Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Help unclipping the top O2 sensor from the stock exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 02:50 PM
KennyMeyer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help unclipping the top O2 sensor from the stock exhaust manifold

Hey CF I'm installing some American racing headers on my car today, and while removing the passenger side exhaust manifold/cat I can't seem to get the top O2 unplugged because it's tucked so tight up against the AC line. Should I be approaching it from the top or going from underneath? Absolute pain in the ***.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:26 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

I agree. The passenger side front O2 sensor is tough to access.
I unbolted the exhaust manifold and tied it into place with a piece of wire wrapped around the hood strut and down around the manifold for support. Then I was able to access the O2 sensor connector from the top or bottom. First, you have to remove that small white plastic retainer clip. Then you can get to the wire connector release and unclip it.

Now the hard part! I would also tie the header into place with a piece of wire and reconnect the front O2 sensor before bolting the header into place. On the first Z06 header install I bolted the header into place and had to reconnect the O2 sensor from underneath one handed.

Make sure you spend some quality time routing the rear O2 sensor wires away from the cats and hot pipes through the tunnel. ARH includes adel clamps for this. I also used stainless zip ties to hold the rear connectors up away from the cats.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:52 PM
BigSteele
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very tough indeed! I was able to pull the blue lock pin out easily and disconnected the connector without too much trouble, but it was a pain to remove the connector from the wire mount. I was frustrated that the O2 connector end was clipped on a wire and was not able to be free once you disconnected it.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:54 AM
KennyMeyer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Thank you!

Got it guys! just took some time and the absolute perfect angle. The only issue i have now is a slight exhaust leak i believe it coming from where the collector meets the xpipe, i believe when the stainless heated up it slipped out of place. My buddy told me that this would more than likely happen and after re adjusting it it should be good to go. Anyone have any input on this?
Old 03-31-2015, 03:09 AM
mewalker2
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KennyMeyer
Got it guys! just took some time and the absolute perfect angle. The only issue i have now is a slight exhaust leak i believe it coming from where the collector meets the xpipe, i believe when the stainless heated up it slipped out of place. My buddy told me that this would more than likely happen and after re adjusting it it should be good to go. Anyone have any input on this?
Can you see any black "soot" where the collector meets the x-pipe? That's a sure sign of a leak. I had to adjust mine a few times to get it perfectly sealed up. I also ended up having small leaks around a few of the header flanges where they mount to the head. Some new Remflex gaskets took care of that though.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:21 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

It helps to back off all the header bolts 1/2" and then fit your X pipe to the collector. That way you can line it up properly. After snugging the collector to the x pipe, then tighten the header bolts.
Using the OEM header gaskets (even used ones) will usually stop any leaks at the head/header flange.

Get notified of new replies

To Help unclipping the top O2 sensor from the stock exhaust manifold

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help unclipping the top O2 sensor from the stock exhaust manifold