Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] An SUV hit my baby! Damage hard to explain...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 06:04 PM
DrtyHarry
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default An SUV hit my baby! Damage hard to explain...HELP!

Long story short, I was stopped behind an SUV that was sitting before some train track. My car was on a small incline. She panicked when dhe heard the bells and whistles of the train comming...so she throws it into reverse and slams back into me. The front end had a huge hole and it was replaced. The hood and right headlamp were pushed in. I still can't get the hood to close properly. So when this happened, because I was on an angle and an incline, when she plowed into me...the front LEFT side of the car lifted off the ground a few inches.

I just came from the shop, and upon inspecting the car...I noticed a 12" crack on the left panel over the ZO6 badge. This was not there before the accident. I took some pics and will post them. The blue marks indicate where the damage is (and was). The crack on the panel runs right along a seam from what the guy at the body shop said. He told me it could of happened when the car was lifted up when it got hit. It runs right along the seam and is going to have the insurance adjuster look at it again. What fo you guys think?

This is where the hole was punched...

This is the crack on the other side of the car...

And this pic just for a better idea where the damage is...

Harry

Last edited by DrtyHarry; 07-03-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:38 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Sometimes less is more. Don't attack the adjuster just yet. simply tell him the crack happened at the same time. He will inspect the car and note it's general condition. He will inspect the crack and will see that it is new. Most likely he will go along with you. I would have the shop inspect the inner fender well AKA wheel house for damage or that it might have become un-bonded from the frame. You may have more damage then what you can see. Ask the adjuster to keep the claim open until the shop is satisfied they have seen all the damage.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:46 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

How did the body shop not notice this?
Old 06-30-2015, 07:39 PM
DrtyHarry
Pro

Hope my insurance company understands...

DH

Last edited by DrtyHarry; 07-03-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:41 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLastCorvette
And one other thing I didn't mention, I would be providing the other insurance adjuster/court, HD video of the crash; Courtesy of my windshield mounted, Hero 3 Black Edition that is transferred between each vehicle before leaving home. AKA the Evidence in living color...

............aaaaaaaaannnnnnddddd........ ..we have a winnah!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:00 PM
RobsVette04
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
How did the body shop not notice this?
How did neither of you notice this?
Old 07-02-2015, 01:08 PM
DrtyHarry
Pro

Originally Posted by MyLastCorvette
The owner was likely in SHOCK.

The body shop was not a top tier repair facility...
It's a great shop...many of us here use him. Found them on this forum, they work on exotics all the time. They did see it but thought it was from another incident, but realized it was new upon closer inspection and that it was fresh. It was dark out and rainy when I first brought it over to them. They really are a top quality shop....I wouldn't go elsewhere.

DH

Last edited by DrtyHarry; 07-03-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:05 PM
BullittEV
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I had almost the exact identical thing happen to my Corvette, and like you...at first I didn't notice the damage on the other side of a car. I noticed it later when my shop pointed it out. I FREAKED! A pick up truck was going in reverse and drove over the right corner of my car, the pressure lifted the left front end of the car up in the air. When I got out to look at the damage, the cars were stuck together (his on top of mine). When he drove forward, the left side of my car that was a few inches in the air, came slamming down and a crack appeared in the same spot as yours.

My body shop told me that the crack happened either when the stress was applied to the car when it was lifted, or when the car dropped back down...and they have seen this damage done before as well. And like yours, the crack was right along the seam. When the car is suspended in the air like that, the whole thing is twisting and putting pressure all over the front end. You should have your shop make sure there is no other damage done to the car. There are no impact signs where the damage is, so I'm sure your insurance company will take care of the damage (if you have good insurance). When my shop explained what happened in detail to the adjuster, they took care of it right away. I wish you the best of luck sir, sorry to hear you have to go thru this. Thank god the driver was not going any faster or else she could of landed on your roof! Happy 4th!
Old 07-03-2015, 06:20 PM
DrtyHarry
Pro

Originally Posted by BullittEV
I had almost the exact identical thing happen to my Corvette, and like you...at first I didn't notice the damage on the other side of a car. I noticed it later when my shop pointed it out. I FREAKED! A pick up truck was going in reverse and drove over the right corner of my car, the pressure lifted the left front end of the car up in the air. When I got out to look at the damage, the cars were stuck together (his on top of mine). When he drove forward, the left side of my car that was a few inches in the air, came slamming down and a crack appeared in the same spot as yours.

My body shop told me that the crack happened either when the stress was applied to the car when it was lifted, or when the car dropped back down...and they have seen this damage done before as well. And like yours, the crack was right along the seam. When the car is suspended in the air like that, the whole thing is twisting and putting pressure all over the front end. You should have your shop make sure there is no other damage done to the car. There are no impact signs where the damage is, so I'm sure your insurance company will take care of the damage (if you have good insurance). When my shop explained what happened in detail to the adjuster, they took care of it right away. I wish you the best of luck sir, sorry to hear you have to go thru this. Thank god the driver was not going any faster or else she could of landed on your roof! Happy 4th!

That sucks!! Glad you are OK though...and you are right, if she was going faster....she could have drove over on top of my car!! I just hope my insurance is as cool as yours. I have Travelers, and they have always been good with me. I will let you know how it goes. Happy Fourth to you to!!

DH
Old 07-03-2015, 07:34 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

if the car recieved so much twisting pressure I would check the frame and motor mounts. have those fenders replaced not repaired. They are carbon fiber and are quite pricey . Not everyone knows how to repair a CF fender. And if the crack goes to the edge it su\houldnt be repaired. Just replaced. I just got mine back. right fender and right door replaced. Also damage to the fender liner that was ok to repair. Adjusters expect to make more than one trip. Checks should be sent to you. Mine were and my body guy didn't expect to be paid until I was happy. Other than the fact that I had an accident it was quite painless. very disturbing but painless.

Clif

Clif
Old 07-04-2015, 12:13 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

My best friend manages a body shop. An excellent one. I hear stuff like this all the time. The great shops have great relationships with the adjusters. The adjusters/insurance companies know they can trust them because they want to preserve their reputations and the insurance companies know their customers are going go ge happy which is good promotion for them as well. Whether it was immediately seen or at second glance, if it is at all possibly related then its going to be written up by the body shop and will be honored by the insurance company. You have a good insurance company and shop. No worries

DH
Old 07-04-2015, 12:28 AM
DrtyHarry
Pro

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
My best friend manages a body shop. An excellent one. I hear stuff like this all the time. The great shops have great relationships with the adjusters. The adjusters/insurance companies know they can trust them because they want to preserve their reputations and the insurance companies know their customers are going go ge happy which is good promotion for them as well. Whether it was immediately seen or at second glance, if it is at all possibly related then its going to be written up by the body shop and will be honored by the insurance company. You have a good insurance company and shop. No worries

DH
I hope so...the shop is top notch and my insurance company has always been good and honest with me in the past. I just hope the adjuster understands that damage like this can be caused byvthe way the accident happened. The crack is right along the fold, it's clear that it was stress related and the crack is fresh/new. Like I said, I just hope the adjuster is experienced and knowledgeable about how this damage happened. I never thought to look on the other side of the car, I noticed it later on at the shop. There really is no other way to explain the damage...so I hope the shop and adjuster can work things out. I'm more than certain my shop looked at the entire car for more damage. Only other thing I'm not happy with is the hood. It functioned normally before the accident. Now, when I open the hood, I have to use my hand to manually trigger the latch in order for it to close. I'm not sure why the insurance didn't cover that repair, butbI told my shop about it and that I was not happy...so he is going to try and talk to the adjuster again about it. It was working fine before. In any case, I just hope the adjuster is an honorable man.

DH
Old 07-04-2015, 02:14 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Well after looking and thinking about this, this has me questioning the fender that is on the car. I have seen new OEM un-finished fenders and do not recall seeing a bonding strip in the fender. This one for sure looks like a popped seam. Any chance this is a aftermarket part that let go?
I'm sure it's still the fault of the accidient, just questioning the part.
Also, who's ins is paying for this? Yours or hers?
Old 07-04-2015, 05:41 PM
DrtyHarry
Pro

Everything is OEM factory original. No aftermarket parts and I bought it brand new. Her insurance accepted responsibility, they even called me up and told me. The police report states shr said she panicked and lost control. She had so much room in front of her, there was no reason to go in reverse and move back. When she went forward off my car, the car did slam down rather hard on the left side, I just never thought to look there as my attention was focused on the front of the car. Like I said, my shop said they have seen damage done to a car the same way before...so hopefully it will all get sorted out. I wish I saw it sooner, but it was raining and it was like a hairline, very hard to see. When I first saw it, it looked like a scratch...nope, a deep crack. I never had the best of luck...I'll let you guys know what happens. I'm going to have to bring the car back to the shop so the adjuster can see it again. It's a pain in the but because I live in NJ and the shop is in NY, so a different adjuster has to go from NY to see it, not the adjuster who came to my house. The one that came to my house was very friendly and sounded like he knew what he was talking about. My shop said the adjuster from NY was also very nice. This was not my fault and everything should be repaired that broke. Whats right is right. It just drives me nuts seeing it this way...I keep all my cars in the best condition possible. Ugh....wish me luck.

Harry

Last edited by DrtyHarry; 07-07-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:31 PM
DrtyHarry
Pro

Adjuster approves! $3600 in damage to replace that panel...OUCH!! I'm so happy I had no problems. Thank God!!!! I was soooo worried.

Harry
Old 07-07-2015, 06:06 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by DrtyHarry
Adjuster approves! $3600 in damage to replace that panel...OUCH!! I'm so happy I had no problems. Thank God!!!! I was soooo worried.

Harry
I tried to calm you down ............

Glad it worked out as predicted.

DH

Get notified of new replies

To An SUV hit my baby! Damage hard to explain...HELP!

Quick Reply: [Z06] An SUV hit my baby! Damage hard to explain...HELP!