Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Pulling The Trigger, Here We Go....My Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:25 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Pulling The Trigger, Here We Go....My Build - LO BOOST

Thanks for all who have answered many questions - AZDANZ06, Unreal, the guys at ECS, coSPEED, Cajun@BER, Joe@ Powertech Performance and the devil in my left ear saying "do it"...

Car gets dropped off Wednesday. Joe @ Powertech Performance in St. Petersburg, Florida will be putting the car together, and tuning it as well. He has been great at answering questions, and making me a comfortable camper. I can be...well.... but aren't we all!!

Car is a 2008 3lz z06 with black and black/linen interior. It has 1,385 miles on it at the moment, it is bone stock with the exception of a Corsa exhaust. It will be my second Z (first Z: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...orida-car.html), and will be a weekend highway warrior. My daily is a soon to arrive M3.

Pulling The Pieces Together - What She Is Made Of:

First order of business - pulling the Heads:
Ferrea 2042P Exhaust Valves
Ferrea Bronze Guides
Tumble Polished OEM Intake Valves by DW
PSI 1511ML Springs and Katech Titanium Retainers
ARP Studs
New Gaskets, Seals, Hot Tanked, Resurfaced, etc.
Comp Cams Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade

AR Headers 1 7/8 off road pipes / X Pipe. Cerakote Ceramic Coated Graphite Black
Corsa Exhaust
ECS Supercharger Kit with Alky Control Injection - Custom Intake for S/C
160* thermo
NGK TR6
MSD Ignition Wires with Thermal Socks
Mighty Mouse Catch Can
ATI Balancer
Dewitt's Shorty with SPAL fans

LG GT2 Coilovers
Hotchkis Sway Bars

AEM Failsafe
AEM FP Gauge

After I get the car back, I will be adding some exterior add-ons as well. Post 2 will feature some of those items as the car comes together. Post 3 will be a "finished" post with commentary and some pictures.

Look forward to some comments. I can still change some of the head components, but after much research, I think that is a good setup.

Last edited by Geared; 04-07-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

THE BUILD BEGINS: THE PROCESS -

I had to drive across the state, and wanted to protect the paint from debris (i mean she only has 1,5xx miles, 17xx when I got there!!!)

All prepped, ready for the dance (painters tape, and a piece of white 3m vinyl wrap leftover from my last car):

Arrived at Powertech at around 2 pm. Joe and his team were working on some pretty nasty builds. He gave me a shop tour, and introduced me to the team of techs. Great group. We chatted for a bit - he answered several detailed questions. We ordered some more parts, and finalized the paperwork. They got right to work - before I left, they already had the heads pulled, and the exhaust off the car!

I told him it'd be fun to do a wiggle test on the heads with only 1,700 miles - would be pretty shocked if one was out of spec. That said, we didn't even bother bc I am replacing those ill-designed parts with ones that give us all more confidence. No sense in spending this kind of money on a build if you arent going to address the weakest link.

The catch can, and meth should keep the motor cleaner than it looks now!

Boost a Pump getting installed - Note - ECS does not run a Kenne Bell anymore - seems like a private label ECS made by Vortech....

Stud Kit and Balancer.

This was found in my head while cleaning - needle bearing. 1,7xx miles on the car. Joe's going to see if there are more in the oil tank. Glad the rocker arm trunions are being replaced!

Some more pics/updates:

Cleaning and upgrading rocker arm trunions:

Pressing the new Trunions into place:

Front fender removed, meth kit plumbed, and wired. Power wire was de-pinned from fuse box, new wire soldered in and heat shrunk. CLEAN!!!

Update 3/27 - Joe and his team definitely put the project into high gear. He has been great about sending me updates with pictures. Funny enough I find myself waiting each day hoping for mooooaaarr:

Heads back from machine shop, assembly completed - they look sooo good:

Suspension getting put together....Those LG's look nice in there:

Gauges wires ran, extremely clean install. Pod installed with AFR/Boost and Fuel Pressure Gauges. Thinking the silver ring / black face combo the gauges come with may look better and be easier to read on the fly than the black ring / white face.......they are easily swapped, so I'll have to play with that.

Updates 3/31 - Heads are reinstalled!

Updates 4/1: ECS Sent me the wrong thermostat, and brackets - great....I waited an extra 2 weeks longer than ECS said it would take for the Kit to begin with.....and as such ECS already has delayed my build my 2 weeks, now this. But, if that is the only curve ball, I'll be happy.

Dewitt's arrived with the SPAL fans - beautiful piece...

Pinning the crank, sealing up keyway and installing the ATI Balancer:

LFZ - a pic for you with the leaf out

Removing/Cleaning the oil pan, and rails. New Gaskets.

4/2 Update - More ECS parts missing from my kit....not cool ECS. I hope they make this right. Intercooler and Dewitts - installed.

Nice clean exhaust ports. Those studs.....are studs!

4/7 Updates: We decided to replace the oil cooler lines. They were very tightly configured, and one had a kink. We wanted to route the lines cleanly, and ensure no problems with keeping this motor cool. We are still searching for the best solution for the PS Cooler...(we may ditch the longer Z cooler, and replace it with one that has better dimensions given how tight the bay is)

Kink:

New lines -8 braided lines with AN fittings, cleanly ran, with AN fittings welded to OEM hard lines....why? because, racecar.

Aluminium Heat Tape followed up with some fire shield and SS ties:

MOOOOAAARRR 4/7:

Joe @ Powertech Performance and I agreed that we did NOT like or feel comfortable with the hose which attaches to the blower outlet as is supplied with ECS's kit. The hose has a 3" diameter, while the outlet is 2.75". As seen here:

Joe put together a new reducer coupler and a 3" polished aluminum connection pipe with bead rolled ends they made in house. Add in a few t-bolt clamps and everything fits nice and tight now. Kind of like the A&A kit :fart: ...I hope ECS follows suit, even though they claim no failures. :secret:

4/10 - We are nearly there. Joe and his team almost finished the build this week. A couple more little things - checking fittings, filling up fluids, etc...and then he will be tuning the car on the street and dyno. Obviously, the tune will be the KEY to this build. I am NOT shooting for a BIG number, in fact I will probably be shifting below red line, and have Joe keep the timing conservative.

A nice shot of the Corsa, Hotchkis, and a peak at the coated ARH Headers and LG Coilovers

Engine Bay - check out that Novi 1500, the pc'd black Piping, Taylor Ignition Wires and Mighty Mouse Can...should look real nice with the valve covers on.

I hope I don't turn into a meth addict :mullet:

Shot of the Autometer pod with AEM Fuel Pressure and AEM Boost and Air/Fuel Failsafe. Little light for the meth too -

Decisions Decisions - which wheel/tire setup do I go with? Both HRE's. 540s (polished lips/brushed centers) with MPSS or c21's (matte black with polished hardware; lighter that 540s) with Nt05r..... I may be wrapping the car matte white :secret:

4/23 - Update:

Sorry I have been busy!

Well, we blew out the clutch on the dyno (I know, you guys told me so!), needed to swap out the pulley (had the ls3 for some reason), restrictor plate (was 2.75" instead of 2.5"), and relocate the IAT sensor. I hope we will be tuning soon enough...

Last edited by Geared; 04-24-2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

reserved for future post
Old 03-16-2015, 10:32 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

That's a good size list, I almost overlooked the ECS Supercharger Kit. That's going to be one nice build you need to add a clutch too.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:37 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Im going to see how long the stocker lasts. Considering I wont be launching it, and its low miles...I am hoping to see 10k on the stocker, but we will see.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:08 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Geared
Im going to see how long the stocker lasts. Considering I wont be launching it, and its low miles...I am hoping to see 10k on the stocker, but we will see.
I would highly advise you on changing it. Your installing alot of good go fast parts and your going to need a stout clutch to hold this power and why not pay the investment now instead of having down time later?
Old 03-17-2015, 12:04 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon619
I would highly advise you on changing it. Your installing alot of good go fast parts and your going to need a stout clutch to hold this power and why not pay the investment now instead of having down time later?
Upgraded radiator? Stock cam, correct?
Old 03-17-2015, 12:10 AM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Stock radiator. Stock cam.

Edit: I pulled the trigger on a Dewitt's!

Last edited by Geared; 03-19-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:50 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm sure you are doing the new ATI harmonic balancer and forgot to put on your list... Looks good, now the wait...
Old 03-17-2015, 09:43 AM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I am not...from what I have read...not necessary. is this false?

edit: I pulled the trigger on the balancer!

Last edited by Geared; 03-19-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:46 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

new pics/info added.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Make sure you ordered the OD balancer. And if you haven't ordered do IW over ATI IMO. If you ever go DD later it can be cogged where the ATI cannot.

Skip the MSD wires, never seen anyone have good luck with them. OEM wires are great.

I prefer 6ix, and with the power you should make you may need some 7s.

I'll probably be selling my spal dual fans for cut down rad shortly. Moving over to a custom setup once I stop being lazy.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:44 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Unreal
Make sure you ordered the OD balancer. And if you haven't ordered do IW over ATI IMO. If you ever go DD later it can be cogged where the ATI cannot.

Skip the MSD wires, never seen anyone have good luck with them. OEM wires are great.

I prefer 6ix, and with the power you should make you may need some 7s.

I'll probably be selling my spal dual fans for cut down rad shortly. Moving over to a custom setup once I stop being lazy.
Thanks bud. Good luck with the fans...stop being lazy!

Can you shed a little light?

Why the OD? I was told to go with the standard size (no UD, no OD). and what do you mean by DD and cogged? This is the one I got - http://www.corvettemods.com/ATI-Supe...er_p_7590.html

I chose the MSD's bc I was always burning up the stock wires when I got headers on my last Z. I guess I could use "socks" over the stock wires. Surprised the MSD's arent good.

As to the IX's....I am open to them, and actually, thats what my supra ran on - 8ix. so they are probably better for boost. you dont think the 7's will be too cold?

Last edited by Geared; 03-19-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:59 PM
SuperchargedTundra
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What are the advantages of going with the ATI balancer over putting the stock one back on after a cam swap?
Old 03-19-2015, 07:17 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

You want an OD with a blower. It lets you run a larger blower pulley for same boost, which is less stressful on belt system and setup. Anything to make the belt system work better is good, and OD is the way to go since you get more wrap and can run a larger blower pulley.

DD=Direct drive
ECS cogs them for the ultimate vette belt setup. I would have just called ECS for any SC related stuff like the balancer.

ATI/IW are WORLDS better than stock junk balancers that come apart often.

I ran autozone wires, taylor wires, and now back to stock AC delco. The MSD seem to be the cheapest made and poorest performing. I would run a $40 set of autozone wires over them IMO and experience.

7s too cold depends, your setup should easily be 700+rwhp. 6s are good for 500-650 range.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:20 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Im not doing a cam...im pinning my crank.

however - http://auto.howstuffworks.com/harmonic-balancer.htm

preventative measure.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:23 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks, what are you using to keep your stock wire from burning on the primaries - those suckers get close

Get notified of new replies

To Pulling The Trigger, Here We Go....My Build

Old 03-19-2015, 07:31 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Nothing? Just factory metal heat shields. Never burnt a wire on my LG or ARH headers besides when I didn't push them on properly and they popped off and sat on the header.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:18 AM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Subscribing to watch this unfold. Great looking build and some nice parts. I'll add my support of the clutch while doing all of this.. especially since you will have the headers down anyway so you can do it and save some labor/time. The stock clutch in my car (13,000 miles now) has held up with a fully bolt on and big cam car making 600 whp, but it does get taking VERY good care of and has held up OK. With the blower (low boost) and meth, you will be around 100whp higher than I and more torque, which is the real killer. I think you will be very disappointed not doing the clutch now and having it slip, only to pull a lot of the same parts back off. Good luck and keep the pics and updates coming!!!
Old 03-20-2015, 10:01 AM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the kind words, and suggestions.

I too plan on taking good care of the clutch to see how long it will last. This car will not be launched, not see the drag strip, and no road course. I expect with mild shifting - it should hold up for a little while (10k and Im happy).

Also - I dont plan on running more than 4.5-5lbs of boost, which should keep my power in the 600-640 range.

am i selling myself short?

jb

Quick Reply: [Z06] Pulling The Trigger, Here We Go....My Build