Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] help! 6 speed issue!

Old 03-25-2015, 10:51 AM
alan_rogers
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help! 6 speed issue!

I have a 2007 Z 06 having shifter issues... just thought it needed an alignment. anyway I took it apart to realign the shifter and all went well with that. was it pretty easy process but still did not shift right. after further investigation seems there is some slop in the shaft where it connects to the transmission .there is a rubber bushing that has backed out of the box underneath the shifter. seems like that needs to stay inside the box and not ride the shaft. since that rubber bushing is riding the shaft it's causing play and making it huge huge pain in the *** to get in first second and especially the reverse gear. anyone have any idea if I can replace this piece or do I have to buy a whole new box that is underneath the shifter? thanks in advance not sure if I fully explained it well but I will add a picture.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:00 AM
EWK
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased a used z about a year ago and it had an MGW short throw shifter installed on it. The precision and ease of shifting is remarkable. You may want to think about changing yours out.
http://www.mgwltd.com/corvette_short..._shifter.shtml
Old 03-25-2015, 11:29 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

If you use something to forcibly hold that bushing in place does it improve getting the transmission into 1st and reverse? If it doesn't there could be an issue inside the transmission.

Bill
Old 03-25-2015, 11:35 AM
alan_rogers
Instructor

Shifter is NOT the issue. Yes bill if that it pushed in shifting is much better...it stops the play in the shaft.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:38 AM
alan_rogers
Instructor

Almost like if there was a plastic sleeve made to fit in that box to stop the play in the shaft....that would solve it.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:42 PM
alan_rogers
Instructor

Anyone have a part # or advise?
Old 03-25-2015, 02:11 PM
Flyr282
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My MGW lower billet box came with new bushings if I remember right. Looks like its comes with the short throw shifter now. Id recommend the upgrade. You can get different style posts if you want a new **** or to keep you stock one. I don't have the part number for the bushing but all that has to come apart to replace the bushing. After I swapped mine out for one it made a night and day difference.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:26 PM
1972bluelt1
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyr282
My MGW lower billet box came with new bushings if I remember right. Looks like its comes with the short throw shifter now. Id recommend the upgrade. You can get different style posts if you want a new **** or to keep you stock one. I don't have the part number for the bushing but all that has to come apart to replace the bushing. After I swapped mine out for one it made a night and day difference.
About $400 for everything. I think the stock box is fairly inexpensive. Here's a link for new (stock) bushings. Just some options.

http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...gs-p-3208.html
Old 03-25-2015, 04:54 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

Searching shifter upgrades in the C5 section the other day... someone had a post w/ similar situation. They found a flanged plastic bushing in the hardware store, generic and pre packaged. I forget what the OD was, but it was 1/2" ID. Seemed like a pretty cool repair for like 69cents.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:27 AM
alan_rogers
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Searching shifter upgrades in the C5 section the other day... someone had a post w/ similar situation. They found a flanged plastic bushing in the hardware store, generic and pre packaged. I forget what the OD was, but it was 1/2" ID. Seemed like a pretty cool repair for like 69cents.
Yup...ordered the MGW shifter AND shifter box! excited the get rid of this dilemma!

Get notified of new replies

To help! 6 speed issue!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] help! 6 speed issue!