Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Any damage from loosening sealed oil plug ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 09:30 AM
Chiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any damage from loosening sealed oil plug ?

I took car to a local shop to get a oil change and I cought the guy doing the oil change tryng to loosen up the sealed oil plug on top of the valve cover with a big adjustable wrench ., I managed to stop him rite wen he had just got to turn it a little bit .., long story short I explained how to do it properly and he completed the oil change ..,anyways this was about 8 k miles ago ., or maybe 12k and I havnt experienced any issues wat so ever since ., car runs soild
Old 06-30-2015, 09:58 AM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Chiff
I took car to a local shop to get a oil change and I cought the guy doing the oil change tryng to loosen up the sealed oil plug on top of the valve cover with a big adjustable wrench ., I managed to stop him rite wen he had just got to turn it a little bit .., long story short I explained how to do it properly and he completed the oil change ..,anyways this was about 8 k miles ago ., or maybe 12k and I havnt experienced any issues wat so ever since ., car runs soild
There are little plastic locking tabs on the inside of that cap, which are supposed to prevent it from being loosened. I guess it's possible that those little broken pieces could get caught in a oil passage or ground up in the oil pump. But as often as you hear about this mishap, I don't think there is much evidence that it has actually contributed to any failure.

Same thing happened to me, by the dealer, during/after having my heads replaced.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:11 PM
Chiff
Instructor

Originally Posted by erick_e
There are little plastic locking tabs on the inside of that cap, which are supposed to prevent it from being loosened. I guess it's possible that those little broken pieces could get caught in a oil passage or ground up in the oil pump. But as often as you hear about this mishap, I don't think there is much evidence that it has actually contributed to any failure.

Same thing happened to me, by the dealer, during/after having my heads replaced.
Have you experienced any issues and did yu take yur valve cover off to check it ?
Old 06-30-2015, 06:10 PM
Z06pete
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea, The same thing happened to me on my 2007 Z06. The shop mechanic had completely taken off the cap with his bare hands, No tools. I haven't had any trouble since this mishap. I don't worry any more since I've put more than a thousand miles since.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:41 PM
djfury05
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've taken my cap off and inspected it very thoroughly.. there were no indications of any tabs breaking off the cap. Didn't seem like there were any tabs at all to begin with.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:08 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by djfury05
I've taken my cap off and inspected it very thoroughly.. there were no indications of any tabs breaking off the cap. Didn't seem like there were any tabs at all to begin with.

Originally Posted by EVRose
here is what a broken one looks like.

Copied from another thread.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:37 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

A bit off topic here, but if these plugs are not for adding oil, then why are they there?
Old 07-01-2015, 05:42 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Because the rocker cover casting is the same for both wet sump and dry sump engines. The plug (cap) is installed on dry sump engines as opposed to a fill tube on wet sump engines. Wonder how these 'mechanics" check the oil on a d.s.engine.......................
Old 07-01-2015, 07:47 AM
Chiff
Instructor

Thbks for the input and I guess I shoudlnt worry about it anymore I already drove the car for over 6k miles since then so Im just going to leave it in the past ., not much I can do now anyway ., thanks for the input everybody
Old 07-01-2015, 12:48 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3X2
Because the rocker cover casting is the same for both wet sump and dry sump engines. The plug (cap) is installed on dry sump engines as opposed to a fill tube on wet sump engines. Wonder how these 'mechanics" check the oil on a d.s.engine.......................
I thought it was something like that.........you would think that GM would put something a bit more permanent, like a flush plug, instead of a cheap plastic plug that can be pulled out. But I guess saving a few bucks/cents is still paramount, eh?
Old 07-01-2015, 03:44 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

It is permanent. It has to be forced and broken to remove it from the rocker cover. Where do these "mechanics" check the oil level? The fill is right next to the dipstick. Of course, when all else fails, read the manual.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:01 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3X2
It is permanent. It has to be forced and broken to remove it from the rocker cover. Where do these "mechanics" check the oil level? The fill is right next to the dipstick. Of course, when all else fails, read the manual.
Well, it was meant by GM to be permanent, but when it looks exactly like so many other oil fill plugs that are removed to add oil, I have to say that does not look permanent. If it were flush with the valve cover and there is nothing to grab onto, THAT is permanent.

I agree with your RTFM comment tho, especially the dealer techs.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

It is easy to make mistakes. All it takes is a little inattention at a critical time. When I took my car to a shop to have the heads pulled and checked I took Green Painter's tape and wrapped it around the plug. Then I used a felt tip pen to right a very big NO on the tape. The guys at the shop kidded me about it but i said it helps prevent mistakes and they agreed it should hopefully stop somebody who isn't familiar with the car and how to add oil.

Bill
Old 07-04-2015, 02:56 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

This is only one reason why I change my own oil! I suppose that when I amin my 80's, someone will have to help me off the garage floor.....

Get notified of new replies

To Any damage from loosening sealed oil plug ?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Any damage from loosening sealed oil plug ?