Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] clutch clunk with car on but not off

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 01:52 AM
RM497Z06
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default clutch clunk with car on but not off

Bear with me as this is my first post...ever.
This question is regarding a 2009 Z06.

After our last Autocross I noticed a clunk in stop and go Denver traffic when releasing the clutch.
Sounded and felt like a lose differential. I isolated the issue to the clutch I thought so checked out the forum and as the fluid was dirty thought I'd change it using the Ranger method....Thanks Ranger.

Anyway, I removed the fluid, added new, remembered to put the cap back on, and pumped the clutch. I repeated several times. Just to make sure I was circulating the fluid I started the car and when I pressed and then released the clutch peddle the clunk was there (car was in neutral). I could hear it and lightly feel it, so thought it might be a linkage issue???

I turned the car off and continued to pump the clutch. On the first pump and release of the clutch the clunk happened. But only on the first release of the peddle, then no more clunk. That seemed weird so I tried to replicate and sure enough when pumping the clutch with the car off no clunk, but when the car is on there is, and one but only one release of the clutch after the car is off.

I've read posts on the switch, but wouldn't think one would be able to hear and feel a switch being activated or axle bolts if in nuetral. It doesn't seem right that it would be a differential if it happening when the car is in neutral as no torque. And linkage can't be right if that is mechanical as it should happen if car is on or off. I first noticed it in first gear most of time and a lesser clunk when shifting to second, but then changing the fluid found it when the car is running in neutral but not happening when the car is off and clutch is pumped.

Any suggestions or direction as to what to check next would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 05-30-2015, 08:43 AM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

Default Clunk

Sounds like the normal throw out bearing. All manual betts do it from time to time. Some more and louder then others
Old 05-30-2015, 09:54 AM
RM497Z06
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c5racr1
Sounds like the normal throw out bearing. All manual betts do it from time to time. Some more and louder then others

Thanks c5racr1, I'll take a look at that, much appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To clutch clunk with car on but not off

Quick Reply: [Z06] clutch clunk with car on but not off