Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Rotor Rust

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 12:39 PM
RobsVette04
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 244 Posts

Default Rotor Rust

So, I bought some new rotors from R1 concepts.

Product was nice, until I washed the car once. Lots of rust, and for some odd reason, braking has not wiped it away as it usually does.

While I know rust after a wash is normal, it usually goes away as well, not in this case.

Any products that you'd suggest to get the rust off of there?

Of course the company has brushed me off and said its normal, so please avoid R1 concepts in CA if you're considering getting products from them.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:11 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is your braking performance diminished by the physics defying rust? What driving conditions did you perform that you thought would have wiped away the rust? How many stops? what speed? I would think that it might take more pressure and heat to wipe them fully. I wouldn't worry about it if you still have braking performance.

Originally Posted by RobsVette04
So, I bought some new rotors from R1 concepts.

Product was nice, until I washed the car once. Lots of rust, and for some odd reason, braking has not wiped it away as it usually does.

While I know rust after a wash is normal, it usually goes away as well, not in this case.

Any products that you'd suggest to get the rust off of there?

Of course the company has brushed me off and said its normal, so please avoid R1 concepts in CA if you're considering getting products from them.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:54 PM
LMBTom
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember when I got my coleman rotors, they got some rust spots on them that took a month or two to go away. I haven't noticed any long-term rust since then.

It's probably just because they're new and haven't yet bedded fully with the pads. I wouldn't do anything and would let it wear away naturally.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:30 PM
RobsVette04
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 244 Posts

Thank you all very much.

Not much driving, especially hard braking, has been done yet. I guess I was hoping it would go away with just a couple stops from 40-50 MPH.

All great tips.

Get notified of new replies

To Rotor Rust

Quick Reply: [Z06] Rotor Rust