Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Anyone run NTO5's on the rear with Michelin PSS's up front?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 11:35 PM
Pinski 1
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Anyone run NTO5's on the rear with Michelin PSS's up front?

I'm in the process of trying to get rid of this high speed death wobble in my car. Done everything besides change tires so I was thinking of putting these on the rear but was seeing if anyone has run this combo first.If so, how did they perform?

Thanks !
Old 05-11-2015, 01:28 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,498 Likes on 2,592 Posts

If you only use 70% of the capability of the car and never get in emergency situations, then it will be OK, especially if all you want to do is see if the "death wobble" is from the tires. The PSS will have more grip than the NT-05's so in a hard cornering situation the car will want to oversteer more than normal.

With a high performance car I would not recommend mixing tires either front/rear or on the same axle. Why get a high performance car and then degrade it's performance envelope?
Old 05-11-2015, 10:40 AM
LS1Andrew
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I've posted in a few other threads, but I also have MPSS and the high speed death wobble. It only happens after hard shifts though. If I put the car in 3rd at a low mph and roll through at WOT, it doesn't wobble. If I nail 3rd after a WOT run in 2nd, the wobble begins.

I'm thinking it really is an issue with the Pilot Super Sport tires though, as I've seen them mentioned quite a bit on here and also SVTPerformance with a few GT500s.

It's a shame. I really loved these tires for the first 15-20,000 miles or so. They grip like crazy and look really good too.

Please post back in here if swapping tires fixes your issue.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:52 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

can some1 explain me exactly how MPSS cause death wobble?

i am on my second set with no problems
Old 05-11-2015, 12:53 PM
LS1Andrew
Instructor

Originally Posted by MUKAK
can some1 explain me exactly how MPSS cause death wobble?

i am on my second set with no problems

I don't know for sure if they do in my case, but I plan on swapping wheels/tires with a buddy soon. I've had an alignment and that didn't help with the death wobble. Other people have swapped away from MPSS and had the issue go away.

Jacking up my tire pressure (35+psi cold) seems to help.

I'm just trying to figure it out, because I really liked these tires before this.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Describe what is happening when your car encounters this death wobble. Are you spinning the tires or are they sticking but causing the car to twitch back and forth? Are you just driving at a high rate of speed and finally getting a high enough speed the car starts to move back and forth violently. Is this wobble a violent bouncing type of vibration Vs a wobble which is sideways? Do you have any messages on the DIC when this is happening?

Precise descriptions help to analyze an issue and to suggest solutions.

Bill
Old 05-11-2015, 01:27 PM
Pinski 1
Instructor

Default Death wobble

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Describe what is happening when your car encounters this death wobble. Are you spinning the tires or are they sticking but causing the car to twitch back and forth? Are you just driving at a high rate of speed and finally getting a high enough speed the car starts to move back and forth violently. Is this wobble a violent bouncing type of vibration Vs a wobble which is sideways? Do you have any messages on the DIC when this is happening?

Precise descriptions help to analyze an issue and to suggest solutions.

Bill
What happens to me is, under WOT acceleration through the gears I start to get a wobble (side to side) in the rear end when I hit the top of third gear and continues into fourth gear. This only happens under hard WOT acceleration . If I'm just cruising along and gradually get up to speed it's as smooth as glass up through 140 MPH. I recently had heads and cam done and with the new additional power it is worse and even comes on a little earlier in third gear. It's very scary and makes you immediately get out of it and slow down. It even continues after you get out of the gas untill you get down to a certain speed. I also noticed that if I run the cold tire pressure up to 38 psi it helps get rid of some of this "wobble". I had the whole car checked out by the shop that did the heads and cam and they could not find anything that's warn or would cause this. Wish I have someone local that I could switch tires with before I went out and got new tires just to see if it clears up the problem.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:47 PM
LS1Andrew
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pinski 1
What happens to me is, under WOT acceleration through the gears I start to get a wobble (side to side) in the rear end when I hit the top of third gear and continues into fourth gear. This only happens under hard WOT acceleration . If I'm just cruising along and gradually get up to speed it's as smooth as glass up through 140 MPH. I recently had heads and cam done and with the new additional power it is worse and even comes on a little earlier in third gear. It's very scary and makes you immediately get out of it and slow down. It even continues after you get out of the gas untill you get down to a certain speed. I also noticed that if I run the cold tire pressure up to 38 psi it helps get rid of some of this "wobble". I had the whole car checked out by the shop that did the heads and cam and they could not find anything that's warn or would cause this. Wish I have someone local that I could switch tires with before I went out and got new tires just to see if it clears up the problem.

Pretty much exactly the same for me.
WOT shifts upset the rear and it starts to wobble.

If I go WOT at a low mph and let the car run through that gear (no shifts) it's rock solid, smooth, and no wobble.

If I go WOT in 2nd and shift hard into 3rd, the wobble starts. By the shift into 4th it's really bad and I have to back out.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:01 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS1Andrew

If I go WOT at a low mph and let the car run through that gear (no shifts) it's rock solid, smooth, and no wobble.

If I go WOT in 2nd and shift hard into 3rd, the wobble starts. By the shift into 4th it's really bad and I have to back out.
Standard factory shocks?

Stock LS7 with Bilstein Sports and PSS in the stock sizes and I've had no problem doing 173 in the standing mile and 196 in the standing 1 1/2 mile. Done in Competition mode in an 09 Z06.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:10 PM
silvrhand
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I have had the same, tire pressure, alignment, new rims and tires and it seems to be gone now. Same tires as well Michelin PSS
Old 05-11-2015, 09:45 PM
LS1Andrew
Instructor

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Standard factory shocks?

Stock LS7 with Bilstein Sports and PSS in the stock sizes and I've had no problem doing 173 in the standing mile and 196 in the standing 1 1/2 mile. Done in Competition mode in an 09 Z06.

09 Z06, standard factory shocks. Almost always drive in competition mode.

How many miles on the PSS? Mine didn't do it at all for the first 15k+ miles.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:46 PM
LS1Andrew
Instructor

Originally Posted by silvrhand
I have had the same, tire pressure, alignment, new rims and tires and it seems to be gone now. Same tires as well Michelin PSS

New tires and it's fine now?
How many miles were on the old PSS?
Old 05-11-2015, 09:55 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

09 Z06, standard factory shocks. Almost always drive in competition mode.

How many miles on the PSS? Mine didn't do it at all for the first 15k+ miles.
20K miles and no issues. I'd suggest changing the shocks, first choice DRM Bilstein's.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:11 AM
LS1Andrew
Instructor

Originally Posted by AzDave47
20K miles and no issues. I'd suggest changing the shocks, first choice DRM Bilstein's.

Just a few I've found...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d-acceleration

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/236194-wobble-mpsss.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ease-help.html

http://www.the370z.com/wheels-tires/...er-sports.html

I also contacted the OP of this thread and he and I both have the same production codes on our rear tires. One of mine was 4312 (43rd week of 2012, I'll have to check the other one tonight) and his were 4312 and 4412.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Q427
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get a Wobble when pressing the gas ( underload ) its your inner CV axle going bad.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:25 AM
LS1Andrew
Instructor

Originally Posted by Q427
If you get a Wobble when pressing the gas ( underload ) its your inner CV axle going bad.
It's only on hard shifts when going WOT. If i roll into a gear and go WOT, no wobble.

The OP and plenty of others have the problem go away completely with a new set of tires.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:01 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Interesting. I've experienced this wobble, but I always attributed it to the road conditions. I've had no problems just driving through it while keeping both hands on the wheel.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone run NTO5's on the rear with Michelin PSS's up front?

Old 09-03-2015, 10:37 AM
LS1Andrew
Instructor

Bringing this one back from the dead.

Swapped on new tires yesterday (MPSS again).
Absolutely NO wobble.
No other changes made. No alignment, no CV axle, no shocks, nothing...

It was absolutely something with the old tires. I don't know if it was the mileage on them, but the problem was 100% fixed with new tires and no other changes.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Bringing this one back from the dead.

Swapped on new tires yesterday (MPSS again).
Absolutely NO wobble.
No other changes made. No alignment, no CV axle, no shocks, nothing...

It was absolutely something with the old tires. I don't know if it was the mileage on them, but the problem was 100% fixed with new tires and no other changes.
Never did hear from the OP whether or not his problem has been resolved. I had forgotten about this thread and drove right by his location about 4 weeks ago.

Bill
Old 09-05-2015, 08:25 AM
Pinski 1
Instructor

My problem was taken care of as soon as I replaced my tires as well. Just like Andrew, didn't touch anything on the car and as soon as the tires went on, the problem was gone!!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Anyone run NTO5's on the rear with Michelin PSS's up front?