Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Need more ROAR!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 10:42 PM
I-LOX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need more ROAR!

Hi. My name is Joshua.
I am new to forums, never had a car worth being on before.

I have wanted a corvette since I was 15. After saving a lot and not going to the bars, here I am at 26 with my Stock 2007 C6 Z06, 10,000 miles.

I have been driving it for the last 2 months(1 previous owner) and have been smiling ever since. I have enjoyed the nice quiet purr she makes. I am now looking to get a little more roar out of her. I have heard of people pulling the fuse that controls the butter-fly valves in the exhaust. Does that really make a big difference?

All in all, just here to say HI! And to ask for advice on what aftermarket brands people suggest for roar. If you would be able to tag a ballpark price with the product, that would be cool too . I am not a fan of "knock-off parts" when it comes to my car. Also, should any upgrades be done in a specific order? Cold air intake? Exhaust? Cams? Headers? I am open to all suggestions as I am quite new to this. Thank you all in advance.

The car has plenty of power so I figured I would work on sound to start. More horses to come later.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:52 PM
SuperchargedTundra
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Joshua welcome to the forum

There are lots of build threads around here they are worth checking out...you will gain a lot of knowledge from them.

Pulling the exhaust fuse will make a difference over leaving it in, nothing extreme but noticeable. Check out some youtube exhaust videos to get an idea of what sound you like then go from there. Have the heads on the car been addressed yet? Take the time to read up some about the valve issue.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:08 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Hello! Enjoy the C6 Z06, the highest expression of what an American sports car should be!

Lots of people praise B&B exhaust. Personally, I will stay OEM until I find a set of used Akropovic Titanium mufflers for sale. I want to retain the dual mode function, and lose weight (me and the car).

PS, beware of C7 shaming. As tantalizing and fun as it might seem, mentioning that underperforming cars have underperformed (against everything from Hellcats, GT-Rs, Vipers, etc) will result in a nuke-kew-lur war from C7 fanboys.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:50 PM
DRM87
Pro

Received 450 Likes on 153 Posts

Congrats on the new vette!

I, like you, bought my Z06 last year at the ripe old age of 27 and love it! But I, like you needed more roar... (my previous vettes all had straight pipes)

1. I started by pulling the fuse... did nothing for me.

2. Installed B&B Bullets. Still quiet at idle, but has a nice throaty tone in the upper RPMs. Kept it for about a month.

3. Then, I installed a cam. Lopy idle, but about the same volume.

4. Finally, I did this, and I love it and will probably keep it until the neighbors or cops tell me otherwise.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:55 PM
Flyr282
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome Enjoy your Z. I'd recommend getting a mild to wild switch, that way you can still have it quiet whenever you feel like it. I would also recommend the Akropovic exhaust. I have the catback on my car and it sounds mean. Still makes a nice grumble with the valves closed, sounds much better open. I had my car for about 3 months and then threw everything at it all at once, had my heads rebuilt, cam, halltech intake, fast102, 102mm TB and a tune. Made more sense to me to do it all and tune it than to throw bits and pieces at it.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:56 AM
<<427_V8>>
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If you can find a set, I've always preferred the deep sound of the Bassani mufflers. They aren't in production anymore as far as I can tell - but damn, they are a great sounding cat-back. There's no mild-to-wild option, so if you're worried about drone - there's probably a bit with them. I haven't gotten a set myself yet - but will be when I finish buying other stuff first.

Otherwise, akropovic are always nice - more of a higher strung exotic sound, and do retain the mild-to-wild, as long as you pay for the option. They are damn pricey though.

Billyboat Fusion is probably a good all around system, great sound while retaining mild-to-wild and at a good price.

Good luck and make sure you take a before and after video!
Old 04-30-2015, 01:50 AM
southern soul
Cruising

I have a 2001 c5 in thinking about buy the Borla stinger exhaust cat-back ? Any thoughts or feedback from anyone who as the system. Im just looking for more aggressive sound.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:14 AM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by I-LOX
Hi. My name is Joshua.

I have wanted a corvette since I was 15. After saving a lot and not going to the bars, here I am at 26 with my Stock 2007 C6 Z06, 10,000 miles.

I have been driving it for the last 2 months(1 previous owner) and have been smiling ever since. I have enjoyed the nice quiet purr she makes. I am now looking to get a little more roar out of her. I have heard of people pulling the fuse that controls the butter-fly valves in the exhaust. Does that really make a big difference?

All in all, just here to say HI! And to ask for advice on what aftermarket brands people suggest for roar. If you would be able to tag a ballpark price with the product, that would be cool too . I am not a fan of "knock-off parts" when it comes to my car. Also, should any upgrades be done in a specific order? Cold air intake? Exhaust? Cams? Headers? I am open to all suggestions as I am quite new to this. Thank you all in advance.

The car has plenty of power so I figured I would work on sound to start. More horses to come later.
Definately pull the fuse! It takes 2 minutes and you can put it back in if nec. Roll back the front edge of pass carpet to access the fuse panel there. I thought it made a big diff, but I am alittle older than you!
Old 04-30-2015, 09:58 AM
08mojo
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DRM87
Congrats on the new vette!

I, like you, bought my Z06 last year at the ripe old age of 27 and love it! But I, like you needed more roar... (my previous vettes all had straight pipes)

1. I started by pulling the fuse... did nothing for me.

2. Installed B&B Bullets. Still quiet at idle, but has a nice throaty tone in the upper RPMs. Kept it for about a month.

3. Then, I installed a cam. Lopy idle, but about the same volume.

4. Finally, I did this, and I love it and will probably keep it until the neighbors or cops tell me otherwise.

I cannot imagine how loud this is!

OP: I did the 'muffler mod' to my Z. It sounded great with all the stock parts. However, it is way too loud with the addition of heads, cam, longtubes and x-pipe. I'm wanting to go back to stock mufflers.

If you're local to Atlanta, would you be willing to trade?
Old 04-30-2015, 10:07 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Welcome to the club OP. Be safe it can be a Beast in the upper RPM range

off topic:
Any way to flush mount the Akropovic system. I like the sound clips I've heard just don't like how far they stick out from the bumper?
Old 04-30-2015, 03:53 PM
fly a Z06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I love the deep sound of my original B & B Bullets. The Fusion's sound is similar, but the tips hang too low IMO.

The best suggestion is to go to a vette club gathering, listen for yourself and pick one.

Joel
Old 04-30-2015, 04:24 PM
Sog2
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

unfortunately I am in Nor Cal
Old 04-30-2015, 05:50 PM
murf257
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Default New Member

Hi. My name is Joshua.

Welcome to the forum.

I tried a couple different mufflers and really like the sound of the Corsa's.

With that said I have a set of Bassani's if u r interested.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:44 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Congrats! I bought my '07 last year and achieved more roar by switching to the stock 2011 exhaust, adjusting the valve closure and making adjustable the valve activation RPM (links in my signature). Enjoy!

Old 04-30-2015, 08:19 PM
I-LOX
Advanced

Originally Posted by ratomicZ06
Definately pull the fuse! It takes 2 minutes and you can put it back in if nec. Roll back the front edge of pass carpet to access the fuse panel there. I thought it made a big diff, but I am alittle older than you!
No matter the age. Once a car guy, always a car guy.
I give it a try and see how it is for a little.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:20 PM
I-LOX
Advanced

Originally Posted by fly a Z06
I love the deep sound of my original B & B Bullets. The Fusion's sound is similar, but the tips hang too low IMO.

The best suggestion is to go to a vette club gathering, listen for yourself and pick one.

Joel
Great idea. I have seen a lot of videos, but life and camera sound totally different most the time. Your totally right.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:21 PM
I-LOX
Advanced

Thank you all for the suggestions on different types and brands. I will definitely be checking all of these different ideas.

Get notified of new replies

To Need more ROAR!

Old 04-30-2015, 10:52 PM
jbs02somws6
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I pulled the fuse at first on my 09 and that was a big improvement but still too pick-up like for my taste. And I came from a c5z with the borla stinger setup. So after about five months I just had to have the borlas for my c6z. I don't care about drone so I bought a used system from lmr. Saved about 400 bucks. Anyway finally went with kooks headers and catless xpipe. This is the way to go imo. Get a cat back first then when you're bored or are ready for serious wot sound go with the headers/catless setup. I've run headers w/cats doesn't sound near as good at wot.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:26 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi. My name is Joshua.

Just run open headers me call it a day.

Mod wise

Do heads--(a must)
Since it's an 07 check to see trunions are good

While you're at it do the other stuff. Have fun.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:54 AM
DanCotti
Advanced

Originally Posted by 08mojo
I cannot imagine how loud this is!

OP: I did the 'muffler mod' to my Z. It sounded great with all the stock parts. However, it is way too loud with the addition of heads, cam, longtubes and x-pipe. I'm wanting to go back to stock mufflers.

If you're local to Atlanta, would you be willing to trade?
What exactly are you wanting to trade? I have a stock Z and I am close to Atlanta

Quick Reply: [Z06] Need more ROAR!