Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Zo6 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 10:50 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock36
Have you personally compared those to the Michelin PS2 runflats? I'm on PS2s, and they still have plenty of life, but I'm always willing to move into something better when the time comes for new tires.
No, I haven't...I had PS2's (non-RFT) on my C5Z and they were great tires. I really wanted the MPSS's for my C6Z, but they don't come in RFT for our cars in 18/19, and I want RFT. Based on the reviews of the B-stones, it sounded as if they were just as good, and several hundreds less than the PS2's.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:53 AM
NDAGRUV
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Something else to consider......

I'm a retired long haul Trucker and have learned one undeniable fact - if the tires you are running are healthy, with good tread, you will seldom, if ever, sustain a flat. I've more than four million miles under my belt and have never seen this fact fail.
Really, when was the last time you saw someone by the side of the road with their car up on a jack (unless it was "a beater and obviously run ragged")? Plus there is simply too much tread for a "nail/screw" to bite into and get a foothold - it simply gets pushed out and away from the tire.
"Flats" are prevalent, yes, but mainly on equipment that is abused. I've personally run through huge scrap yards with sharp metal shards sticking up all over the ground, multiple times a day for weeks on end, and have never sustained a flat. WHY? Because if my truck isn't racking up miles, it ain't earning me money - so I ALWAYS bought good quality tires. Every flat I ever sustained was always on some joker's trailer I was pulling that he was trying to squeeze "one more penny" out of. Guys like that ALWAYS lost money because they had mucho tire repairs and equipment down time. (CAN'T EARN IF YOU AIN'T TURNIN')

"Run flats" are merely another safety net which we soft Americans (NOTHING PERSONAL!) seem to demand. Plus the run flats have a notoriously HARSH ride!
All the Corvette owners that I have ever known are "tire savvy" and I would be willing to bet that most will never experience a flat.

Just my humble opinion.......................
My tires? Michelin's NON run flat, C6 ZO6
Old 03-26-2015, 09:57 AM
RanchoM12
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NDAGRUV
I'm a retired long haul Trucker and have learned one undeniable fact - if the tires you are running are healthy, with good tread, you will seldom, if ever, sustain a flat. I've more than four million miles under my belt and have never seen this fact fail.
Really, when was the last time you saw someone by the side of the road with their car up on a jack (unless it was "a beater and obviously run ragged")? Plus there is simply too much tread for a "nail/screw" to bite into and get a foothold - it simply gets pushed out and away from the tire.
"Flats" are prevalent, yes, but mainly on equipment that is abused. I've personally run through huge scrap yards with sharp metal shards sticking up all over the ground, multiple times a day for weeks on end, and have never sustained a flat. WHY? Because if my truck isn't racking up miles, it ain't earning me money - so I ALWAYS bought good quality tires. Every flat I ever sustained was always on some joker's trailer I was pulling that he was trying to squeeze "one more penny" out of. Guys like that ALWAYS lost money because they had mucho tire repairs and equipment down time. (CAN'T EARN IF YOU AIN'T TURNIN')

"Run flats" are merely another safety net which we soft Americans (NOTHING PERSONAL!) seem to demand. Plus the run flats have a notoriously HARSH ride!
All the Corvette owners that I have ever known are "tire savvy" and I would be willing to bet that most will never experience a flat.

Well Said!
Old 03-26-2015, 01:17 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

"Seldom" does not mean never. I daily drive company cars...get a new every year. I've had plenty of items puncture tires over the last 15 years in my company cars...which obviously have band new tires. The theory of the new tires pushing nails out of the way is just laughable. Exhibit A...found this last week in my left rear tire of my 2015 Pathfinder with only a few thousand miles on the car. 1.5" bolt punctured right through the tire.

I don't abuse my vehicles at all...everyone's luck runs out at some point. Comparing commercial big rig tires to passenger vehicle tires is a bit of a stretch.

Mine don't ride harsh...the OE Goodyear's did, I will give you that. Michelin PSS's in RFT ride excellent as well. I had two flats on my OE Goodyear's, last one was unrepairable due to proximity to the sidewall. Never had a flat in my C5Z, which did not come with runflats. Ran the OE Goodyear's and MPS2's without a single issue ever...but that was just dumb luck, not tread depth.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 03-26-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:23 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RanchoM12
Well Said!
Actually, no.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:57 AM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I too am not trying to squeeze every penny of savings out of my tires, so that's why I will continue to pay a premium on RFTs even if chances are slim for a flat.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:46 PM
Ludedude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z 06 happy
The Bridgestone Potenza RE 11 tire does not appear to be a run flat tire which I want on my Z. Correct me if this is incorrect. thanks
That's correct. The RE-11 is not a run-flat. The current "best" Bridgestone run-flat is the RE-050A
Old 03-28-2015, 06:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludedude
That's correct. The RE-11 is not a run-flat. The current "best" Bridgestone run-flat is the RE-050A
RE11 is W speed rated(168 MPH) whereas the RE050A run flat is Y speed rated(186 MPH).

The OE Goodyear's and the Michelin's are (Y) rated (186+ MPH)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Zo6 Tires