Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2007 z06 1900 miles, never had oil changed. question

Old 05-27-2015, 06:26 AM
RPOL36
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 z06 1900 miles, never had oil changed. question

Looking at a 2007 z06 with 1900 miles and has never had the oil changed.

If I buy this car is there any issue driving it 2 hrs home?
Old 05-27-2015, 07:59 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

I'm no expert on motor oil, but I'd prefer to have a local Chevy dealer at the least change the oil before you drive it any further than you have to.

Obviously with a C6 Z06, the car sits so low and you need it level to properly drain, otherwise I'd say just do it yourself in the drive way or what have you, my Dad and I did that on a C3 big block that had been sitting for 20+ years one time.

I wouldn't hesitate to suggest to the owner that they neglected it by not changing the oil in eight years, and you will want to flat bed the car to your house or a local dealer, and get them to drop the price another $500.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:33 AM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

What does the oil look like on the dipstick? What state is the car in? Arizona or Louisiana? What about the gas? Is it ancient too?
Old 05-27-2015, 08:47 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plan on changing all the fluids as quickly as reasonable - with emphasis on the gas and engine oil.

Motor oil breaks down over time, even without use once exposed to air and humidity. Depending on its present state, it could be detrimental to bearing life if you drive it.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:04 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 227 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Random84
Plan on changing all the fluids as quickly as reasonable - with emphasis on the gas and engine oil.

Motor oil breaks down over time, even without use once exposed to air and humidity. Depending on its present state, it could be detrimental to bearing life if you drive it.
I agree, figure you are going to change it any way when you get her home, see if you can find someone where the car is that is familiar with these cars and have it changed. Will take less than an hour, again, make sure they work on these cars! Its not that difficult but they need the pucks for the lift, 2 oil plugs etc.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:14 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Bought my 2007 Z in 2010 when it had 300, yes 300 miles on it. I changed it when the computer said 20% left. No issues.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:30 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 733 Likes on 543 Posts

It would be valuable to take a sample of that oil for analysis! Then we'd all know for sure how much oil degrades from just sitting.
It's against my religion to pay someone else to change my oil... but in this case, I'd have to. Too creepy to drive it with 8 year old oil.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:47 AM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,318 Likes on 765 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

No, take it home have the oil changed and enjoy it. Don't try to set any land speed records with 8 year tires though.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:25 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,911 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Get a good price for the car and dump the oil. You are essentially buying a brand new car without a warranty so that should be factored into the pricing. New cars come with warranties for a reason and you are taking a risk when buying it. That risk should be acknowledged with a substantial price reduction. Cars are made to be driven not to sit around so cars that are only driven 1900 miles in 8 years have been abused and not changing the oil once per year as recommended by GM is added abuse.

With that low of a mileage the odds are the engine never really got warmed up enough to boil off pollutants (moisture, acid and other combustion byproducts) and letting them sit in the engine for that amount of time really allowed them to do maximum damage. It is highly probable the engine may have been periodically idled for 20 to 30 minutes during that time period which is also a very poor practice.

Bill
Old 05-27-2015, 11:30 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Also check tires. Probably plan on replacing tires right away.

I would swap all the fluids ASAP, and swap gas out ASAP if it has been sitting for 6+ months without fresh gas.

I've seen more issues with super low mileage cars sitting awhile than high mileage cars that are well maintained. Just be aware of what you are getting and what it could need.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:42 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 733 Likes on 543 Posts

... can't generalize as to what use the car had from new. I wouldn't assume it had been regularly driven short distances. I'd venture that most of these with ultra low miles were purchased to collect/preserve/resell for profit later. Bad for the original owner, good for the new buyer!
Take it to the local Corvette shop (you were having a PPI done anyway, right?), have them change all the fluids. Brake and clutch fluid too. Smile all the way home!
Old 05-27-2015, 11:59 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

That oil has been sitting in there for 8 years..I'd change it first but that's just me. Doesn't the owner manual state go by the DIC or change once a year anyway? I'd actually have all the fluids changed while you're at it.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:38 PM
RUGBY
Safety Car

Probably no issue(s) however, you're buying what a $47.5k car?

I would think another $100 is well worth it before you drive it home.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:56 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I recently bought a 2008 with 974 miles on it....it has been A-OK....but I did change the oil before driving.

j
Old 05-27-2015, 01:07 PM
NOSZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Get a good price for the car and dump the oil. You are essentially buying a brand new car without a warranty so that should be factored into the pricing. New cars come with warranties for a reason and you are taking a risk when buying it. That risk should be acknowledged with a substantial price reduction. Cars are made to be driven not to sit around so cars that are only driven 1900 miles in 8 years have been abused and not changing the oil once per year as recommended by GM is added abuse.

With that low of a mileage the odds are the engine never really got warmed up enough to boil off pollutants (moisture, acid and other combustion byproducts) and letting them sit in the engine for that amount of time really allowed them to do maximum damage. It is highly probable the engine may have been periodically idled for 20 to 30 minutes during that time period which is also a very poor practice.

Bill

THIS

Change your oil
Old 05-27-2015, 05:33 PM
2StrikeHtr
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Besides all of the good reasons given to change the fluids above:

If the oil drain plugs have never been out of the bottom pan I'd be looking for needle bearings stuck to the drain plugs. You might be avoiding some big problems while driving 2 hours if by chance you found stray needle bearings and have a bad rocker arm in this 2007.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:13 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Random84

Get notified of new replies

To 2007 z06 1900 miles, never had oil changed. question

Old 05-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLastCorvette
Sometimes I really wonder what must be going on in some folks mind. Pay $80k for a vehicle and not spend less than a "Hundred Bucks" on oil.

Personally I would not drive her one stinking mile. Would load her up on a car hauler and take her home where I would change ALL fluids including antifreeze, brake fluid, pwr str fluid.

I would drain the engine over night to get as much of the old oil out as possible. Then would run her a couple hundred miles, and re-change the oil.

Would also install NEW Battery;

But that's just me, others likely see it differently...
Agreed, and replace tires before driving it too.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:06 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Also check tires. Probably plan on replacing tires right away.

I would swap all the fluids ASAP, and swap gas out ASAP if it has been sitting for 6+ months without fresh gas.

I've seen more issues with super low mileage cars sitting awhile than high mileage cars that are well maintained. Just be aware of what you are getting and what it could need.

Originally Posted by MyLastCorvette
Sometimes I really wonder what must be going on in some folks mind. Pay $80k for a vehicle and not spend less than a "Hundred Bucks" on oil.

Personally I would not drive her one stinking mile. Would load her up on a car hauler and take her home where I would change ALL fluids including antifreeze, brake fluid, pwr str fluid.

I would drain the engine over night to get as much of the old oil out as possible. Then would run her a couple hundred miles, and re-change the oil.

Would also install NEW Battery;

But that's just me, others likely see it differently...

solid advice here...
Old 05-28-2015, 06:38 AM
RPOL36
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE:

Went and bought the car it was as the owner said "perfect condition". In the owners defense he was 77 and had thought he was doing the right thing as I mentioned the oil he said "no I had never changed it" I knew this before hand but in person he said "it always looked brand new clear on the dipstick didn't see the need"

he said he put around 1k miles on it between 07-08 and decided he was going to drive it more and most of the other miles came in 11-12 then it sat again.

I actually went ahead and drove the car home and then changed it myself with amsoil and filter.

I didn't experience any issues car drives out great I didn't run the car hard but the drive was closer to 3hrs. Oil came out golden but pretty clear looking.

Since it should have been factory filled with full synthetic I'm going to venture to say no harm has been done to the car but it's got fresh amsoil in it now.

next step....heads to get checked and re-worked!

Last edited by RPOL36; 05-28-2015 at 06:41 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] 2007 z06 1900 miles, never had oil changed. question