Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LG Coilovers: What is the Easiest Way to Properly Adjust??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:27 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default LG Coilovers: What is the Easiest Way to Properly Adjust??

I have read the instructions, but I didnt install them.

I want to lower the car more. I would say somewhat "very low" as the instructions suggests.

What is the easiest/quickest way to properly do this? Given I didnt do the install - How do I know whether to adjust the spring pre-load or extend the body length?

As per LG's instructions -

There are two ways to change the ride height of your car with these coil overs. 1.
Via spring pre-load; 2. Via extended body length. As the shocks come to you they have
little to no pre-load in the spring. For heavier cars you may find it needed to increase
pre-load up to ¼” to 3/8”. Extended lengths are set for a slight drop in height, for those
wanting to drop the car very low you will need to screw these pieces together almost all
the way. NOTE: Make sure the lower part is not connected to the lower control arm. By
turning the shock inside the mount you may loose the top mount.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:18 PM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

The LG coil springs are OK for track and maybe 95% of street driving. But occasionally I would hit a nasty bump and the rear springs would completely bind and you would lose a few teeth. Turns out the springs are 6" long and compressed to 4" installed. With coil bind at 2 1/2" this leaves only 1 1/2" of travel. There's enough thread on the shock for longer springs so I got some Eibach at 8" long. These give another 1 1/2" of travel and no more bottoming out.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:46 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

is there a diy for adjusting the height? im looking for steps, a video, something that will ensure I wont screw up.

j
Old 05-23-2015, 12:10 AM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

lg said I need to remove the big bolt that goes through the bottom of the control arm...but i dont see why i need to do that?

i thought you can simply - loosen jam nut with spanner (bottom adjuster on the base) .....put jam nut where you want ride height to be (i was told 2:1 - does that mean .5" of thread = 1" of ride height, or .5" of thread = .25" of ride height?)....then using spanner on top nut, rotate it down towards the floor.

Please let me know!
Old 05-23-2015, 06:52 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I have installed these before ....to go low, you have to pretty much shorten the shock body length before install and make your fine tune adjustments using the collars up against the spring. Fine tune adjustments includes no more than 1 or 2 full turns of the spring collar (not the shock body/housing).
Old 05-23-2015, 05:55 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

still not feeling comfortable...and Ive adjusted a few coilovers before (mainly KW)

Can someone check out my 6th post above, and lmk re: the ratio, and if what I am saying is correct with respect to the procedure (knowing now that I will remove the lower bolt from the control arm prior to any adjustments.)

Also, when I remove the bolt - I assume I just place a jack under the control arm to hold it in place - or ??
Old 05-23-2015, 11:05 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Why? Because it will look 1000x better. That's why.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:34 AM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

this is my 2nd z, 2nd low z....and 8th low car....ill be ok.

I appreciate you looking out!

Last edited by Geared; 05-24-2015 at 02:58 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:19 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Yes...OP knows how to drive a lowered car. It's different....but definitely takes a little know how to get around in a lowered Z.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:21 AM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLastCorvette
Do you remember the spring rate? I was thinking 450 lbs when I placed the order. LG's tech guy said no, go with the 550 lbs, with the dampening setting previous mentioned.

I have not driven her enough to make many suggestions on set up. But I can increase the preload of the spring, if bottoming becomes a problem. I can also adjust the dampening valving, which after reading about your problems I think I will.
Eibach 0800-250-0550. 0800=8" length, 250= 2.50" spring diameter, 0550= 550lb rate
Old 05-24-2015, 03:13 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

^good info man. I drive a slammed Z with no problems. Just have to know where to stay away...it's not that bad. I drive to work 1-2 times a week, weekend road trips, and track 5-6 times a year. Yes it's different...yes I'm on my 3rd set of sideskirts (wouldn't have matter if I was lowered or stock), but it's completely worth it when it's done right and looks good.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:10 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

While I too, like mine in the weeds sometimes it just doesn't work. My C4 has coil overs and I had no problem (other than scraping on the convertible XBrace while getting out of my Scottsdale driveway at 0.5 mph on a pure sideways move) in Arizona as the roads are pretty good and they have little enough rain that they don't seem to need large driveway angles. But I had to raise that car 5/8ths of an inch when I moved back to San Diego. So how low the car can go is very dependent on where you live. My Z has a little more ride height lowered on stock bolts but since it doesn't have a sacrificial convertible cross brace like the C4 roadster, I would never consider going lower.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:31 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

If you try and leave the entire assembly in the car and loosen the jam nut and turn the shock body...there is a chance it can "grab" the upper nut at the top mount and unscrew it depending on which way you are moving the body. Sometimes the piston will spin inside the body and you are free and clear but it isn't worth the risk. Same thing can happen at the front and it will unscrew the upper mount. That is why we always say remove the lower mount from the arm and move then re-assemble.

you can make smaller ride height adjustments at the spring as long as you are not adding a ton of preload to the spring to raise the car.

Get notified of new replies

To LG Coilovers: What is the Easiest Way to Properly Adjust??

Quick Reply: [Z06] LG Coilovers: What is the Easiest Way to Properly Adjust??