Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] [CT] Anyone Suggest Where to Get a Wiggle Test?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 10:17 PM
LMBC6Z
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [CT] Anyone Suggest Where to Get a Wiggle Test?

Just as the title says...some may have seen my other thread regarding a potential purchase of a C6Z. I do want to get a wiggle test done prior to purchase.

Can anyone recommend somewhere near/around central Connecticut that is familiar with C6Z's and complete a wiggle test? The closer the better!

Ideally looking for someone that wont charge $4,000 like one shop wanted to charge in an old thread I found while searching
Old 03-27-2015, 11:14 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

The closest one on the crowdsourced interactive map of "wiggle testers" is on Long Island. If you find one closer, please add it!
Old 03-27-2015, 11:59 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

Can't really help...

Geez. For $4,000, that wiggle test better come with a set of reworked heads, cam, labor and dyno tune!
Old 03-28-2015, 01:09 AM
LMBC6Z
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bjmsam
The closest one on the crowdsourced interactive map of "wiggle testers" is on Long Island. If you find one closer, please add it!
That is awesome, thank you for that link!! Didn't come across that while searching...looks like Long Island is closest to me. I don't know if the seller would be willing to drive all the way there to do the test so I may need to keep my ears out for something more local. I'll find out tomorrow. Thank you again!
Old 03-28-2015, 08:31 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Don't waste your time, money, and effort on a wiggle test. ......do the heads.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:12 AM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
Don't waste your time, money, and effort on a wiggle test. ......do the heads.

Checking the valve to guide clearances and making informed decisions is IMO a sensible alternative to ignoring potential problems under an assumption that the heads are fine (risking catastrophic engine damage) or reworking the heads under an assumption that one or both are among those with manufacturing defects (especially if the reworked heads result in valvetrain imbalance). Many shops will discount (if not waive) the cost of a wiggle test if the heads need to be reworked, so there is really more to gain than there is to lose.

An early draft of Hib's procedure was followed to check the valve to guide clearances on my '07 last summer at 62k miles and the bill totaled just over $500 (all were checked since none were found to be out of spec). I'm glad I did not blindly spend far more money having them reworked only to end up with a "fix" like this.

Total Performance just checked the valve-to-guide clearances on the 100% stock 2007 Z06 I bought a few weeks ago with just under 62k miles. Results: ".0031 MAX FOUND VALVE TO GUIDE CLEARANCE - IT IS WITHIN FACTORY SPECS."

Code:
          raw           raw*.62       raw/2-.0005
CYL    INT    EXH      INT    EXH      INT    EXH
#1   .0045  .0048    .0028  .0030    .0018  .0019
#3   .0048  .0042    .0030  .0026    .0019  .0016
#5   .0044  .0050    .0027  .0031    .0017  .0020
#7   .0048  .0048    .0030  .0030    .0019  .0019 
#2   .0040  .0045    .0025  .0028    .0015  .0018
#4   .0048  .0045    .0030  .0028    .0019  .0018
#6   .0044  .0048    .0027  .0030    .0017  .0019
#8   .0048  .0047    .0030  .0029    .0019  .0018
I should also mention that there is a fair amount of valve train clatter. I can hear ticking while driving past guardrails with the windows down, but it's not nearly as loud as the infamous lash adjuster ("lifter") tick my '94 Stealth Twin-Turbo would occasionally make.
I will have the clearances checked again at 100k, and if they are too close for comfort, then I will likely go with AH package #4 with stock valves, probably using my heads rather than cores since they appear to be better than many others.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:30 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Checking the valve to guide clearances and making informed decisions is IMO a sensible alternative to ignoring potential problems under an assumption that the heads are fine (risking catastrophic engine damage) or reworking the heads under an assumption that one or both are among those with manufacturing defects (especially if the reworked heads result in valvetrain imbalance). Many shops will discount (if not waive) the cost of a wiggle test if the heads need to be reworked, so there is really more to gain than there is to lose.

An early draft of Hib's procedure was followed to check the valve to guide clearances on my '07 last summer at 62k miles and the bill totaled just over $500 (all were checked since none were found to be out of spec). I'm glad I did not blindly spend far more money having them reworked only to end up with a "fix" like this.

I will have the clearances checked again at 100k, and if they are too close for comfort, then I will likely go with AH package #4 with stock valves, probably using my heads rather than cores since they appear to be better than many others.

Ok, you're right.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The wiggle test accuracy is questionable. If the dial indicator isn't held at the correct angle using a bracket that doesn't have any movement you will get false readings. Read Hib's article on the Corvette Action Center site. If somebody is careful and knows what they are doing, uses the proper equipment and is careful setting up the equipment so measurements can be accurate you can get good results when compared to pulling the heads and making the measurements with a guide bore gauge and a micrometer. I spent a fair amount of time talking to dealer mechanics in my area and none of them were comfortable with doing the wiggle test. They all thought it would be best to pull the heads and make the measurements that way. Based on Hib's article, the local mechanics opinions I found a shop that would do all of the work if required. We started out with a price for them to pull the heads, totally document their measurements and to reinstall the heads if they found everything in spec. That costs about double what a wiggle test costs. What I got was everything in spec except two intake guides that were a shade out of spec and several other intake guides that were close to being out of spec. All of the valve stems were within GM's production spec. That is when it gets to be decision time. Buttoning everything back up was an option since they weren't all that bad but I would be looking at going back in a year or so to check everything again.

Bill
Old 03-28-2015, 10:44 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

When mine were done. (Wiggle) Some measured ~ 3X tolerance.
(Work was done by people who wrote the book on it) The same measurements were 3X after heads were removed.

Heads were replace under warranty and testing also covered.

With some of the heads I've seen on this site, you don't even need a dial indicator. The valves will move freely in the guides with finger pressure.

All this discussion and wasted time is because GM didn't face up to a major mistake and recall all LS7s and replace the heads with good ones.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:26 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
With some of the heads I've seen on this site, you don't even need a dial indicator. The valves will move freely in the guides with finger pressure.

All this discussion and wasted time is because GM didn't face up to a major mistake and recall all LS7s and replace the heads with good ones.
That really isn't an indicator of a bad guide. A fair number of my guides measured .0019, .0021, .0024 which are all within GM's production specs. All of those valves could be wiggled by pushing on them. As the guide clearances grew larger you could see more movement but just the fact they moved didn't prove anything.

Bill
Old 03-29-2015, 07:29 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SVT03
Just as the title says...some may have seen my other thread regarding a potential purchase of a C6Z. I do want to get a wiggle test done prior to purchase.

Can anyone recommend somewhere near/around central Connecticut that is familiar with C6Z's and complete a wiggle test? The closer the better!

Ideally looking for someone that wont charge $4,000 like one shop wanted to charge in an old thread I found while searching
May I suggest that you first read the following thread about the wiggle test accuracy ...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uide-news.html
Old 03-29-2015, 09:36 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

LOL, now how do you feel about your reply to my post....LOLOLOLOL

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uide-news.html

Old 03-29-2015, 10:47 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
...With some of the heads I've seen on this site, you don't even need a dial indicator. The valves will move freely in the guides with finger pressure.

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
That really isn't an indicator of a bad guide. A fair number of my guides measured .0019, .0021, .0024 which are all within GM's production specs. All of those valves could be wiggled by pushing on them. As the guide clearances grew larger you could see more movement but just the fact they moved didn't prove anything.

Bill
I thought that it was a given that if movement could be perceived or seen thy the guides were out of spec.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-29-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:33 AM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
LOL, now how do you feel about your reply to my post....LOLOLOLOL
Well, I feel a lot better than the myriad folks who unnecessarily and in some cases detrimentally reworked their heads for $2k+.

Sorry if you were somehow offended by my post.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:07 AM
shane p
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts

The wiggle test is a joke.

Get notified of new replies

To [CT] Anyone Suggest Where to Get a Wiggle Test?

Quick Reply: [Z06] [CT] Anyone Suggest Where to Get a Wiggle Test?