Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Proof Readers needed for Ask Tadge Question - Engine Oil Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 05:11 PM
grcor
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Proof Readers needed for Ask Tadge Question - Engine Oil Cooling

I am planning on submitting the following question to Ask Tadge. Can I please get a few people to proof read my question? On the C7 I am not sure if the coolant/oil cooler assembly is used on all C7's or just Z51 and Z06 C7's. I want to make sure I have all my facts straight before I submit the question.

I have now moved this question to the "Ask Tadge" section. If you would like to make a comment please do it there. Here is the link.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-cooling.html
I would like to thank everyone for your input and I have including many of your suggestions.

For many years GM has used radiators with an engine oil cooler inside left tank for trucks, SUVs, and in the Corvette C5 Z06s.This method of cooling engine oil works well and has the added benefit of warming the engine oil during warm up. It also keeps engine room congestion and the number of pluming connection to a minimum.

The 2006 – 2010 Z06s use a large air/oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator. This method of oil cooling works well at the track, but in normal street driving it keeps the oil too cold. On a 50 to 60 degree day, it is common to see oil temperatures in the 130 to 140 range (DIC). The DIC is reading oil temperature from the bottom of the external reservoir, oil then goes to the oil pump ,to the oil filter, to the oil cooler, and then into the engine so the temperature of the oil entering the engine is even colder than what the DIC says.

The 2011-2013 Z06s, 2009-2013 ZR1s, and C7 Z51s/Z06s uses a coolant/oil cooler assembly to cool/warm engine oil. This method needs to have a coolant line plumbed from the block to the cooler assembly and from the cooler assembly to the radiator. The cooler assembly and extra plumbing add to engine room congestion and increased potential of coolant leaks as time goes on.

The current Camaro Z28 uses a bigger oil coolant/oil assembly than the Corvettes.

Can you please tell us the advantages and disadvantages of each oil cooling approach from an engineering point of view and why you changed the oil cooling approach so many times?

Last edited by grcor; 07-04-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:36 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by grcor
I am planning on submitting the following question to Ask Tadge. Can I please get a few people to proof read my question? On the C7 I am not sure if the coolant/oil cooler assembly is used on all C7's or just Z51 and Z06 C7's. I want to make sure I have all my facts straight before I submit the question.

For many years GM has used radiators with an engine oil cooler inside left tank for trucks, SUVs, and in the Corvette C5 Z06’s.This method of cooling engine oil works well and has the added benefit of warming the engine oil during warm up. It also keeps engine room congestion and the number of pluming connection to a minimum.

The 2006 – 2010 Z06’s use a large air/oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator. This method of oil cooling works well at the track, but in normal street driving it keeps the oil too cold. On a 50 to 60 degree day, it is common to see oil temperatures in the 130 to 140 range (DIC). The DIC is reading oil temperature from the bottom of the external reservoir, oil then goes to the oil pump ,to the oil filter, to the oil cooler, and then into the engine so the temperature of the oil entering the engine is even colder than what the DIC says.

The 2011-2013 Z06, 2009-2013 ZR1, and C7 uses a coolant/oil cooler assemble to cool/warm engine oil. This method needs to have a coolant line plumped from the block to the cooler assemble and from the cooler assemble to the radiator. The cooler assemble and extra plumping add to engine room congestion and increased potential of coolant leaks as time goes on.

The current Camaro Z28 uses both a bigger oil coolant/oil assemble than the Corvettes.

Can you please tell us the advantages and disadvantages of each oil cooling approach from an engineering point of view and why you changed the oil cooling approach so many times?
The word is assembly. It is a liquid to liquid heat exchanger.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:58 PM
SublimeZ06
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

For many years GM has used radiators with an engine oil cooler inside left tank for trucks, SUVs, and in the Corvette C5 Z06’s.This method of cooling engine oil works well and has the added benefit of warming the engine oil during warm up. It also keeps engine room congestion and the number of pluming connection to a minimum.

The 2006 – 2010 Z06’s use a large air/oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator. This method of oil cooling works well at the track, but in normal street driving it keeps the oil too cold. On a 50 to 60 degree day, it is common to see oil temperatures in the 130 to 140 range (DIC). The DIC is reading oil temperature from the bottom of the external reservoir, oil then goes to the oil pump ,to the oil filter, to the oil cooler, and then into the engine so the temperature of the oil entering the engine is even colder than what the DIC says.

The 2011-2013 Z06, 2009-2013 ZR1, and C7 uses a coolant/oil cooler assemble to cool/warm engine oil. This method needs to have a coolant line plumped from the block to the cooler assemble and from the cooler assemble to the radiator. The cooler assemble and extra plumping add to engine room congestion and increased potential of coolant leaks as time goes on.

The current Camaro Z28 uses both a bigger oil coolant/oil assemble than the Corvettes.

C7s not "C7's"
Z06s not "Z06's"
Old 07-01-2015, 06:29 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

I think you mean plumbing not "plumping"

Also, don't pay to much attention to your DIC. If it's anything like mine, as soon as I realized I had one, it developed a mind of it's own.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:46 PM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

... The 2006 – 2010 Z06s use a large air/oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator. This method of oil cooling works well at the track, but in normal street driving it keeps the oil too cold...
My suggestion: You're drawing a conclusion stating that it's too cold. Instead of declaring it so, let's ask them if it's too cold, let them tell us.

BTW, I recently called Mobil 1 tech phone line and while I was waiting 4 techs conferred as to whether 150* F is too cold for engine oil and they declined to say one way or the other. They suggested I ask GM about the proper oil temp which is exactly what you are doing.

Your Qs are good ones!

Last edited by Norm_427; 07-01-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:32 AM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm_427
My suggestion: You're drawing a conclusion stating that it's too cold. Instead of declaring it so, let's ask them if it's too cold, let them tell us.

BTW, I recently called Mobil 1 tech phone line and while I was waiting 4 techs conferred as to whether 150* F is too cold for engine oil and they declined to say one way or the other. They suggested I ask GM about the proper oil temp which is exactly what you are doing.

Your Qs are good ones!
Yes very good question...please ask it. I have often wondered the same thing. As a data point, consider a 50 degree day and a 20 minute drive...my oil reads about 110 degrees at the end. Will this cause any problem if repeated daily?
Old 07-02-2015, 10:13 AM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I look forward to seeing his thoughts on oil temperature as I intend to install a thermostat later this year (I already have a dry sump tank preheater and an oil cooler cover and posted a temperature graph here). This might also be an opportunity to get an update on his valve/guide investigation as low oil temps are potentially a contributing factor.

Last edited by bjmsam; 07-03-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I think a better question would be what oil temps GM likes to see. You kind of answered your own question in the question. Seems like you already know what the advantages/disadvantages of a air/oil and water/oil setup are.

From the OEM perspective, cost trumps all, so I would bet converting all of them to the same style water/oil cooler allows them better purchasing power and lower cost. The large air to air specifically for one car is probably more expensive.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:34 AM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya like others say one shouldn't prompt the responder with bias. The C5Z06 oil cooler "works well" is subjective. Most of the C5Z06 tack guys I know have to mount another cooler where the license plate cutout goes, so not sure how well it works.

Most likely he will have to put forth a politically correct response.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

*** I have made a few corrections based on comments already received.

For many years GM has used radiators with an engine oil cooler inside left tank for trucks, SUVs, and in the Corvette C5 Z06s.

No C5 came stock with an EOC.

This method of cooling engine oil works well and has the added benefit of warming the engine oil during warm up. It also keeps engine room congestion and the number of pluming connection to a minimum.

The 2006 – 2010 Z06s use a large air/oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator. This method of oil cooling works well at the track, but in normal street driving it keeps the oil too cold.

What temperature is too cold, the engineers may not consider the level you are talking about as too cold.

On a 50 to 60 degree day, it is common to see oil temperatures in the 130 to 140 range (DIC). The DIC is reading oil temperature from the bottom of the external reservoir, oil then goes to the oil pump ,to the oil filter, to the oil cooler, and then into the engine so the temperature of the oil entering the engine is even colder than what the DIC says.

The 2011-2013 Z06s, 2009-2013 ZR1s, and C7 Z51s/Z06s uses a coolant/oil cooler assembly to cool/warm engine oil. This method needs to have a coolant line plumbed from the block to the cooler assembly and from the cooler assembly to the radiator. The cooler assembly and extra plumbing add to engine room congestion and increased potential of coolant leaks as time goes on.

The current Camaro Z28 uses a bigger oil coolant/oil assembly than the Corvettes.

Bill
Old 07-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

*** I have made a few corrections based on comments already received.

For many years GM has used radiators with an engine oil cooler inside left tank for trucks, SUVs, and in the Corvette C5 Z06s.This method of cooling engine oil works well and has the added benefit of warming the engine oil during warm up. It also keeps engine room congestion and the number of pluming connection to a minimum.

The 2006 – 2010 Z06s use a large air/oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator. This method of oil cooling works well at the track, but in normal street driving it keeps the oil too cold. On a 50 to 60 degree day, it is common to see oil temperatures in the 130 to 140 range (DIC). The DIC is reading oil temperature from the bottom of the external reservoir, oil then goes to the oil pump ,to the oil filter, to the oil cooler, and then into the engine so the temperature of the oil entering the engine is even colder than what the DIC says.

For years GM has used radiators with an engine oil cooler inside left tank for trucks, SUVs, and in the Corvette C5 Z06s.This method of cooling engine oil appears to have worked well with the added benefit of warming the engine oil during engine warm up. Minimizing the engine compartment components is an added benefit while also minimizing the plumbing layout and number of connections

The 2006 – 2010 Z06s utilizes a large air/oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator. While this method of oil cooling seems to work well at the track it’s application in normal street driving seems to keep the oil at a much lower temperature. As an example, on day’s where the temperature is 50 - 60 degree’s F., it is not un-common to see oil temperatures in the 130 to 140 F degree range (DIC). While the DIC is reading oil temperature from the bottom of the external reservoir, the oil first travels to the oil pump, then thru to the oil filter then thru to the oil cooler before it enters the engine The temperature of the oil entering the engine is colder than what the DIC says.

The 2011-2013 Z06s, 2009-2013 ZR1s, and C7 Z51s/Z06s use a coolant/oil cooler assembly to cool/warm engine oil. This method employs a coolant line plumbed from the block to the cooler assembly and from the cooler assembly to the radiator. The cooler assembly and extra plumbing would seem to add to engine room congestion with the added potential of coolant leaks over time.

The current Camaro Z28 utilize a bigger oil coolant/oil assembly than the Corvettes.

While several advantages and disadvantages exist for of each oil cooling approach, it would be very instructive to understand, from an engineering point of view the design advantages, disadvantages, and trade offs that went into the various oil cooling designs.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:39 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Way too long. If you want the question answered, keep it simple. He doesn't need a dissertation on oil cooler types by model and year.

Q: From an engineering perspective, what are the advantages and disadvantages of using a radiator with an integrated Engine Oil Cooler (EOC) vs a stand alone EOC?

What oil temp is considered too low for a daily driver such as a Z06?
Old 07-03-2015, 09:42 AM
grcor
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Way too long. If you want the question answered, keep it simple. He doesn't need a dissertation on oil cooler types by model and year.

Q: From an engineering perspective, what are the advantages and disadvantages of using a radiator with an integrated Engine Oil Cooler (EOC) vs a stand alone EOC?

What oil temp is considered too low for a daily driver such as a Z06?
The dissertation on oil cooler types by model and year is NOT for Tadge, it is to do a level set for all the C5, C6, C7 owners who are not aware of all the oil cooling changes.

If you look at some of the comments, we want to know why it has changed some many times, you only list 2.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:06 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,034 Posts

The dissertation on oil cooler types by model and year is NOT for Tadge, it is to do a level set for all the C5, C6, C7 owners who are not aware of all the oil cooling changes.

If you look at some of the comments, we want to know why it has changed some many times, you only list 2.
There are fundamentally the two types I listed. You simply listed them multiple times by model year as they changed.

Update the question to ask why they would change the approach within the same generation of car, such as the early and late C6 Z06.

...but whatever. Your question. I deal with this type of stuff everyday and short/crisp/to the point gets the attention. Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Proof Readers needed for Ask Tadge Question - Engine Oil Cooling

Quick Reply: [Z06] Proof Readers needed for Ask Tadge Question - Engine Oil Cooling