Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 13Z - Svce. Active Handling/Svce. Traction Control: Video

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 06:51 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default 13Z - Svce. Active Handling/Svce. Traction Control: Video

At 12 seconds and you will hear a buzz followed by the 3 chime warning sound, and then Svce. Active Handling/Svce. Traction Control appeared on the DIC. At that point it felt and sounded similar to hitting the rev limiter, but I didn't. No CEL light. I've been getting a pulsation in the rear brakes. Stopped the car, turned the engine off, restarted and it was cleared.

The last time this happened I did get the CEL too. Dealership found codes indicating 2 cylinders misfired. Checked the plugs and they were good.

Anyone have this happen and get it resolved?
Old 05-24-2015, 09:16 PM
Mrfitter
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had a plug wire come loose at the coil pack that did that. It looked like it was on rubber boot on but no connection. Check the wires real good . Hope it's that easy. Good luck.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:47 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Checked them and they're good. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:41 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Check the ground at the engine block LH side fwd of the motor mount.
Also check battery condition.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:06 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

This is too common in these cars, here's what I've learned... Battery, plug wires, ecm, EBCM, wheel sensor, wiring under passenger floor at fuse box(connection). Codes should put you in right direction... Mine had a bunch and was the EBCM.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:55 PM
2003Evo
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

First of all the misfire issue should be investigated a bit further...you said plugs and wires are okay, do you think you drove on bad fuel? I would do a compression check or leak down check to make sure your engine is healthy, with the known head issue anything is possible.
Active handling and traction control are part os AbS module so i would keep an eye on that.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:28 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Thanks for the many suggestions from all who replied. When I got the misfire code, the tech only checked the spark plugs. I never felt it misfire.
It's not bad fuel as the car has been running fine with the exception of the occasional traction control/active handling problem. This has happened 6 times in 2,000 miles. Only one time with the CEL. I'm hoping there will be some codes when I bring it back to the dealership. Perhaps it has something to do with the pulsation from the rear brakes.

This time, I could definitely feel a loss of power for an instant. Half a second. Right at 12 seconds in the video.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:01 PM
2003Evo
Pro

Pulsation of the brakes is your ABS kickin in
Old 05-25-2015, 07:34 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Originally Posted by 2003Evo
Pulsation of the brakes is your ABS kickin in
They always pulsate, like deposits on the rotor or a runout problem. I will have the dealer look at them and resurface, but the buzz I heard at 12 seconds could have been the ABS. I was accelerating slightly at the time. Could be the EBCM is the problem as suggested earlier. Hoping for some codes when I bring it in to the dealership Wednesday.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:53 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

[QUOTE=Wass;1589703408]They always pulsate, like deposits on the rotor or a runout problem. I will have the dealer look at them and resurface, but the buzz I heard at 12 seconds could have been the ABS. I was accelerating slightly at the time. Could be the EBCM is the problem as suggested earlier. Hoping for some codes when I bring it in to
Certain engine codes will make make the abs traction control warnings to come on, fix misfire ect before anything else.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:27 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by psp6158
This is too common in these cars, here's what I've learned... Battery, plug wires, ecm, EBCM, wheel sensor, wiring under passenger floor at fuse box(connection). Codes should put you in right direction... Mine had a bunch and was the EBCM.
That's a good summary. I recently had pretty much every DIC warning and symbol in the dash going off, in addition to the intermittent loss of gauges (full loss or partial loss in random fashion). All the modules listed above, and the things that signal them such as a wheel sensor, talk to each other in one big circuit. All it takes is one bad element in that circuit to ruin the communication between them and set off the warnings. In my case a code reader couldn't even establish a link to pull the codes, but that's very rare. As long as you have a decent dealership it should be pretty easy to isolate and fix your problem. Good luck.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:01 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would be unplugging the steering wheel sensor harness until you figure it out so that the AH and TC are disabled so the car can't go all Christine on you.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:08 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you by chance have a passenger with you? If you did they were pressing down on the floorboard and your high speed data busses lost communications (the two big blue connectors). It will cause the symptoms you described.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:10 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'11

No passenger. Dealership found a random misfire code again today. No other codes. Engine is running fine. They checked plugs, wires, connections. They can't find the cause.

Did it again on the way home. Third gear at about 5,500 rpms. The CEL flashed and Service Active Handling/Service Traction Control appeared on the DIC. The CEL did not remain lit but the other warnings did continue to flash. I stopped the car, turned the ignition off and then back on. No more warnings. Took it up to red line in third and everything seemed perfect. I can't make it happen! It just does it when it wants to.

Next time it happens I'll take it back to the dealership while it's still flashing the warning in the DIC.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:32 AM
LA_Z06
Advanced

This has been mentioned, but did you end up checking the battery? Go to Autozone or Pep Boys and get it checked out. Make sure it's capable of taking a full charge.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:09 AM
Wass
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I had the service TC/AH problem once with my 09Z and it was the battery. I'd get the warning at idle. I don't think the battery would cause the warning at speed with a CEL. I did put the car in start without running the engine, and the battery is 12.1. Usually 14.5-14.7 at speed.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:36 PM
LA_Z06
Advanced

A bad battery can possibly cause a check engine light to come on along with the service AH/TC and other messages that pop up on the DIC. Your gauges may even stop working. If the battery is bad, the warnings won't only come on at idle but they can pop up at speed as well.

The point is that I would just check the battery since it's such a simple and easy thing to check. Don't just check the voltage, make sure the state of health and state of charge are both good after driving it around for a while. At the very least it's one more thing to check off the list of possible issues.

Last edited by LA_Z06; 05-28-2015 at 05:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 13Z - Svce. Active Handling/Svce. Traction Control: Video

Old 05-28-2015, 04:26 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

This has happened to me when the battery was low. It happened when the tire sensors were not set to the car and it has happened when th starter pulled too much power from the battery when starting the engine while hot with a weak starter
Old 05-28-2015, 08:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Wass
No passenger. Dealership found a random misfire code again today. No other codes. Engine is running fine. They checked plugs, wires, connections. They can't find the cause.

Did it again on the way home. Third gear at about 5,500 rpms. The CEL flashed and Service Active Handling/Service Traction Control appeared on the DIC. The CEL did not remain lit but the other warnings did continue to flash. I stopped the car, turned the ignition off and then back on. No more warnings. Took it up to red line in third and everything seemed perfect. I can't make it happen! It just does it when it wants to.

Next time it happens I'll take it back to the dealership while it's still flashing the warning in the DIC.
The intermittent misfire is causing the problem. When the misfire starts the ECM sends a message to the EBCM saying it can't do its job. The EBCM sets a code that says the problem isn't here and turns on the Service Message. When the misfire goes away the ECM shuts off the CEL but once a code is set in the EBCM you have to reset it by restarting the engine to get rid of the code. You need to address the CEL issue the AH is fine and doing what it is supposed to do (shut off when the ECM can't reliably control torque).

Check all of the spark plug wires, the wiring from the ECM to the coils and the coils themselves. You could have a coil getting to the point it may fail. Also check your spark plugs. If it isn't ignition related it could be fuel related so check the wiring to the injectors and run some cleaner through the fuel system. Pull the injectors and inspect them to see if they are dirty.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-28-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:44 AM
2003Evo
Pro

Flashing CEL is bad..actually really bad that you are supposed to actually stop the vehicle. Flashing CEL means random misfire and you need to take care of that asap. Forget what the dealer says, request a leak down test ASAP..i hope this is not valve related since they keep saying plugs and coils are good

Quick Reply: [Z06] 13Z - Svce. Active Handling/Svce. Traction Control: Video