the list if I remember anything else.

Last edited by Z0-SICK; 03-06-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:36 AM
markzeronine
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0-SICK
Your 100% correct 285 / 345 mpss. Actually I lowered it on the stock spacers at the same time and it has plenty of clearance. I was also worried that with the spacers and lowering that I would run into some rubbing but so far after a week of settling it's good.

I was more concerned with the rear because the front tires are recessed more than the rears. However, it turned out okay. The drive to my and from my house is pretty intense with some decent turns at above 60mph both declining and inclining etc and I have yet to hear any rubbing.

Cool, thanks for the info. I don't know if I want to tackle another project, everything I've done on this car has fought me and turned into 2 weekend affairs when they should have been one afternoon type of jobs lol. I would love to though
Old 03-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Z0-SICK
Instructor

Originally Posted by markzeronine
Cool, thanks for the info. I don't know if I want to tackle another project, everything I've done on this car has fought me and turned into 2 weekend affairs when they should have been one afternoon type of jobs lol. I would love to though
Yea I've almost put my foot into it a couple times. I was installing headers and an exhaust on my last Vette and under the car cursing up a storm when my wife stormed into the garage because she thought I was about to fight someone, lol.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:42 PM
vteclol
Heel & Toe

Looks awesome! I am definitely doing this mod this spring.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:46 PM
k9molly813
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great, do you get any wobble.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:14 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

"Zip Tie the CV axle to the upper control arm and out of your way. I left it dangling around and accidentally pinched the boot. Well guess what that boot isn't sold at any of the local chains and is $85 at the dealership. That's for 1 boot!"

I've experienced this issue on my C5 Z06. I nicked the boot and didn't realize it until it was too late. I bought the boot kit online for a decent price but it never got installed correctly so I ended up purchasing a complete need Axle lesson learned.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:35 PM
Z0-SICK
Instructor

Originally Posted by k9molly813
Looks great, do you get any wobble.
Not yet, I've been up to about 90 on the hwy. tomorrow we have some nice weather so I'm going for a drive on a local hwy here where the speed limit is 85 which translates into 105 :-)

Get notified of new replies

To Just put 1/2" Spacers all The Way Around

Old 03-06-2015, 10:50 PM
Z0-SICK
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brandon619
"Zip Tie the CV axle to the upper control arm and out of your way. I left it dangling around and accidentally pinched the boot. Well guess what that boot isn't sold at any of the local chains and is $85 at the dealership. That's for 1 boot!"

I've experienced this issue on my C5 Z06. I nicked the boot and didn't realize it until it was too late. I bought the boot kit online for a decent price but it never got installed correctly so I ended up purchasing a complete need Axle lesson learned.
Yea I was pretty ticked. A few year ago I was replacing a ball joint on my wife's car and had everything put back together and realized I had somehow knicked the boot. I almost popped a blood vessel. I wasn't about to replace it again so I cleaned it real good and used a bicycle tire repair kit. It worked great and when we traded a it in a few year later inspected it and it was still holding up.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:07 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

A tire repair kit is a great idea, I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I run into that situation again. That GM boot kit was a pain in the *** to install and it never sealed correctly.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:11 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Looks good...I've ran spacers on my other car (non vette) and while they looked great, they vibrated like crazy and wobbled my tires bald within a year every time. Ran 8mm and 10mm....ran custom made spacers with a bigger lip to seat the wheel and nothing worked. I finally said forget it and took them off. The wheels pushed out looks great...especially if lowered.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Just put 1/2" Spacers all The Way Around