Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] what shocks to use for a better ride????

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 09:05 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 57 Posts

Default what shocks to use for a better ride????

Yes, I hear you say, why buy a Z06 if it's softer ride you want.

Well, I love the total package, but roads down here in Australia are not the greatest, and I darn near need to wear a kidney belt driving this thing sometimes. Maybe getting too old for this???, no perish the thought.

My old C5 rode real nice, and if I can achieve something similar whilst maintaining all other handling features ( and perhaps, not so skittish ), I'd be like a puppy with two tails.

Any words of wisdom out there, or am I dreaming again?

Thanks
Ross
Old 06-28-2015, 09:44 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Viking shocks work great. Fully adjustable. Can be super soft and smooth, or harsher than stock. Just set the dials. Price is good too.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:48 AM
speedy77
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

DRM Bilstein Shocks !! DRM re-works them. I put em on my 06Z & love the ride. Took away the jitters !!
Do a search and you'll find millions of happy customers
Old 06-28-2015, 12:34 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

I had the DRM bilsteins and Vikings are much better IMO.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:00 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

The single largest ride improvement comes from tires! Change out the OEM Goodyear runflats to a set of almost any conventional tire in the proper size and you will think you are in a different car. Continentals are on sale for a great price here at Tire Rack. Michelin Super Sports are the best, but a little pricey.

I've not tried the Viking shocks but have heard good thinks about them. I have tried off the shelf Bilstein Sports and conventional tires and it will ride great.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:09 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Don't get me wrong, bilsteins are great, and I enjoyed them. They ride nice and handle nice. But for a little more you can get an adjust shock that can be set to handle, drag race, or ride like a caddy. You can go super soft/smooth, or hard as a rock. To me that is worth the $150 extra. Plus they are really nice aluminum construction.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:20 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by speedy77
DRM Bilstein Shocks !! DRM re-works them. I put em on my 06Z & love the ride. Took away the jitters !!
Do a search and you'll find millions of happy customers
Yes, I've done a search previously, and had all but to pull the trigger on some DRM's, then I came across a forum member trying to swap these DRM's out and go back to stock for a softer ride.

Do you feel the DRM's give a softer ride?????
I'd appreciate any input from folk who have installed these DRM's
Thanks
Old 06-28-2015, 08:25 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vito.A
The single largest ride improvement comes from tires! Change out the OEM Goodyear runflats to a set of almost any conventional tire in the proper size and you will think you are in a different car. Continentals are on sale for a great price here at Tire Rack. Michelin Super Sports are the best, but a little pricey.

I've not tried the Viking shocks but have heard good thinks about them. I have tried off the shelf Bilstein Sports and conventional tires and it will ride great.
Yes, thanks tyres are on the list as well.
Going to ditch the runflats and go with what you suggest.
Figuring on changing out the shocks as well for best outcome.
Thanks
Old 06-28-2015, 08:34 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Unreal
Don't get me wrong, bilsteins are great, and I enjoyed them. They ride nice and handle nice. But for a little more you can get an adjust shock that can be set to handle, drag race, or ride like a caddy. You can go super soft/smooth, or hard as a rock. To me that is worth the $150 extra. Plus they are really nice aluminum construction.
Unreal, good to hear from you.
Vikings:- that's a new one,not heard of them. Riding like a Caddy would be nice, but I'd settle for somewhere in between.

OK, I'll research these. Aluminium construction that look real nice would be a bonus on my project car also, Of course being adjustable would help, thou I do tend to get myself in trouble trying to sort my Phadt racing coilovers out on my other project vette.

Thanks Unreal
Old 06-28-2015, 11:13 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Just two *****, and comes with a guide. They ride much better than the DRMs when set to "comfort" settings and can be full out track stiff if needed. Isn't hard to adjust 2 dials.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:12 PM
speedy77
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aussieross01
Yes, I've done a search previously, and had all but to pull the trigger on some DRM's, then I came across a forum member trying to swap these DRM's out and go back to stock for a softer ride.

Do you feel the DRM's give a softer ride?????
I'd appreciate any input from folk who have installed these DRM's
Thanks
DRM's definitely gave a smoother ride, not sure what happened with the other poster claiming he went back to stock?
As stated tires are important also, I went with Nitto Invos 19/20" combo and couldn't be happier (I carry a good air compressor/patch kit) . Looks better & rides better. Between the combo of shocks & tires I think it's the best for casual driving and the occasional jump on it !! GL
Old 06-29-2015, 08:16 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by speedy77
DRM's definitely gave a smoother ride, not sure what happened with the other poster claiming he went back to stock?
As stated tires are important also, I went with Nitto Invos 19/20" combo and couldn't be happier (I carry a good air compressor/patch kit) . Looks better & rides better. Between the combo of shocks & tires I think it's the best for casual driving and the occasional jump on it !! GL
Reading past post from Unreal, he also found the DRM's harsh, hence one of the reasons the change to Vikings.
We have some seriously bad roads down here, and I'm done with these stad shocks.
Duly noted on the tyres, and is in the pipeline also.
Thanks for the input
Old 06-30-2015, 09:39 AM
LMBTom
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got the DRMs. They give a slightly smoother ride than stock (which isn't much) They're meant for racing, so look elsewhere if you need a smooth ride.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:00 PM
Cha_Cha
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe I don't fully understand but wouldn't replacing the OEM shocks eliminate the magnetic ride?
Old 06-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Zr1 have mag ride, and later model z06s with z07 option could get it, but most Z06s have crappy normal shocks.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:50 PM
speedy77
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LMBTom
I've got the DRMs. They give a slightly smoother ride than stock (which isn't much) They're meant for racing, so look elsewhere if you need a smooth ride.
For me the DRM's got rid of the jittery/jarring rearend bounce going over studder bumps. I have some really ruff train tracks near me I go over and they definitly helped to smooth out.
Now does the DRM's make the Z feel like a Caddy....no but you don't want that either. Is there a gigantic difference....no but it's much better. I have no experience with Viking shocks to give a comparison.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:36 PM
eshuber
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with the OP - the Z rides hard - but I'm old(73). Changing to non-runflats did help.
THanks for the Viking shock tip

Get notified of new replies

To what shocks to use for a better ride????

Old 07-02-2015, 05:12 AM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eshuber
I agree with the OP - the Z rides hard - but I'm old(73). Changing to non-runflats did help.
THanks for the Viking shock tip
Well, I'm 63, and had Corvettes most of my adult life, and the C6 Z06 is sure one firm ride. It's by far the hardest riding vette I've ever had, but hey, that's what it is, but it is also the fastest, and the most fun.

I too, like the idea of the Vikings, but I'm not keen on doing all this adjusting. As stated before, I can't seem to get it right with my coilovers on my other project vette.
Prefer to just install and leave, and have the perfect shock:- I'm dreaming again, right???
Old 07-02-2015, 08:20 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by aussieross01
Well, I'm 63, and had Corvettes most of my adult life, and the C6 Z06 is sure one firm ride. It's by far the hardest riding vette I've ever had, but hey, that's what it is, but it is also the fastest, and the most fun.

I too, like the idea of the Vikings, but I'm not keen on doing all this adjusting. As stated before, I can't seem to get it right with my coilovers on my other project vette.
Prefer to just install and leave, and have the perfect shock:- I'm dreaming again, right???
It is two *****. Want it comfortable, set it to 0C/5R. Done. Takes less than a minute to adjust all 4 if you want them stiffer.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:07 AM
jimbob8915
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Is the Viking shock set the same for base Corvettes and Z06's?

Quick Reply: [Z06] what shocks to use for a better ride????