Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 lifters

Old 03-08-2015, 05:11 PM
CyberZ
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LS7 lifters

Okay I've been reading about lifters for 2 days now so I thought id ask you folks lol. I have heard many things regarding stock lifters and aftermarket cams. I have heard go with a link bar setup to prevent the lifter from spinning in the plastic tray, I've heard that ls7 lifter rollers dont like increased spring pressures and aggressive cams. I have also heard that the reason the stock ls7 lifter works ok in stock motors is because of the light valve train and we see failures in dual spring, heavier valve setups.

So at this point my head is spinning and need some advice.

I will be using stock valves, heads reconditioned by American Heritage, PSI springs and K501 cam.

Please keep in mind I would prefer to not spend 700 on a set of lifters but I do like peace of mind and want to beat on the car. Thanks guys for the insight!

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-596-lu...r-lifters.aspx
Old 03-08-2015, 05:26 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CyberZ
Okay I've been reading about lifters for 2 days now so I thought id ask you folks lol. I have heard many things regarding stock lifters and aftermarket cams. I have heard go with a link bar setup to prevent the lifter from spinning in the plastic tray, I've heard that ls7 lifter rollers dont like increased spring pressures and aggressive cams. I have also heard that the reason the stock ls7 lifter works ok in stock motors is because of the light valve train and we see failures in dual spring, heavier valve setups.

I will be using stock valves, heads reconditioned by American Heritage, PSI springs and K501 cam.

Please keep in mind I would prefer to not spend 700 on a set of lifters but I do like peace of mind and want to beat on the car. Thanks guys for the insight!

Just go with the stock lifters. If you're gunna really be abusing the engine talk to Jason at Katech and then stop reading the interwebs.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:07 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Use stock lifters. I'm doing the same cam and springs(see build thread). If you're going to do any lifter just do the GM high speed lifters. But stock is fine. High speeds add a few hindered rpm of safety margin.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:24 PM
CyberZ
Instructor

I had my mind set on new replacement Ls7 lifters.

I think the reason people on the ls1 forum are seeing lifter failures is due to heavier valve train then our ls7's. I just want to be sure there isn't a better option, but I have not heard of ls7 lifter failure in a actual ls7 so who knows. I don't wanna spent 6k for a heads and cam swap and waste a lifter if I would be pushing it past it's limits.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:22 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

I'm reusing my 12k lifters. If you want to replace them regardless you might as well get the high speed lifters from Katech.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:36 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

My stock lifters have 43k on them.

I'm doing my heads and cam next week. Since im going to stronger valve springs, I opted to go with Johnson 2110 SLR lifters. These are highly recommended by Brian Tooley and they are also used in the COPO Camaros. They have forged bodies unlike other sub $400 lifters.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:19 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

My stock LS7 lifter failed and 11k. Stock motor,stock cam,stock lifters ,and running Mobil1. with 2 track days.
Lifter / cam failed on a 40 mile drive on the freeway with max RPMs @ 3k.
Take it for what its worth
Old 03-09-2015, 12:21 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ttx350z
My stock lifters have 43k on them.

I'm doing my heads and cam next week. Since im going to stronger valve springs, I opted to go with Johnson 2110 SLR lifters. These are highly recommended by Brian Tooley and they are also used in the COPO Camaros. They have forged bodies unlike other sub $400 lifters.
It's not the body that fails it the roller or bearings that ride on the cam
Old 03-09-2015, 08:39 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,087 Likes on 573 Posts

A lot of so called lifter failures are actually the fault of GM's infamous 'soft cam lobes'. It happened to me on my OEM cam.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:46 AM
djfury05
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The LS7 lifters in my car were replaced with Johnson 2126 SLR's. They were way too noisy with the aftermarket cam. You could hear the valvetrain noise inside the cabin driving down the road like you were standing over the engine bay hood open. I'm not sure if the previous owners who had it built didn't opt for checking pushrod length with new cam or what but they were entirely too loud. Much much quieter now.
The following users liked this post:
instg8er (10-08-2016)
Old 03-09-2015, 11:13 AM
amdoverclocker
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same setup with GM high speed lifters and they work great. Just opened the engine up after 3-4k on them and they look new. No worries about them at all.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:30 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

I think Katech prefers the Cadillac lifters. You can find them on their web site.

Regardless of which roller lifter you decide on, soak them in a can of oil at least overnight before you install them.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:21 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Some cam lobe profiles require a larger, open wheel design. Spring load over 400# or so would also require a different lifter. Don't asume it's a good idea to soak all brand lifters either. Morel comes pre lubed and they do not want them soaked.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:30 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,087 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Some cam lobe profiles require a larger, open wheel design. Spring load over 400# or so would also require a different lifter. Don't asume it's a good idea to soak all brand lifters either. Morel comes pre lubed and they do not want them soaked.

Most aftermarket and OEM hydraulic lifter manufacturers DO NOT recommend a pre-soak. The thinking on this has swung around in the last 10 years or so.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:15 AM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

I have had a katech torquer cam in my car since almost new, it now has 29,000 on it. I had wcch rebuild my heads at 15k and stayed with my original lifters. After 100ish track passes, track days and dozens of street pulls all is good with the original lifters, 29,000 miles with 546 rwhp.

Keep your valve train light and use good oil - I like redline personally. If you do your heads, don't let one single shaving fall into the engine!
Old 03-10-2015, 01:15 PM
Kip Fabre
Instructor

Stock or LS7 lifters are fine. Most of the lifter problem are caused by lobes that are to aggressive. They beat the hell out of the lifters. Hydraulic lifters are not designed to take those violent lobes. Sometimes they will work but if they are run on a smooth lobe the failure rate will go down. If you get an after market cam make sure its designed for your rocker ratio.Thats some of the problem. You will see an (XRGS 230/360) for a LS1 with a 1.7 that will net .612 then you will see the same lobe for LS7 with a 1.8 rocker now your have .648 plus its much more violent on the 1.8 rocker.

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 lifters

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 lifters