Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Finally my turn for a build thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 08:46 PM
surfinva27
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finally my turn for a build thread

So i finally have the time and funds (gotta love deployment savings) to pull together my HCI build. With that said, I'm doing everything i can that fits into my budget, and trying not to leave much out. I will probably start the tear down this weekend, but it will be at my own pace, so i have no idea when i will have it all finished and back together. Ill keep this thread updated as i progress. Well, here goes the parts list... Its mostly engine related, a few extras in there that are all happening at the same time too.

Just heard from the shop, still fine tuning smoothing drivability, but initial numbers are 578/536 RWHP / RWTQ will post graph when i have it.

A big thank you to member jeffreystar as many of you have seen his DIY head swap thread. That is what got me through most of the build.
Check below for progress edits and photos

-American Heritage heads Installed
-Stage 4, milled ~.040 (shooting for 11.8-12.0:1 CR) ferrea hollow exhaust, del west treated stock intake, . ported, BTR dual springs/ titanium retainers
-Custom spec'd cam by Carlos at Vette-Air 242/252 657/657 on a 112 +4 Installed
-Comp cams 7.75 pushrods Installed (originally was going to use stock, but after measuring i was not happy with being at .125 preload. 7.75 should be around .082)
-Halltech Superbee 103 intake Installed
-ARP head bolts Installed
-OEM LS7 lifters / trays Installed
-Kooks 1 7/8 headers ceramic coated, with catted x pipe Installed
-Akrapovic stainless steel slip on Installed
-FAST LSXR intake manifold ( BER ported ) Installed
-Holley billet fuel rails with torrent black/black fuel line kit Installed
-65 LB Deatschwerks LS7 length injectors Installed
-Nick Williams 102mm Throttle body Installed
-C5R timing chain Installed
-ATI stock size Super Damper Installed
-Mike Norris catch can Installed
-160* t-stat Installed
-Katech billet belt tensioner (waiting on delivery)
-New oracle ghosted LED side markers Installed
-6K HID headlight upgrade Installed
-Complete vette nuts insulation kit Installed
-brand new DRM bilsteins Installed
-Nitto NT05R 345/30/19 in the back for the new found power
-C7 carbon extended ZR1 spoiler Installed

EDIT 1: I have started the tear down, I'm down to the heads so far. everything is going pretty smoothly, using the DIY LS7 headswap thread for guidance, and will move to the cam when I'm ready. Going at my own pace, working mostly alone.

EDIT 2: Heads are off, and ready to move onto the cam swap when i get some more free time!

EDIT 3: Got the cam swap and timing chain swap done today 5/4/15. all went pretty smoothly, until I ripped the o ring on the oil pan putting the oil pump back on. bought myself some extra work there to replace it, but i have time before the heads get back anyway and 2 weeks off work so its not the end of the work. Heads arrived at american heritage today, and will be headed my way in about 7-10 days. I'll be eagerly waiting for the heads to arrive and keep moving on the install!

EDIT 4: 5/13/15 Alrighty, finally had some more time to work on the car. Heads are still at American Heritage, and should be headed my way soon. Yesterday i got the oil pan gasket replaced, which took some work for sure had to drop the front cradle and lift the motor a tad. Also got the oil pump and timing cover back on. This afternoon, i will be putting the ATI balancer on, and getting the radiator/ condenser and the whole front back together. After today, she should be ready and waiting for the heads to arrive. Excited! more pictures below from the last bit of work.

EDIT 5: 5/14/15 Well today was another good day for progression. Got the ATI balancer on, without much issue surprisingly! After that, got the steering rack back in and buttoned up, AC condenser and radiator back in, fan on and upper shroud back in place. Also got my injector spacers, and mocked up the Holley rails on the FAST and it looks great! She is sitting pretty much ready for the heads that should be headed back my way tomorrow from American Heritage. Talked with Kohle today and he said the heads were done he was just waiting on BTR Titanium Retainers to finish assembly. In the interim, I will drop the stock H pipe get the kooks X in place and do some more general prep for the heads. And if all else fails, go ride my motorcycle! Pics to follow from today ( not that many)

EDIT 6: 5/26/15 Well the heads arrived this past friday morning. I only had time to open them, drool a little bit, and leave for my buddies bachelor party for the entire weekend. I returned yesterday from the party, and started working today. I got the heads back on, the entire exhaust system in and ready to go. I also measured the pushrods. I ended up at a .125 preload with the stock, so i am picking up a set of comp cams 5/16 x 7.75 tomorrow. With my math, that will put me right at ~.082 preload which is optimal from what i have read. The heads looked amazing when i got them back from Kohle, and if all goes according to plan i will have it running this weekend. I talked to Ed Hutchings who will do the tuning, and i should be able to have it on the dyno at the beginning of this coming week. So ready to be done and have it running! More pics to follow...

EDIT 7: 5/27/15 Got a bit more of the motor back together today. FAST manifold is on, fuel rails are all bolted up, and the alternator bracket is back on. Had a lot going on so couldn't get more done. Its starting to look like a motor again! Should be fired up this weekend for sure.

FINAL EDIT: 5/29/15 She is DONE. FINALLY. waiting on the katech tensioner but did let that stop me from finishing. Got it all back together, anxiously pressed the start button, and she fired right up!! dropping the car at the shop tonight, and leave town for a week in the morning. It will be all tuned and ready to go when i get home. CANNOT WAIT. I threw in the last of the photos i have down below, and some idle clips from the first start.

Last edited by surfinva27; 06-03-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:06 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Wow, nice! Wait till you hear that thing with the Akras, it makes all the wait worth it...
Old 04-23-2015, 10:11 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Looking forward to reading more. I measured my pushrod length probably five different times just to be certain, katech cam, heads milled .030". I tried the stock pushrods, but needed PRs that were .050" shorter in order to get to .070" lifter preload. I was at .120" on the stock pushrods. BTR PRs are nice for the money.

Milling the heads made the difference IMO, but who knows.

Are you planning on upgrading the clutch also? I always try to avoid removing parts that I just installed, so that I can install another new part. If you already have the headers off, not a bad time to swap in a clutch that will last awhile. Those Drag Radials will put a bit more hate and discontent on your LS7 clutch (assuming it is still stock).

Last edited by Josh B.; 04-23-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:18 AM
surfinva27
Racer

Originally Posted by Josh B.

Are you planning on upgrading the clutch also?
I would love to toss an RXT in there now while I'm at it, but with how long the build list is, for a military guy like me who doesn't have unlimited "play funds" it just doesn't fit the budget right now. I have read many things saying the stock clutch will hold, we shall see. Will get replaced eventually, but how long is a sight to be seen

Originally Posted by psp6158
Wow, nice! Wait till you hear that thing with the Akras, it makes all the wait worth it...

And i already tossed the AKRA slip on on the car, i just couldn't wait it was too easy of an install. They sound great just by themselves, can't wait to get the headers in front of them.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:37 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Solid build. I'll see ya around the beach. There are several of us with modded cars in the area. I did all my work too, with the help of a friend.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:43 AM
surfinva27
Racer

Originally Posted by Undy
Solid build. I'll see ya around the beach. There are several of us with modded cars in the area. I did all my work too, with the help of a friend.
Careful putting that out there! if i get stuck you may find me poking around asking questions, or you could always just stop by with your car and grab a beer while i work!
Old 04-24-2015, 07:52 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by surfinva27
Careful putting that out there! if i get stuck you may find me poking around asking questions, or you could always just stop by with your car and grab a beer while i work!
We're still at our winter home down on the Gulf of SW Flori-duh. Won't be back till early next month. I do have some contacts there that can help. PM me if you get stuck and I can hook you up.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:07 AM
surfinva27
Racer

Originally Posted by Undy
We're still at our winter home down on the Gulf of SW Flori-duh. Won't be back till early next month. I do have some contacts there that can help. PM me if you get stuck and I can hook you up.
I will keep that in mind, but i should be alright when you get back we can get the cars together or something.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:06 AM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So i finally have the time and funds (gotta love deployment savings) to pull together my HCI build. With that said, I'm doing everything i can that fits into my budget, and trying not to leave much out. I will probably start the tear down this weekend, but it will be at my own pace, so i have no idea when i will have it all finished and back together. Ill keep this thread updated as i progress. Well, here goes the parts list... Its mostly engine related, a few extras in there that are all happening at the same time too.

-American Heritage heads
-Stage 4, milled ~.040 (shooting for 11.8-12.0:1 CR) ferrea hollow exhaust, del west treated stock intake, . ported, BTR dual springs/ titanium retainers
-Custom spec'd cam by Carlos at Vette-Air
-Stock pushrods (was directed by carlos that they would be fine, will measure to be safe)
-Halltech Superbee 103 intake
-ARP head bolts
-OEM LS7 lifters / trays
-Kooks 1 7/8 headers ceramic coated, with catted x pipe
-Akrapovic stainless steel slip on
-FAST LSXR intake manifold ( will be sent to BER for porting )
-FAST LS3 fuel rails
-New injectors, have not purchased those yet so no LB size.
-Nick Williams 102mm Throttle body
-C5R timing chain
-ATI stock size Super Damper
-Mike Norris catch can
-160* t-stat
-Katech billet belt tensioner
-New oracle ghosted LED side markers
-6K HID headlight upgrade
-Complete vette nuts insulation kit
-brand new DRM bilsteins
-Nitto NT05R 345/30/19 in the back for the new found power
Edit: Forgot to add my C7 carbon extended ZR1 spoiler

I have all the parts here at the house already except the heads, and the injectors. Looking forward to the build, and seeing the results!
Congrats. Looks like a nice list. You could have saved a massive amount of money to be put into oiling system upgrades if you skip the Halltech, FAST, and LS3 Fuel Rails. Those are really pricey parts for the gains (in my opinion of course). But you already got em! And they are pretty parts in the bay for sure. The ATI damper is pricey also. I looked at that but ended up passing and reused the stock damper. Are you gonna boost later? Wondering on those injectors.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:41 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Nice pile of stuff you put together.

+1 for AHP heads. They apparently did a fantastic job porting them and turned them around quite quickly even though it's spring time and they are busy. That said I am sure all of the well known head builders do a great job.

Thank you for your service!

Bought my Wife's old GS from a girl in VA Beach. She's in the CG down there.

Good luck with your build!
Old 04-24-2015, 12:27 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

How big is the cam Carlos speced for you?
Old 04-26-2015, 02:24 PM
surfinva27
Racer

Originally Posted by erichg1000
Congrats. Looks like a nice list. You could have saved a massive amount of money to be put into oiling system upgrades if you skip the Halltech, FAST, and LS3 Fuel Rails. Those are really pricey parts for the gains (in my opinion of course). But you already got em! And they are pretty parts in the bay for sure. The ATI damper is pricey also. I looked at that but ended up passing and reused the stock damper. Are you gonna boost later? Wondering on those injectors.
Boost is never off the table, but not in the plans just yet. After talking with Carlos about the cam, I'm fairly certain my stock injectors will be a higher duty cycle than they should be and ill upgrade. He suggested the 80's since there isn't much price difference from the 60s but i haven't decided yet.

Originally Posted by Racingswh
Nice pile of stuff you put together.

+1 for AHP heads. They apparently did a fantastic job porting them and turned them around quite quickly even though it's spring time and they are busy. That said I am sure all of the well known head builders do a great job.

Thank you for your service!

Bought my Wife's old GS from a girl in VA Beach. She's in the CG down there.

Good luck with your build!
Thank you for the kind words! i have no doubt Kohle will do a great job! really happy with my communication with him so far.

Originally Posted by vertC6
How big is the cam Carlos speced for you?
The cam he spec'd for me is 242/252 657/657 112 +4
Old 04-26-2015, 07:22 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Very nice list. That is a big cam! With a cam that big the valve spring selection is a balancing act. Too large of a spring and the lifters don't endure. Too small a spring and valve bounce. Just be careful, many of the double springs are breaking after a few thousand miles.

Also, if you use a FAST LS7 intake and LS3 fuel rails, you have to use injector spacers. Some folks think it affects the injector spray pattern, especially at low speeds. You can use a set of billet rails and not have to use the spacers, or use the new MSD intake and your original fuel rail. A thought, the Holley billet fuel rails are less expensive than the FAST billet or LS3 fuel rail.

Just a suggestion: Maybe leave the MF103 and intake porting for a later date. You may exceed your HP goals without them and find you need a new clutch.

Best of luck!
Old 04-26-2015, 08:18 PM
surfinva27
Racer

Originally Posted by Vito.A
Very nice list. That is a big cam! With a cam that big the valve spring selection is a balancing act. Too large of a spring and the lifters don't endure. Too small a spring and valve bounce. Just be careful, many of the double springs are breaking after a few thousand miles.

Also, if you use a FAST LS7 intake and LS3 fuel rails, you have to use injector spacers. Some folks think it affects the injector spray pattern, especially at low speeds. You can use a set of billet rails and not have to use the spacers, or use the new MSD intake and your original fuel rail. A thought, the Holley billet fuel rails are less expensive than the FAST billet or LS3 fuel rail.

Just a suggestion: Maybe leave the MF103 and intake porting for a later date. You may exceed your HP goals without them and find you need a new clutch.

Best of luck!
Vito, First off. Thank you for the suggestions! I am going with Carlo's recommendation for springs, which was inline with American Heritage's recommendation as they both have more experience in the matter than i do. I will certainly keep an eye on the springs though. I did not mention in the post, i have the injector spacers already in hand, and will be using them. Im tossing the idea of billet rails around and haven't decided yet but that can be changed at a later date or before the build is done if i decide. I spent a good amount of time looking for answers on the clutch, and i think it will be okay a least for a while. All the above are great suggestions, and i have/will continue to consider them! much appreciated.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:00 PM
surfinva27
Racer

A few pics from yesterdays work!

Old 05-05-2015, 11:19 PM
surfinva27
Racer

Update first post with progress, pics to follow
Old 05-13-2015, 08:01 AM
surfinva27
Racer

mmm clean pistons.

Front taken off

out with the old!

In with the new!

And a shot of the new Deatschwerks 65LB injectors.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally my turn for a build thread

Old 05-13-2015, 09:14 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the pictures

You really got the engine clean! I thought I got mine clean...yours is immaculate.

It became clear to me when I reinstalled my balancer that I needed an installation tool, as both bolts (old and new) were too short to reach the threads. Not sure if this will be your case or not, but I built my own "installation tool" that worked out ok for me. I welded two bolt together, some real precision work Ha.

I went with the MSD intake and reused the stock fuel rail, and I'm really happy with my results. Thanks for the update, I will check back on your progress. I'm in the military too, welcome home from deployment.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:55 AM
surfinva27
Racer

Originally Posted by Josh B.
Thanks for the pictures

You really got the engine clean! I thought I got mine clean...yours is immaculate.

It became clear to me when I reinstalled my balancer that I needed an installation tool, as both bolts (old and new) were too short to reach the threads. Not sure if this will be your case or not, but I built my own "installation tool" that worked out ok for me. I welded two bolt together, some real precision work Ha.

I went with the MSD intake and reused the stock fuel rail, and I'm really happy with my results. Thanks for the update, I will check back on your progress. I'm in the military too, welcome home from deployment.

Josh,

Thanks for the kind words. Yea, i went overboard on the cleaning but I have the time so why not?! haha. yea actually that is why the balancer is going on today and not yesterday, the tool i originally had which is a balancer installing tool, was not long enough. So coming up with some other ideas on how to get it on. Gonna go try to just pick up some threaded rod and a few nuts for it, and see if i can make that work. Also gonna dive through the forum and see what others did, thanks for the suggestion! I just don't have easy access to a welder.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:48 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Josh,

Thanks for the kind words. Yea, i went overboard on the cleaning but I have the time so why not?! haha. yea actually that is why the balancer is going on today and not yesterday, the tool i originally had which is a balancer installing tool, was not long enough. So coming up with some other ideas on how to get it on. Gonna go try to just pick up some threaded rod and a few nuts for it, and see if i can make that work. Also gonna dive through the forum and see what others did, thanks for the suggestion! I just don't have easy access to a welder.
PM sent, let me know if I can help with that!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Finally my turn for a build thread