Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] To those who think the C7Z is a slouch

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 09:47 AM
NVNO1
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't think it's a slouch at at all. It's incredibly fast, however even if it had 10,000 horse power you still can't fix fugly! C6 Z06=best looking corvette ever made period.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:05 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by AlexVY
Ya that's it. You guys are all worse than Door to door salesmen. Not stock. Capeesh.

Capisco and you are just trolling unless you have some proof. Your just hating and are clueless about drag racing and the effects of good track prep and DA.

Get a clue and stop the hate. Offer some proof or your just making yourself look stupid.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:05 AM
Fifedogg
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NVNO1
I don't think it's a slouch at at all. It's incredibly fast, however even if it had 10,000 horse power you still can't fix fugly! C6 Z06=best looking corvette ever made period.
I think the ZR1 is the best looking corvette ever
Old 03-27-2015, 10:08 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

I used to feel this way too when the C7 was first released. But when I saw the C7 Z06 though it grew on me. I don't see how some call it ugly. Its pretty much a copy of the Berlinetta. Which is a sexy *** car. The back could have been better though.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:10 AM
Chris23120
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twistedpixels
He ran at MIR so I am not impressed at all with that time and mph. They are seeing negative DA's on a regular basis up to -1600ft. That car will not run that time or mph anywhere here in CA. At Fontana it will be lucky to see 122mph given the typical DA even now is north of 2000ft and in the summer it is above 5000ft. There are tracks up north that have better air and elevation but not as good as MIR. WE simply do not see conditions like they do.

If someone out here runs those times and mph then I wills ay it is doing well but it wont. MIR is the same track Ranger set those crazy fast times in his stock C6 Z with -1500ft DA's. Out here typical stock Z's struggle to break 122 unless the weather is really good. Carlsbad raceway was the only local one that had the potential for great times and it closed a long time ago. I live in an area that is 1300-1700ft above sea level and I notice a massive difference in my car going down to west side near Santa Monica and I have never seen negative DA's there either.

So basically to those of you who are impressed with this you need understand what is going on here before you snap to judgment.
I agree with you that da has an effect on times/mph. But the day he ran according to my calculator shows -500. I drag race my CTS-V a lot. and I have never seen more than 2-3 mph trap difference between -1800 da and +1200 MIR is a great track and I make my way to rentals there quite often but have yet to beat my times from VMP or Richmond, I just prefer MIR because of how nice the complex is and the long track where I don't have to slam on my brakes after the quarter to slow down from high 130 trap speeds. I would doubt that the new Z is somehow more sensitive to DA than my car. According to the calculators for correcting for DA on a 650hp supercharged car there is very little change .
Old 03-27-2015, 10:50 AM
Z0-SICK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol +1!

Old 03-27-2015, 12:01 PM
AlexVY
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The looks subject is personal preference but for me .... Not for me. But they keep insisting a stock auto magically hits 10.7 just like that. Sad
Old 03-27-2015, 12:24 PM
CB1953
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The looks subject is personal preference but for me .... Not for me. But they keep insisting a stock auto magically hits 10.7 just like that. Sad
Huh? I thought you owned one....
Old 03-27-2015, 12:37 PM
AlexVY
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CB1953
Huh? I thought you owned one....
C6Z... I can see how u got confused but that was posted in this section right
Old 03-27-2015, 02:19 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
Thank you on the first count.

As to the 2nd. I hear you. Its an auto. Its not about driver skill its about what the car can do in this case. If you put the A8 in the Z06 I wonder how it would do. Do you think at the power output of the LS7 it will beat that time? The manual on drags is a big advantage. Once you put drags on the C7 the Auto will be a disadvantage.

Ill put it this way. Are you impressed with the bugatti veyron?
Yes I'm impressed with the C7 650 hp and I'm also impressed in the veyron 1001 hp. If I had the money, I would never buy a veryon, and wouldn't buy an A8 C7 in a million years. But yes that is just me. I'm biased towards the road coarse anyway. That's fine for everyone to like what they like but it's just not impressive to engage launch control and push the pedal.

Same reason I've never been impressed with the GTR. They are for people who don't really care about driving just going fast.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:25 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
There's more driver skill in running a strong powered auto than you give any credit. It's not just stab the gas and hang on. When traction is limited to anything less than a WOT dead hook, you still have to play the brake pedal vs the gas on the launch. The down track auto shifting is simpler, but any driver worth his salt can shift a manual quickly. It's not like I've never driven manuals, since 30 were, of the 61 cars I've owned. 5 of the 10 that saw dragstrip time were manuals too, and I can't count all the manual shift drag cars I've driven that I didn't own.

The real difference is that on a prepped track with DR's, an auto car is consistent, while the manual car depends on the driver to be consistent. So yes, a hero run where all the stars align, a manual shift will be quicker than a stock auto. Put in a high stall to allow an equal launch rpm and the auto eats the manual 9 out of 10.
I would think with the modern auto transmissions offered these days they will always be quicker than a manual, definitely will shift faster. The A8 has launch control so it should allow you to launch higher. Not sure, either way automatics are like fake bewbs, they can be fun but will never replace the real thing.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:32 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

So you actually think that this time is fabricated? If this time is then what are all of Ranger's hero runs??
Also, do you think our government is behind 911?
Old 03-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I used to think drag racing with an auto was child's play, till my buddy let take his 2300# tubed 70' nova down the road. I built his engine; 900hp aluminum BB running alcohol through a flying toilet. Two speed. Scared the shiittttt out of me, and I am not too proud to admit that. And all I had to do was floor the peddle, release trans brake, and make one shift. Just keep the f'er in a straight line. Yah, right..... easy my ***......

I still don't like the C7. I don't like boosted engines, and I don't like the weight. I'd rather have a Viper.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:28 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by erichg1000
I would think with the modern auto transmissions offered these days they will always be quicker than a manual, definitely will shift faster. The A8 has launch control so it should allow you to launch higher. Not sure, either way automatics are like fake bewbs, they can be fun but will never replace the real thing.
You obvious missed the point. Yes, the auto will shift quicker, but the manual won't have the slippage driveline losses, so that part is a wash.
It all comes down to the launch. All launch control does, is to restrict the power just enough to avoid spinning. i.e. TM on steroids
With a stock 1800 RPM converter, the launch RPM is limited to 1800. Pretty simple to understand, right? Yet the manual has the capability to launch at 1 RPM short of the rev limiter. It takes a very talented driver to learn how high he can launch and control the clutch for the best 60' time. It sure won't be the average Joe who can do that, but whoever can, will beat the best stock auto's time.
A higher stall converter changes everything and the odds swing in the auto's favor.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:12 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
You obvious missed the point. Yes, the auto will shift quicker, but the manual won't have the slippage driveline losses, so that part is a wash.
It all comes down to the launch. All launch control does, is to restrict the power just enough to avoid spinning. i.e. TM on steroids
With a stock 1800 RPM converter, the launch RPM is limited to 1800. Pretty simple to understand, right? Yet the manual has the capability to launch at 1 RPM short of the rev limiter. It takes a very talented driver to learn how high he can launch and control the clutch for the best 60' time. It sure won't be the average Joe who can do that, but whoever can, will beat the best stock auto's time.
A higher stall converter changes everything and the odds swing in the auto's favor.

You can break stall an auto higher than the stall too. You wont get anywhere near what you can with a manual but you can cheat the stock stall too. Less chance of breaking things too.

I do it with my Auto C63 and I can get a launch at about 3500-3800RPM for a 1.7 60' tune only. Not bad for a heavy sedan.

Put some drags on the C7Z and break staling will get that 60' down. Maybe even 1.59 territory based on this guys run. Once moving a manual will not beat the auto unless your power shifting and VERY talented.

Last edited by propain; 03-28-2015 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] To those who think the C7Z is a slouch