Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Another exploding LS7

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 08:01 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock36
I think this point is missed on a lot of people who I sense assume all Z06 model years are somewhat homogenous in terms of production.

Nearly 80% of all Z06s (not counting 427 verts) were built before the 2009 MY, that is huge in terms of real life owners who have to decide how to manage the valvetrain issues... or not.
Very true but if we can hold their feet to the fire at least for 4 years of production it is better then letting them off doing absolutely nothing.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:35 PM
Johns07Z
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Very true but if we can hold their feet to the fire at least for 4 years of production it is better then letting them off doing absolutely nothing.
thanks AZDAN, interesting to hear about the class action and the production numbers as well, so am I completely wasting my time either going to the dealer (figured should be the first stop) and then letter writing? sounds like it.
B4: I for one have appreciated yours and other's condolences. Should have or not, it does still really suck to be stuck with a 5 figure repair.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Soul Reaper
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the expected track life of motors similar to these? 16 seems to be nearing a rebuild or atleast a complete inspection.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:07 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Johns07Z
thanks AZDAN, interesting to hear about the class action and the production numbers as well, so am I completely wasting my time either going to the dealer (figured should be the first stop) and then letter writing? sounds like it.
B4: I for one have appreciated yours and other's condolences. Should have or not, it does still really suck to be stuck with a 5 figure repair.
Unfortunately the 5 figure repair is a reality, make sure when you rebuild it to get a good set of rebuilt heads from American Heritage Performance, I did a ton of homework and their fix seems to be the best in my opinion
Old 06-09-2015, 12:38 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
There is no harm in asking GM if they will cover it. I would start by writing a letter to the CEO since a dealer probably may not forward your request due to the car being so far out of warranty.

Let us know what caused the failure. Based on what you have said so far it doesn't necessarily have to be due to a valve guide issue.

How fast were you going in the Esses and at which turn were you when it popped? That is a tricky place to have an engine let loose and spill oil all over the surface.

Mine let go just about where the start/finish flag station is on the front straight about 4 years ago with the engine turning about 6800 rpm. It popped at about 24K miles. Based on the dealer's tear down to find the cause it definitely looked like a dropped exhaust valve head but the guides were not checked and there is no way to know for sure the guides caused the problem. I had about 4K track miles on my engine and it could have just as easily been a weakened valve spring that allowed the valve to float at 6800 rpm and hit the piston Vs anything else.

Bill
I've started my letter to Ms. Barra, but probably should also talk with the dealer 1st? not sure. sorry to hear about yours and at least mine was at a lower speed. I was coming out of turn 2 probably about 80-85in 3rd and I'm guessing 4k- 4500 RPM ? and was bleeding on the throttle and transitioning into turn 3 when it lost power, then popped. I pulled offline outside of 3 and came to a stop just before the flag station between 3 and 4. only 1 car got caught in the oil slick and suffered minor damage in the wall. I've got 16 days at the Glen now and a couple days a the little Englishtown road course. As one poster mentioned, it did have 9k miles on it when I bought it, but no rock chips at the telltale rear brake inlet form track days, was kept covered in the garage and still looked and smelled new, FTIW. But sure, buyer beware. I've put the remaining 16,500 on it myself, changing oil after every track day etc. and had no warnings or sounds or oil use.
When do you think you'll get a chance to open it up and see what happened?
Old 06-09-2015, 02:05 AM
richie427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, add me to the list of the LS7 owners who blew up a 427 I had checked the posts about the valve guide issue and had surmised (incorrectly) a couple years ago when I bought my 07 with 9k miles on it. It currently has 23k miles and I almost completed my 16 track day at Watkins Glen since 2012 when I bought the car. I trailered the car there for the first time - fortunately - and no one was injured from the resulting oil slick on the track between turns 2 and 3 in the Esses. I was running about 4k-4500 RPM, I'm guessing and I lost power, heard a loud pop and saw some debris and white smoke coming out of both sides of the hood. I would say we could call this a catastrophic failure as the preliminary investigation has revealed the front left corner of the block is gone. Here's a view from below. The first suspect is the valve guides, but I'll be looking deeper this weekend. I was 2-1/2 laps into the last session of the 2 day event and feel bad for the rest of the drivers in the group who lost the last 15-20 mins of the session and the M3 driver caught in the slick who crunched the wall with his rear bumper. Of course up until then, I was having a great time and the car was flawless. I had no indications prior. I'll be digging up the old posts on the valve guide issues and planning my next steps...anyone who tracks these beasts needs to check those valve guides!
Sorry,if I'am sound in like a bitch, but how the hell.
Did you not see any power loss with run-n-, at a track, that was an still is 1 of the best MOTOR CROSS tracks out on the west coast.
an you were at a 2 day party, Hell the last time i saw a 2 day event on the east coast, i was run-in- sweeper, 4 the 1st time,with ridge riders mc. Hell you talk-in- about a party with a mixed blood of people. waterlooe village was a place that was, an now is no more thanks to out side ers, just like the american pharaoh horse , won the 38 year old race with out a try. (3 TIMES) hell when i was a little tot did not even have a clue about horse race-in- went to a track with my xes family the mfer won,were your best, pictures are commin.:crazy2 :
Old 06-09-2015, 05:57 AM
CB1953
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by richie427
Sorry,if I'am sound in like a bitch, but how the hell.
Did you not see any power loss with run-n-, at a track, that was an still is 1 of the best MOTOR CROSS tracks out on the west coast.
an you were at a 2 day party, Hell the last time i saw a 2 day event on the east coast, i was run-in- sweeper, 4 the 1st time,with ridge riders mc. Hell you talk-in- about a party with a mixed blood of people. waterlooe village was a place that was, an now is no more thanks to out side ers, just like the american pharaoh horse , won the 38 year old race with out a try. (3 TIMES) hell when i was a little tot did not even have a clue about horse race-in- went to a track with my xes family the mfer won,were your best, pictures are commin.:crazy2 :
...anxiously awaiting the English translation.....
Old 06-09-2015, 09:50 AM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by CB1953
And sober translation as well
Old 06-09-2015, 09:54 AM
CB1953
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
Old 06-09-2015, 11:17 AM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

LOL. Don't drink and drive...or post.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:49 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Thanks for quoting his post so I can see it. He's been on my ignore list for a long time and you just validated my decision.
Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
Exactly.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:01 PM
CB1953
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Les
Thanks for quoting his post so I can see it. He's been on my ignore list for a long time and you just validated my decision.

Exactly.
Hey...you go far enough back....remember Louie T? I was his official translator. His posts were hilarious....
Old 06-09-2015, 12:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I've started my letter to Ms. Barra, but probably should also talk with the dealer 1st? not sure. sorry to hear about yours and at least mine was at a lower speed. I was coming out of turn 2 probably about 80-85in 3rd and I'm guessing 4k- 4500 RPM ? and was bleeding on the throttle and transitioning into turn 3 when it lost power, then popped. I pulled offline outside of 3 and came to a stop just before the flag station between 3 and 4. only 1 car got caught in the oil slick and suffered minor damage in the wall. I've got 16 days at the Glen now and a couple days a the little Englishtown road course. As one poster mentioned, it did have 9k miles on it when I bought it, but no rock chips at the telltale rear brake inlet form track days, was kept covered in the garage and still looked and smelled new, FTIW. But sure, buyer beware. I've put the remaining 16,500 on it myself, changing oil after every track day etc. and had no warnings or sounds or oil use.
It won't hurt to involve the dealer especially if you have let them do work on the car so they know you and the car.

Once you resolve the engine replacement and get back to the Glen I suggest you do what I do in the Esses and what I tell my students to do. As you come out of T1 accelerate quickly in 3rd gear and shift to 4th before you get to the T2 (beginning of Esses) turn in point. This will have you apexing the turn in the high 90s low triple digit speeds (if you are on GY EMTs they can easily handle 100+ speed at the apex). If you are on the correct line you should be very close to wide open throttle as you exit T2 for T3 (I always had an issue with my C6Z trying to go through 3 at WOT since the backend wanted to walk right on me as I crested the hill, some guys with the right setup and the right size and material gonads can do it wide open). This will put you into the entrance to T4 at 120 to 125 and exiting it at around 140 to 143.

Using 3rd gear entering the Esses limits your speed since you can only get 123 mph peak in the gear and breathing off the throttle to correct a yaw problem (in T2/T3) can get problematic when you are in 3rd since the car reacts badly due to the torque change. Shifting to 4th is possible in the short straight from T3 to T4 but that can still leave you short on speed. A lot of guys shift to 5th in that straight. I keep mine in 4th and peak out in the upper 150s (shift light is blinking) right at the bus stop braking point. The guys who use 5th may get 5 or so more mph.

Bill
Old 06-09-2015, 08:30 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Fcky in SORRY, What the **** do you think after running WGLEN.Does it stand out that z-06 has no *****. I'll try not to get in to that much. Had 2 many beers. Ok well why would u ask about the heads, STOCK,,,,sorry never read after the 1fs post.
Damn man... While the rest of us need to check our guides periodically, you may need to have your liver checked.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:48 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Damn man... While the rest of us need to check our guides periodically, you may need to have your liver checked.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:07 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Hey...you go far enough back....remember Louie T? I was his official translator. His posts were hilarious....
I may have seen his posts at some point but the name isn't ringing a bell. Thumbs up to you if you can translate gibberish. I'm very good at literal interpretation but when words and thoughts get scrambled and fragmented I don't have a chance.
Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Old 06-10-2015, 05:55 AM
Johns07Z
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It won't hurt to involve the dealer especially if you have let them do work on the car so they know you and the car.

Once you resolve the engine replacement and get back to the Glen I suggest you do what I do in the Esses and what I tell my students to do. As you come out of T1 accelerate quickly in 3rd gear and shift to 4th before you get to the T2 (beginning of Esses) turn in point. This will have you apexing the turn in the high 90s low triple digit speeds (if you are on GY EMTs they can easily handle 100+ speed at the apex). If you are on the correct line you should be very close to wide open throttle as you exit T2 for T3 (I always had an issue with my C6Z trying to go through 3 at WOT since the backend wanted to walk right on me as I crested the hill, some guys with the right setup and the right size and material gonads can do it wide open). This will put you into the entrance to T4 at 120 to 125 and exiting it at around 140 to 143.

Using 3rd gear entering the Esses limits your speed since you can only get 123 mph peak in the gear and breathing off the throttle to correct a yaw problem (in T2/T3) can get problematic when you are in 3rd since the car reacts badly due to the torque change. Shifting to 4th is possible in the short straight from T3 to T4 but that can still leave you short on speed. A lot of guys shift to 5th in that straight. I keep mine in 4th and peak out in the upper 150s (shift light is blinking) right at the bus stop braking point. The guys who use 5th may get 5 or so more mph.

Bill
Thanks Bill (and everyone) for the info. I'll follow through with the letters and the dealer since the replacement schedule gets pushed out a long way without help from GM or the lottery (which may be better odds) Once I have a plan and get it pulled apart I will certainly post what I find. Just don't want to have a pile of parts then have GM say, "Well we would have helped but you already tore it open so..."

Bob Henderson was my instructor and taught the same thing - signed me off and this was my first solo run of this event. But these are good numbers for me to have - appreciate it. Wish I had started up there before you left I had missed completing the shift before T2 so was going to ease off in T4. I had been running the whole thing in 4th until this year (April event and this one) and only really missed being in 3rd at the toe of the boot. On the plus side, Bob had his C7Z and the 2 afternoon sessions finally dried out after 1.5 days of rain and mist, so i got a few hot laps in that baby. Holy cow, what a ride! That car and he really go, my cheeks were sore from the permanent grin! I was inspired and so the next 2 -1/3 laps in my own car with my Conti G5000's were some of the best I've had! right up until .... I actually have the same photo as your avatar and came to rest just in front of that spot.
But I will be back, the addiction is too strong...

Last edited by Johns07Z; 06-10-2015 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Add content

Get notified of new replies

To Another exploding LS7

Old 06-10-2015, 10:51 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

sorry,if i'am sound in like a bitch, but how the hell.
Did you not see any power loss with run-n-, at a track, that was an still is 1 of the best motor cross tracks out on the west coast.
An you were at a 2 day party, hell the last time i saw a 2 day event on the east coast, i was run-in- sweeper, 4 the 1st time,with ridge riders mc. Hell you talk-in- about a party with a mixed blood of people. Waterlooe village was a place that was, an now is no more thanks to out side ers, just like the american pharaoh horse , won the 38 year old race with out a try. (3 times) hell when i was a little tot did not even have a clue about horse race-in- went to a track with my xes family the mfer won,were your best, pictures are commin.:crazy2 :
wow
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2016, 11:50 AM
Johns07Z
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Minkster
When do you think you'll get a chance to open it up and see what happened?
Well guys, it's been a long while, two moves and a lot of time and money has gone by since I last posted, but I'm back and so is the Z! Long story but dealer only offered to help with a slightly discounted (from retail) motor price. My letters to the GM and Chevy brass did get me a phone call which after about 10 minutes ended with him telling me they can only help out in the few $100 items and that i needed to talk to the Customer Care rep (I think that was it) at my dealer. That ends up being the Service manager at my dealer who I already had a good discussion with (see above) But I hooked up with a great mechanic (Thanks Frank at Frankenspeed in White Plains, NY) who turned me on to Karl Chevy Performance Parts (Thanks Adam!) in Ankeny, Iowa who gave me a great price and customer service on a new LS7. With all new belts and hoses, oil cooler, as well as the Lingenfelter oil reservoir upgrade, I'm back on the streets and hopefully soon the track as well. Frank, who typically works on older muscle cars, did me a favor and put my baby back together and its good as new, probably better than new.

Looking at the old motor, number one cylinder's exhaust valve appears to have stuck and I have several pieces of it and the piston along with other chunks of aluminum block as souvenirs.

My brother has a nearly identical silver 07 Z and attended the GT Tire NCM event that we were going to share in August last year. Day two saw his motor grenade as well, After his own research and my suggestion, Karl Chevy supplied another new LS7 to our family last year.

Still hoping to hear something on the class action suit, but neither of us are holding our breath! I'll get some photos downloaded and add to the post, but wanted to answer back.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:10 PM
Vettes4life11
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperchargedTundra
I can only imagine these posts are going to be more and more common as we get into summer...

I have my heads boxed up going out to AH this week

LS7
Mine are being delivered next week from AHR, and hope install is quick.
Do not track car and it has 28k on it but still do not like stressing over it
Sucks to spend 4k on a car that should not need it but oh well.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Another exploding LS7