Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 valve guide news.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 03:42 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Minkster
So we won't know if it was a valve or not...
What else chews a hole in the side of the block though? Sure, it could be piston hits the valve...but in a bone stock car? Probably not...

Last edited by MTPZ06; 05-10-2017 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:21 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
What else chews a hole in the side of the block though? Sure, it could be piston hits the valve...but in a bone stock car? Probably not...
OK, bone stock Z06, 33K miles; did a dropped valve cause this failure?

Old 05-11-2017, 06:32 AM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

From what little I can see, that one looks like bearing failure.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:22 AM
Justincase427
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valve drop

[QUOTE=Minkster;1594706662]
Originally Posted by Justincase427

So we won't know if it was a valve or not...
Yes a valve dropped put my borescope in cyl and something was inside that cyl to cause a piston to explode and put a hole in the block...
Old 05-12-2017, 12:27 AM
Justincase427
Intermediate

looks like a rod made that hole it's right at the pan. Doesn't take a genius though I am one...
Old 05-12-2017, 01:00 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
From what little I can see, that one looks like bearing failure.
Originally Posted by Justincase427
looks like a rod made that hole it's right at the pan. Doesn't take a genius though I am one...
Bingo, winners. Lost 4/5 journal bearing at Auto Speedway Fontana coming out of the big left hand sweeper. Oil starvation. Heads were fine. Pics

My point is not every failure of a bone stock engine is caused by a dropped valve. Seems every time one of these failures occur, someone starts pontificating about valve failures w/o any proof, and I believe that has raised the level of anxiety for many owners who are new to the C6Z or not mechanically inclined. There is another thread (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594348419) where the OP had a failure, and many claimed it was a valve without any evidence of such. Op has since gone silent so we haven't learned anything about that failure. Latest failure here, Op state he sees "something" in the cylinder that caused failure and assumes a dropped valve. Probably so, but could be a failed plug (it's happened) or who knows what. Without pulling the heads or finding a piece of the valve, no one can say conclusively that a failure is a dropped valve or anything else. We need to stop jumping into the "Valve failure" rut whenever this happens and start looking for evidence (when possible) before coming to a determination. I'm not saying there is no need to check your heads (I've had two sets replaced myself), we just need to know for sure before announcing a determination like it's the gospel. Otherwise, it's potentially crying "wolf", and hurting the rep of the LS7. Just leave it as unknown. Sorry for the rant.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:58 AM
Justincase427
Intermediate

Bingo, winners. Lost 4/5 journal bearing at Auto Speedway Fontana coming out of the big left hand sweeper. Oil starvation. Heads were fine. Pics

My point is not every failure of a bone stock engine is caused by a dropped valve. Seems every time one of these failures occur, someone starts pontificating about valve failures w/o any proof, and I believe that has raised the level of anxiety for many owners who are new to the C6Z or not mechanically inclined. There is another thread (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594348419) where the OP had a failure, and many claimed it was a valve without any evidence of such. Op has since gone silent so we haven't learned anything about that failure. Latest failure here, Op state he sees "something" in the cylinder that caused failure and assumes a dropped valve. Probably so, but could be a failed plug (it's happened) or who knows what. Without pulling the heads or finding a piece of the valve, no one can say conclusively that a failure is a dropped valve or anything else. We need to stop jumping into the "Valve failure" rut whenever this happens and start looking for evidence (when possible) before coming to a determination. I'm not saying there is no need to check your heads (I've had two sets replaced myself), we just need to know for sure before announcing a determination like it's the gospel. Otherwise, it's potentially crying "wolf", and hurting the rep of the LS7. Just leave it as unknown. Sorry for the rant.
Hey man great point but when you pull plugs and all but two have oil on them hummmm g
​​just saying it's not rocket science here the engine has been out for hundreds of years if you know what you are doing just looking at plugs tells u a bunch so pistons just blow up and cause a hole out the motor hummmm well that's new. A bearing falure is lack of oil or over reving but it happens sometimes so I understand that I seen heads with thousands​ of hours on them no guide problems​ just saying thanks.

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 valve guide news.