Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] To those who think the C7Z is a slouch

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 01:15 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by propain
Thank you on the first count.

As to the 2nd. I hear you. Its an auto. Its not about driver skill its about what the car can do in this case. If you put the A8 in the Z06 I wonder how it would do. Do you think at the power output of the LS7 it will beat that time? The manual on drags is a big advantage. Once you put drags on the C7 the Auto will be a disadvantage.

Ill put it this way. Are you impressed with the bugatti veyron?
There's more driver skill in running a strong powered auto than you give any credit. It's not just stab the gas and hang on. When traction is limited to anything less than a WOT dead hook, you still have to play the brake pedal vs the gas on the launch. The down track auto shifting is simpler, but any driver worth his salt can shift a manual quickly. It's not like I've never driven manuals, since 30 were, of the 61 cars I've owned. 5 of the 10 that saw dragstrip time were manuals too, and I can't count all the manual shift drag cars I've driven that I didn't own.

The real difference is that on a prepped track with DR's, an auto car is consistent, while the manual car depends on the driver to be consistent. So yes, a hero run where all the stars align, a manual shift will be quicker than a stock auto. Put in a high stall to allow an equal launch rpm and the auto eats the manual 9 out of 10.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:06 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lol. Tough croud. This is an 80k car that put down a 10.7 stock on stock tires. In what world is that not impressive... when I put down 10.8@128 in my stock C6Z I was impressed that it could do it. It took lots of practice and many runs to get it.

This guy made 2 runs. Both in the 10s on stock tires on a car with only 500 miles on it. Impressive is indeed the word your looking for.

Cant wait to get my hands on it. Give me a private track rental and some DA like that on drags and ill show you impressive too.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:40 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
There's more driver skill in running a strong powered auto than you give any credit. It's not just stab the gas and hang on. When traction is limited to anything less than a WOT dead hook, you still have to play the brake pedal vs the gas on the launch. The down track auto shifting is simpler, but any driver worth his salt can shift a manual quickly. It's not like I've never driven manuals, since 30 were, of the 61 cars I've owned. 5 of the 10 that saw dragstrip time were manuals too, and I can't count all the manual shift drag cars I've driven that I didn't own.

The real difference is that on a prepped track with DR's, an auto car is consistent, while the manual car depends on the driver to be consistent. So yes, a hero run where all the stars align, a manual shift will be quicker than a stock auto. Put in a high stall to allow an equal launch rpm and the auto eats the manual 9 out of 10.
No question. I run a few autos which smoke the hell out of a manual any day. However, there is much less to think about. Pedal it and keep it straight vs pedal it and keep it straight and smash your shift points as quick as possible.

In the end there will always be Manual purists who poo poo the Auto. I can see their point too. But they can complain all they want in 2nd place. A win is a win.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:50 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Lol at all the haters saying that this is not impressive. The A8 is awesome! By the way, I still think the car is an underachiever overall especially at high speeds.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:51 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
MIR fastest down hill track in the country!

MIR is great because of the care and prep put into it and being at sea level. It also sees some great temps during the early spring and late fall when the track is still open and the NE and SE tracks are either too cold or still too warm. Most cry when they see times coming out of MIR. It doesn't make the time or the record any less relevant however. Its also not downhill. You must be thinking of Capitol Raceway.

ATCO is not considered a great track and is certainly not downhill and I ran a 10.8@128 stock. Better than most run at MIR.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:35 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

MIR is great because of the care and prep put into it and being at sea level. It also sees some great temps during the early spring and late fall when the track is still open and the NE and SE tracks are either too cold or still too warm. Most cry when they see times coming out of MIR. It doesn't make the time or the record any less relevant however. Its also not downhill. You must be thinking of Capitol Raceway.

ATCO is not considered a great track and is certainly not downhill and I ran a 10.8@128 stock. Better than most run at MIR.
I know, just wanted to get a reply from you since you ignored my PM last week!
Old 03-26-2015, 06:41 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
I know, just wanted to get a reply from you since you ignored my PM last week!
I Didn't ignore it.

I read it and was writing back and got distracted and forgot all about it. Sorry about that. No need to act out.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:42 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

Doesn't change the fact that the rear is ugly and the front fenders were designed too narrow so they filled in the gap with those stupid spats !!

Growing on me BUT not the rear and I would def'ly buy the Auto trans
Old 03-26-2015, 08:47 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Wrong consideration. Heat soak isn't the problem. Overheating is. Two different things. Heat soak may cause timing to be pulled for a small (who cares) power reduction. Overheating causes engine to go into limp home mode with drastic power reduction to about 50 HP. Just barely enough to move the car at slow speeds.

Bill
But isn't the cause of overheating with the C7 Z06 likely heatsoak from the blower? I know my 03 Cobra turned into a turd here in Phx in the hotter months. See some shelby's that struggle too with that huge heat sink sitting on top of the engine. Anyway, hope to see some at the track when i get back out there.

Will be interesting to see some of these suckers switched to E85!

Last edited by phxcobra; 03-26-2015 at 08:48 PM. Reason: updated
Old 03-26-2015, 08:54 PM
AlexVY
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys ignore all this talk. These C7Z's are not stock. They're really trying, all those guys, really trying.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:25 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by AlexVY
Guys ignore all this talk. These C7Z's are not stock. They're really trying, all those guys, really trying.

Yes, I saw your post on the other side. Offer some proof or move on troll.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:36 PM
AlexVY
Advanced

Yes, I saw your post on the other side. Offer some proof or move on troll.
I own one of these suckers so this is my space. Question is why are you in here selling, selling hard. Ya I'm a troll.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:13 PM
yellowzron
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 333 Likes on 195 Posts

To me it is impressive, even though I dislike autos. I did a best of 1079@132 at a **** track that was not prepped well. Took a lot of passes to do it but it was a lot of fun.

Give me a c7 Z06 for 40k I will buy it. For 90 plus I'm all good not owning one.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:58 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

auto for drags, manual for other.....those not impressed probably can't afford or drive a prius.....lol. i don't like care looks but still impressive car for factory, low priced in the supercar world with so many performance and safety features....but bottom line to each their own and free country to express any opinion you like
Old 03-26-2015, 11:38 PM
silvrhand
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I saw this thread earlier this morning.

That's pretty damn impressive completely bone stock on stock tires.
Well the CUP2 isn't your average street tire though either..
Old 03-27-2015, 12:18 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by silvrhand
Well the CUP2 isn't your average street tire though either..
I don't believe that there was a claim that the car had run 10.77 at 129 mph on "your average street tire".

Just that it had done it on it's "stock" tires.

I don't think anyone is claiming that it is your average street tire. But the car can be ordered with that tire on it, they come with the Z07 package, thus the car is on the same rubber it left Bowling Green with, making them the stock tires.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:19 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

I own one of these suckers so this is my space. Question is why are you in here selling, selling hard. Ya I'm a troll.
Haters gonna hate. Go away troll.

Get notified of new replies

To To those who think the C7Z is a slouch

Old 03-27-2015, 07:13 AM
AlexVY
Advanced

Haters gonna hate. Go away troll.
Give it up, tough guy, all of you.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:29 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Give it up, tough guy, all of you.

Whats wrong? Did they have enough of you on the C7 side and kick you out? Tough guy...
Old 03-27-2015, 09:39 AM
AlexVY
Advanced

Whats wrong? Did they have enough of you on the C7 side and kick you out? Tough guy...
Ya that's it. You guys are all worse than Door to door salesmen. Not stock. Capeesh. Keep convincing yourselves.

Last edited by AlexVY; 03-27-2015 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] To those who think the C7Z is a slouch