Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Zr1 Splitter / Spoiler Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 08:53 PM
Ramsair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Zr1 Splitter / Spoiler Question

Hi All,
Getting ready to add the ZR1 Splitter to my Z... curious as to why people choose the extended ZR1 Spoiler over the regular ZR1 spoiler? Is it mostly for looks, or does it balance out the down force better? (I personally think the extended version looks a little extreme).

I am currently running a full length aftermarket Z06 spoiler with the stock splitter and I can definitely feel front end lift ... I also have a vented hood... so that is also contributing to the lift.

Can I accomplish the right amount of down force with the regular ZR1 spoiler / splitter combination?

Thanks

Chris
Old 05-07-2015, 03:25 AM
Ludedude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vented hoods don't cause front end lift. Quite the opposite in fact.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:16 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Ramsair
Hi All,
Getting ready to add the ZR1 Splitter to my Z... curious as to why people choose the extended ZR1 Spoiler over the regular ZR1 spoiler? Is it mostly for looks, or does it balance out the down force better? (I personally think the extended version looks a little extreme).

I am currently running a full length aftermarket Z06 spoiler with the stock splitter and I can definitely feel front end lift ... I also have a vented hood... so that is also contributing to the lift.

Can I accomplish the right amount of down force with the regular ZR1 spoiler / splitter combination?

Thanks

Chris
You mentioned the ZR1 splitter briefly, I assume you are aware that you have to put the reinforcement under the nose cover because of the tremendous downforce the ZR1 splitter creates; otherwise you will distort the front facia and diminish the downforce. I have a Z07 with the ZR1 front splitter, rear spoiler and side skirts and at 150mph the car is planted.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:36 PM
Ramsair
Racer

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
You mentioned the ZR1 splitter briefly, I assume you are aware that you have to put the reinforcement under the nose cover because of the tremendous downforce the ZR1 splitter creates; otherwise you will distort the front facia and diminish the downforce. I have a Z07 with the ZR1 front splitter, rear spoiler and side skirts and at 150mph the car is planted.
Yes - have always planned on putting the reinforcement piece in... know that is a must for sustained high speed

Thanks
Old 05-07-2015, 05:33 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Ramsair
Yes - have always planned on putting the reinforcement piece in... know that is a must for sustained high speed

Thanks
Old 05-07-2015, 06:07 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Very happy I added full aero (splitter, skirts, spoiler). Car feels much, much more stable at higher speeds. Except I have the APR spoiler on mine.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:18 AM
-=MJ=-
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
Is the reinforcement piece needed for normal driving conditions? I don't drive my car much and rarely go over 75 mph. Most of the miles I put on would be in town.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:37 PM
Ramsair
Racer

Originally Posted by -=MJ=-
Is the reinforcement piece needed for normal driving conditions? I don't drive my car much and rarely go over 75 mph. Most of the miles I put on would be in town.
You will probably be fine - they highly suggest it if you are going to do 120+ for sustained periods.

My thought is not so much how it will deform the nose of the car, but more about the effect on aero if that happens. It is about a $400 cost to reinforce it... unless you do it yourself ... then just under $200. So for me it makes sense.

Also if you ever sell the car, make sure you disclose if you have not added the reinforcement ... you know how excited some guys get with their new Z

I have the full length Z06 spoiler now that I will be selling to upgrade to the ZR1 spoiler... at this point I do not think I will do the extended one. If it is true that my vented hood is not creating lift - then the added splitter / spoiler should plant the car pretty well.

At 160ish + right now if feels like it is floating a little to much. End of the year I will be doing H/C/I ... so I know it will only get worse

Thanks

Chris

Get notified of new replies

To Zr1 Splitter / Spoiler Question

Quick Reply: [Z06] Zr1 Splitter / Spoiler Question