Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Qustions for Darrin Morgan.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 10:27 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Darin, care to weigh in on valve control/spintron/etc. Lots of people here think you can't control a SS valve, that dual springs are bad.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:39 AM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Darin Morgan
More and more aftermarket heads are being offered and I know of one coming out that is not only better but will kill the price point on any stock heads. I have to lean more towards aftermarket heads. They are thicker, stronger and have more porting options.
What would you recommend a Z06 owner inside of an extended warranty do in regards to going to an HPDE day; run and don't worry, don't run, etc??
Old 07-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by chadyellowz
same valve seals also I deleted or made all vids private. to many ppl attacking my credibility so i seen no reason to post anymore info, I also deleted all my posts from hibs thread as well
I'm really sorry to see/hear this. I'm the type that enjoys seeing things, more than reading about it. Hope you change your mind or find a way to share with those with interest.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:19 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts

To many A holes and know it all's on here I don't have time for it anymore as i've been so busy I havent had time to post much anymore...I will make the vids public when i get home tonight. I have a vid I want Darin to see anyway
Glad to hear it. I appreciate your change of heart.

I'm not here to take sides or stir pots or stroke anyones ego. I'm just interested in learning what's going on with this.

I hope we can all forget the sandbox fighting and stay on subject. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:35 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Jean
Glad to hear it. I appreciate your change of heart.

I'm not here to take sides or stir pots or stroke anyones ego. I'm just interested in learning what's going on with this.

I hope we can all forget the sandbox fighting and stay on subject. Thanks.
These are awesome Vettes and the more we can learn and get corrected, the better imo.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:27 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I don’t like hollow exhaust valves in any engine. In my opinion, they should never be used in a high performance engine. Not that they won’t function perfectly in this rare instance but in all other instances the results have been less than favorable. I can only think of one instance in high performance engines where hollow exhaust valves are used and that’s only because there rule book outlawed Titanium valves otherwise they would be running Titanium. There are instances in racing where engine builders MUST use hollow stem exhaust valves due to the fact that there rule book outlaws Titanium or other nonferrous metals (NHRA Super Stock for instance). Given a choice in the matter, I will run either a solid stem exhaust valve designed for reduced weight or use Titanium once the valve train control becomes a problem.

(1) My solid stem high nickel stainless exhaust valves for the LS7 weigh in at 94.5grams. Surely anyone can control a 95gram exhaust valve to 7000rpm using the springs we have at our disposable today. People forget that the exhaust gas is helping the exhaust valve close so having it slightly heavier than the intake is not a factor.

(2) If you operate your engine to 7500rpm or higher, you need Titanium valves. I said you need them I didn't say you cant get way with turning an engine 7500rpm with steal valves. Just wanted to head this question off at the pass. LOL You can get way with it but Ti valves will make a LOT more power and cost less in the long run because they control the valve train better.

As far as changing seat material goes, yes you should. Can you get away with not doing it? Sure you can. The stock seat material seems to work rather well with Ti valves. That’s not to say you won’t get more valve life out of copper seats, you will. I have been pleasantly surprised at the lack of seat wear in the LS7 road race heads that utilize Ti exhaust valves. We don’t use any coatings on the exhaust valves because to date, all coating on the exhaust valves in race engines have failed. Some quickly some slowly over time.

I did not mean oil doesn’t matter simply by omitting it from my answer. It’s not really specific to this discussion. I left a lot of stuff out of my answer because I wanted to narrow things down to the root causes and not get off on tangents as these threads so often do. Will oil with the proper amount of ZDDP help with valve guide problems, yes. The proper oil helps with everything! Ring seal, ring life, valve guide life, Rocker arm tip life, bearing life, reduced component operating temperature, I could go on and on.
Thanks for that respond Darin.

I really don't want to belabor the same question, but can you provide some more detail on what it is you find, or have seen with respect to hollow stemmed exh valve problems? What exactly does "less than favorable" mean? Other than the most obvious, PTVC, I'd like to know what else can, or does happen.

With the exception of some older Ford engines, this LS7 is the first engine I've screwed with that uses these valves on the exh.

Controlling this valve train to 7000 isn't the concern, it's the over revs. There are some, myself included, who want a good 600-800rpm over fuel cutoff speed for these situations (I have personally seen 7600rpm twice now). Until someone shows me verified sprin rig results of a 95g valve staying in control at 7600rpm, I will not consider using one.

The next time I yank these damn heads off, I'm stuffing Ti valves in both sides, like I had intended to do several years ago, but was talked out of doing so....
Old 07-03-2015, 01:01 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

To many A holes and know it all's on here I don't have time for it anymore as i've been so busy I havent had time to post much...I will make the vids public when i get home tonight. I have a vid I want Darin to see anyway
Right or wrong, I like that you took the time to make videos, and work on engines. That places you in much higher standing than critics who do neither.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:09 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Michael_D

I really don't want to belabor the same question, but can you provide some more detail on what it is you find, or have seen with respect to hollow stemmed exh valve problems? What exactly does "less than favorable" mean? Other than the most obvious, PTVC, I'd like to know what else can, or does happen.

With the exception of some older Ford engines, this LS7 is the first engine I've screwed with that uses these valves on the exh.

Controlling this valve train to 7000 isn't the concern, it's the over revs. There are some, myself included, who want a good 600-800rpm over fuel cutoff speed for these situations (I have personally seen 7600rpm twice now). Until someone shows me verified sprin rig results of a 95g valve staying in control at 7600rpm, I will not consider using one.

The next time I yank these damn heads off, I'm stuffing Ti valves in both sides, like I had intended to do several years ago, but was talked out of doing so....
Forgive my ignorance as I am very new to the LS7 and there is a lot of reading for me to do in this section....but could the failure issues be more associated with cars that are being spun past 7000 rpms? It's crazy that some motors have 50k or more miles and no issues and then others go south with less that 15k on them.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Forgive my ignorance as I am very new to the LS7 and there is a lot of reading for me to do in this section....but could the failure issues be more associated with cars that are being spun past 7000 rpms? It's crazy that some motors have 50k or more miles and no issues and then others go south with less that 15k on them.
The thing is with cars with higher mileage, very few of those people are checking. So while they haven't dropped a valve yet, I would be surprised if many, or any of them are in spec guide wise. I think that leads more towards variation in the valves, were some on the thicker side of wall thickness can withstand more of a beating, and those unlucky cars with thinner valves get the heads beat off.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:29 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,345 Likes on 778 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

To many A holes and know it all's on here I don't have time for it anymore as i've been so busy I havent had time to post much...I will make the vids public when i get home tonight. I have a vid I want Darin to see anyway
Put them on the ignore list.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:36 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Unreal
The thing is with cars with higher mileage, very few of those people are checking. So while they haven't dropped a valve yet, I would be surprised if many, or any of them are in spec guide wise. I think that leads more towards variation in the valves, were some on the thicker side of wall thickness can withstand more of a beating, and those unlucky cars with thinner valves get the heads beat off.
Thanks for the response, sounds like it's a flip of the old coin.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:43 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Thanks for the response, sounds like it's a flip of the old coin.
One of my friends here, CPR customer had a radial crack forming around the base of one of the exhaust valves when he pulled his heads. That is the closest to failure I've seen a car. You could see the crack going about 1/2 way around the head of the valve. Guides were 3-4x the service limit. There is variation in all parts made. Unless you pull the valves and do some sort of x-ray/ultrasonic depth/etc to measure wall thickness and inspect all the valves, really no way to tell if you have valves with good solid thickness or lack of defects.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:12 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

One of my friends here, CPR customer had a radial crack forming around the base of one of the exhaust valves when he pulled his heads. That is the closest to failure I've seen a car. You could see the crack going about 1/2 way around the head of the valve. Guides were 3-4x the service limit. There is variation in all parts made. Unless you pull the valves and do some sort of x-ray/ultrasonic depth/etc to measure wall thickness and inspect all the valves, really no way to tell if you have valves with good solid thickness or lack of defects.
I'm really torn on what to do with mine when it gets to CA. Part of me wants to just get it to AHP to get done right and part of me says to leave it be. I have never been hard on my vehicles and maintain them well....I did get a GMMGP ( GM Major Guard Package ) good for 4 years from the dealer I just bought the car from.

Also, met Joe (CPR) when I lived in Phoenix. Did some brake work on my GS. Great guy and great shop.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:58 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm really torn on what to do with mine when it gets to CA. Part of me wants to just get it to AHP to get done right and part of me says to leave it be. I have never been hard on my vehicles and maintain them well....I did get a GMMGP ( GM Major Guard Package ) good for 4 years from the dealer I just bought the car from.

Also, met Joe (CPR) when I lived in Phoenix. Did some brake work on my GS. Great guy and great shop.
Take it to AHP, great shop
Old 07-06-2015, 04:38 PM
Darin Morgan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Darin, care to weigh in on valve control/spintron/etc. Lots of people here think you can't control a SS valve, that dual springs are bad.
Dual springs are bad in certain cases just as beehive springs are bad in certain cases. You cant just say that all dual springs in all cases will end up with a bad result.

Usually its very difficult to control a SS valve train past 7000rpm. Up to 7000 is a snap just so long as your not trying to control 120g+ solid stem valves. Putting steal intakes in an LS7 is just crazy as far as I am concerned. I see heads sold that way but refuse to do it myself. The intake is far to heavy to control up to 7000rpm.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:48 PM
Darin Morgan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael_D

"Less than favorable" was a nice way of saying they snapped them in half like a dead tree in hurricane. LOL I have yet to see them live in high performance applications.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:31 AM
skywalker
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Valve seals

Great info Darin . Thanks for taking the time.
You said along with removing the spring from the seals you also slit the seal to allow more oil on the race heads . Would you recommend this for a street car and would you discribe how you do that.
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Qustions for Darrin Morgan.......

Old 07-07-2015, 01:23 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Location: SacCityCorvette.com in Sacramento Ca Join us on Facebook!
Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12,'13,'15,'16,'17

Great info! Thank you Darin! :cheers
Old 07-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Premiumspeed
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Great read! Thanks for the help Darin.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:48 PM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More and more aftermarket heads are being offered and I know of one coming out that is not only better but will kill the price point on any stock heads. I have to lean more towards aftermarket heads. They are thicker, stronger and have more porting options.
Any Hint on the Heads you would lean towards...?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Qustions for Darrin Morgan.......