Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Don't want to do heads twice...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 02:22 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Default Don't want to do heads twice...

Is there a definitive test that can be done to know if my heads were not built properly so I don't have to repeatedly remove them and check for oversized (or misshaped) guide openings?

Guide angle? Guide material? Guide length? Valve wall thickness? etc.

2010 with 9k miles
Old 06-29-2015, 02:42 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
Is there a definitive test that can be done to know if my heads were not built properly so I don't have to repeatedly remove them and check for oversized (or misshaped) guide openings?

Guide angle? Guide material? Guide length? Valve wall thickness? etc.

2010 with 9k miles
Not really, and no, you do NOT need to remove the heads to check to see if your guides are on the road to ruin. If they are really bad, you don't even need to remove the springs, but if you want to do it "right", you just need to remove the spring (and possibly seal, but I wouldn't bother - you can easily overcome the resistance of the seal lip).

The bottom line here - checking at 10K mile intervals, you will either have so little fore / aft movement it is barely detectable by hand, or they will clearly rock back and forth (and the final validation of this is they will show insignificant movement in the left to right directions).
Old 06-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Not really, and no, you do NOT need to remove the heads to check to see if your guides are on the road to ruin. If they are really bad, you don't even need to remove the springs, but if you want to do it "right", you just need to remove the spring (and possibly seal, but I wouldn't bother - you can easily overcome the resistance of the seal lip).

The bottom line here - checking at 10K mile intervals, you will either have so little fore / aft movement it is barely detectable by hand, or they will clearly rock back and forth (and the final validation of this is they will show insignificant movement in the left to right directions).
This sounds like the wiggle test. This test was invalidated by GM (and others).
Old 06-29-2015, 02:59 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Oh yeah.. And we care about THEIR opinion? Really? The same group that offered zero new information via Tadge, and instead thought it was a great idea to simply move the "out of spec" dimensions forward? Trust me - on this issue, you need to educate yourself and take matters into your own hands - relying on GM to cover you is not a reasonable option (if you care about keeping the original motor in your car anyway - some people with warranties don't).

Trust me (and everyone else that has applied logic and common-sense to this issue) - If you use the "wiggle test" appropriately, as a go / no-go gauge, you'll be fine.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:18 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Oh yeah.. And we care about THEIR opinion? Really? The same group that offered zero new information via Tadge, and instead thought it was a great idea to simply move the "out of spec" dimensions forward? Trust me - on this issue, you need to educate yourself and take matters into your own hands - relying on GM to cover you is not a reasonable option (if you care about keeping the original motor in your car anyway - some people with warranties don't).

Trust me (and everyone else that has applied logic and common-sense to this issue) - If you use the "wiggle test" appropriately, as a go / no-go gauge, you'll be fine.

I thought I read Katech also stated that the wiggle test was inaccurate. It makes me sick to think that shops have been recommending head replacements for a test that was "inaccurate at best" according to the most recent data. That includes GM dealers.

I do appreciate the input and your willingness to help but there is so much misinformation on this topic that when someone says "trust me" I get an uneasy feeling. Too many untrustworthy people use that phrase (no offense to you, as I have no reason to distrust you specifically).

I was hoping I could remove the head and take measurements of the guides to know if replacing them is my only long term fix for the problem, regardless of the current shape and size of the inside of the guide.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:44 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

When my heads were making excessively loud valvetrain noise at 2k rpm, I did a wiggle test. I wiggled each of my valves, #4 intake was moving the most. Once WCCH did a guide measure, they confirmed the #4 intake was indeed the furthest out of spec.

Not exactly definitive proof of the "wiggle", but valid enough to know if something is wrong. AFAIK, the only two methods are wiggle, or guide measure after removing and disassembling the heads.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:39 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

GM just said they would not accept wiggle test measurements as proof that the guides are out of spec. But if your guides are so far out of spec that you can easily wiggle them with plenty of play, then that should be proof enough that further inspection/fixing is in order.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:27 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

I thought I read Katech also stated that the wiggle test was inaccurate. It makes me sick to think that shops have been recommending head replacements for a test that was "inaccurate at best" according to the most recent data. That includes GM dealers.

I do appreciate the input and your willingness to help but there is so much misinformation on this topic that when someone says "trust me" I get an uneasy feeling. Too many untrustworthy people use that phrase (no offense to you, as I have no reason to distrust you specifically).

I was hoping I could remove the head and take measurements of the guides to know if replacing them is my only long term fix for the problem, regardless of the current shape and size of the inside of the guide.
The wiggle test is probably is inaccurate, but if you can move the valve back and forth in the guide, it's probably bad.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:41 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

My dealer did the wiggle test and found .008. They replaced my heads. The GM adjuster came out and measured my old heads and verified the wiggle test was as accurate. There are two reasons why GM would invalidate the wiggle test, 1) some dealers were doing it inaccurately and making false warranty claims; and/or 2) damage control from legit warranty claims.

Go read Hib's article about the wiggle test.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:42 AM
Tech
Safety Car

A problem with the wiggle test is, the guide must already be deteriorating to know if you have a defective head. My engine only has 9k miles on it and I want to know that if my head checks out now, that I don't need to check it in another 10k miles.

I suppose the problem is that nobody has irrefutably determined what is actually wrong with the valves/guides. We just know that some heads exhibit premature wear that ultimately can end in disaster. Here we are 10 years since the LS7 head was born and we're still throwing parts at something 'cause nobody can figure out why they are failing. I've read oiling issues, guide concentricity, valve construction, and vague explanations like "manufacturing defect". It's amazing to me that nobody has put their finger on the issue. Maybe too many aftermarket companies have a vested interest in the FUD, and GM doesn't want to admit a mistake. :/
Old 06-30-2015, 07:05 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,335 Likes on 775 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Did you read what Darrin Morgan says about this issue and what he does about it? IMO he has nailed it.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:13 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BearZ06
Did you read what Darrin Morgan says about this issue and what he does about it? IMO he has nailed it.
do you have the link?
Old 07-01-2015, 06:39 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,335 Likes on 775 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-morgan-4.html

post #65
Old 07-01-2015, 11:39 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

If you never want to worry about the heads again, I would sell the car. High performance cars, and especially this one need more maintenance, and it looks like guides and head freshening every 20-30k miles may just be part of owning a ls7. At least checking and going from there.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:57 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

This
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2015, 02:57 PM
08mojo
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

A problem with the wiggle test is, the guide must already be deteriorating to know if you have a defective head. My engine only has 9k miles on it and I want to know that if my head checks out now, that I don't need to check it in another 10k miles.

I suppose the problem is that nobody has irrefutably determined what is actually wrong with the valves/guides. We just know that some heads exhibit premature wear that ultimately can end in disaster. Here we are 10 years since the LS7 head was born and we're still throwing parts at something 'cause nobody can figure out why they are failing. I've read oiling issues, guide concentricity, valve construction, and vague explanations like "manufacturing defect". It's amazing to me that nobody has put their finger on the issue. Maybe too many aftermarket companies have a vested interest in the FUD, and GM doesn't want to admit a mistake. :/

You've pretty much listed all the ways to check the guide to valve clearance: wiggle test or remove the head. The wiggle test is a perfectly fine 'go' or 'no go' gauge.

I'd be checking the guides in my LS7 immediately, regardless of miles, if I were you. My 2008 had 6,300 miles on it when I checked the guides: they were out of spec!
Old 07-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Not all LS7 engines/heads experience the same premature wear, so your comment to "sell the car" seems drastic. GM had a vested interest in making sure a wide-spread problem like this (allegedly) was fixed, as they were on the hook for warranty claims.

Since when did guides become a "wear and tear" item for unmodified engines? 7k RPM is rather common on modified LS1-LS6s.

Get notified of new replies

To Don't want to do heads twice...

Old 07-01-2015, 04:19 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Became common when LS7s came out. GM has very little interest because the cost to fix it far exceeds what they would pay in warranty. Most cars will hit the time limit on the 5 year warranty before they get enough miles to have an issue. Hell GM let how many people die over a $2 switch so you really think they care about spending way more on fixing reliability of an out of production motor?

Either way, guides wear and need to be replaced. So what is your goal? Saying do heads once and never again isn't realistic with any motor. So is it replace guides/valve job/etc every 50k? 100k? 150k? 250k?
Old 07-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Unreal
Became common when LS7s came out. GM has very little interest because the cost to fix it far exceeds what they would pay in warranty. Most cars will hit the time limit on the 5 year warranty before they get enough miles to have an issue. Hell GM let how many people die over a $2 switch so you really think they care about spending way more on fixing reliability of an out of production motor?

Either way, guides wear and need to be replaced. So what is your goal? Saying do heads once and never again isn't realistic with any motor. So is it replace guides/valve job/etc every 5k? 10k? 15k? 25k?
..You have one too many zeros in your post - fixed it!
Old 07-01-2015, 07:19 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

..You have one too many zeros in your post - fixed it!
Sadly I agree with you. I don't think anyone is going to get 100k miles out of a set of ls7 heads.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Don't want to do heads twice...