Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Modernizing the interior, what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 09:34 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by dp201
I hope my photos come through, first time I've tried attaching anything. I've found these seats to be a little more supportive than the 08s but not by a whole lot. I don't have a problem on the track if I use Bill's method of tightening the seatbelts real snug. They're very comfortable for traveling as well. My only complaint is that the leather is so soft and subtle that they scuff on the bolsters very easily where a wallet and jeans would rub. I have to be extra careful getting in and out.
My biggest complaint is how uncomfortable the seats are. They are like sitting on a park bench. This conversion kits looks very promising. Do you find the seat bottom to be more comfortable? And which leather options did you go with, that is starting to scuff? Looks like they have a few options for grade. Was the 2100 just for the seat conversion kit, or the other items too?
Old 07-09-2015, 12:15 PM
dp201
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
My biggest complaint is how uncomfortable the seats are. They are like sitting on a park bench. This conversion kits looks very promising. Do you find the seat bottom to be more comfortable? And which leather options did you go with, that is starting to scuff? Looks like they have a few options for grade. Was the 2100 just for the seat conversion kit, or the other items too?
I find the seats to be pretty comfortable, in fact, my friend with a new C7, was remarking just how comfortable they are. My wife loves the comfort factor also, she normally drives a BMW with sport seats. I'm only 170 lbs so that may play a part in my own comfort level. I've notice that the 2012 seats are slightly shorter on the bottom than the previous style, you can see where they don't quite extend to the hard plastic which wraps around the left front of the base. Not a problem for me. I went with the ecstasy leather which is their top of the line. Beautiful soft, comfortable leather but marks fairly easily on bolster where you rub. They sent me some dye for touch up and offered to replace the panel but I'm not about to take them apart again. The 2100 only covered the seat conversion kit consisting of the foams and leather skins. Other OEM 2012 seat upgrade kits are also available from vendors, but the OEM leather isn't nearly as nice as this custom set up. The company will send you leather samples if requested.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dp201
I find the seats to be pretty comfortable, in fact, my friend with a new C7, was remarking just how comfortable they are. My wife loves the comfort factor also, she normally drives a BMW with sport seats. I'm only 170 lbs so that may play a part in my own comfort level. I've notice that the 2012 seats are slightly shorter on the bottom than the previous style, you can see where they don't quite extend to the hard plastic which wraps around the left front of the base. Not a problem for me. I went with the ecstasy leather which is their top of the line. Beautiful soft, comfortable leather but marks fairly easily on bolster where you rub. They sent me some dye for touch up and offered to replace the panel but I'm not about to take them apart again. The 2100 only covered the seat conversion kit consisting of the foams and leather skins. Other OEM 2012 seat upgrade kits are also available from vendors, but the OEM leather isn't nearly as nice as this custom set up. The company will send you leather samples if requested.
Thank you!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:13 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Go find a 2012+ to sit in. I just don't see them being worth $2k+. Everyone I talked said the difference is barely noticeable between early seats and later ones. They just look better but don't offer any more support or comfort.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:50 PM
azvrod
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Caravaggio Racing Seats,

D Style Carbon Wheel from Ebay (these guys did great work)
Attached Images   
Old 07-09-2015, 11:00 PM
SLOW 77
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see a set of the C7 competition seats in a C6. Anyone done that swap yet?
Old 07-10-2015, 12:04 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Unreal
Go find a 2012+ to sit in. I just don't see them being worth $2k+. Everyone I talked said the difference is barely noticeable between early seats and later ones. They just look better but don't offer any more support or comfort.
Look where I live....... I have one of about ten C6 Z06's in the state. Not many 2012+ C6's either. That's why I hang out here..... (I'm not someone who likes to BS with strangers on "forums".)

So if you have a better alternative to improve comfort, that does not cost $4500, or include a "race" seat, then let's hear it. And buying a mustang is not an option either.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:29 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Just trying to help you out. $2000 is still a lot of money and from driving a 2012+ I found very little difference in actual comfort. They do look cooler. I don't know if this companies leather makes it more comfy, the the seats are still basically the same, just wider should boulsters.

Maybe try to find a used set of 2012+ corvette seats and just swap them in. I know I've seen them sell for ~$1000 a set.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:33 PM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

My brother has a 2012, and yes, the seats look better, but they don't "feel" much different, when sitting in them. If I could get 2012+ seats for a steal, I'd install them...but I wouldn't pay retail for them. Not enough of an upgrade.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:08 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Just trying to help you out. $2000 is still a lot of money and from driving a 2012+ I found very little difference in actual comfort. They do look cooler. I don't know if this companies leather makes it more comfy, the the seats are still basically the same, just wider should boulsters.

Maybe try to find a used set of 2012+ corvette seats and just swap them in. I know I've seen them sell for ~$1000 a set.
Understood. Thank you

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
My brother has a 2012, and yes, the seats look better, but they don't "feel" much different, when sitting in them. If I could get 2012+ seats for a steal, I'd install them...but I wouldn't pay retail for them. Not enough of an upgrade.
I'm kinda hoping the aftermarket kit will be better than oe. Definitely will be better leather. Two grand ain't a bad price really.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:08 AM
djfury05
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to find some C7 seats to swap in. Either the standard or comp models both are light years ahead of the C6 seats. Finding them isn't often and the prices are really high right now still.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:32 AM
ProEFI
Supremacy 1 car at a time
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW 77
I would like to see a set of the C7 competition seats in a C6. Anyone done that swap yet?
I was planning to do it but I prefer a per of status seats instead of that them because the budget I was going to pay was almost 10K at our local ********ker "Dealer".
Old 07-11-2015, 12:33 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

OEM parts will only be reasonable once we have enough wrecked c7s to pull them out of. Buying new from a dealer will always be $3k+ a seat. So lets hope a lot of c7s wreck so we can get some seats.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:36 AM
ProEFI
Support Corvetteforum!

OEM parts will only be reasonable once we have enough wrecked c7s to pull them out of. Buying new from a dealer will always be $3k+ a seat. So lets hope a lot of c7s wreck so we can get some seats.
you know you just let me think about visiting the industrial area here cause maybe we had 10 to 20 wrecked C7's let me check the seats hopes they don't have a dealer price list.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:39 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Or go find a convertible parked outside over night. That could work too.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:40 AM
ProEFI
Support Corvetteforum!

Or go find a convertible parked outside over night. That could work too.
LOL they just stole my car a month ago so trust me won't let someone feel what I feel. it's still 7:40AM here brother. am living other side of world.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Boryke
Hey guys.

First post here. I just accepted a new position which will finally allow me to afford my dream car in the next few months. Prices for 09+ are firmly in the low 40's at dealers in my area. I've always loved the C6 z06's and while I really like the new Stingrays, I'd almost rather buy the c6z06 and put the difference towards bringing some of the car up to modern standards.

My dislikes for the z06 include the steering wheel, seats, shift **** and of course the antiquated electronics.

What are my options for modernizing the interior and what kind of cost am I looking at? I've searched for a bit but haven't found much out in regards to what my options are as almost all of the cars for sale and the pictures I see on these forums the interiors are never really modified.

A suede shift **** / steering wheel combo would be great. Something along the lines of the new stingray or the z28 camaros would go such a long way to improve the feel of the materials.

What about the seats? Are there any reasonably priced seating options that are direct replacements for the stockers? Most of the z06's I've looked at around here have some major wear on the seats even with low mileage not to mention they don't offer much in the way of support.

The stereo / nav unit is a standard double din correct? So swapping out to a modern system that supports Android Auto / Apple car play with nav would be simple enough.. and I assume upgrading the speakers / adding a small sub would also be the same as in older vehicles.

Thanks for the input guys.

You can replace the Nav system but aftermarket units don't tie into the HUD which is a very nice feature of the stock system. Biggest issue with OEM Nav systems is the lack of updates once the cars go out of production. The last C6 update was over two years ago and for some reason GM didn't include all of the roads in the US in any of their releases. I have come across plenty of towns that have been around for 20 or more years and the Nav just says no data. The person that made that decision should have been fired along with the ignition switch idiots.

If you choose a package level that has side air bags and choose to change seats you will lose the air bags and will have to put some resistors in place to fool the restraint system into thinking they are there. You will also have to place a passenger presence sensor under the seat cushion of what ever seats you choose or the passenger side front air bag will be permanently disabled. That sensor disables the air bag if the passenger weight is less than 70 lbs.

The reason the seats show so much wear is most owner's don't know how to get in and out of the cars. If you stick your leg into the car first you are doing it wrong. To get into the car correctly you need to open the door, turn around and face away from the car and then use your left hand to guide your butt down into the seat. That keeps your clothes and body from rubbing the seat skin against the hard and sharp edge of the seat frame that is inside the bolster. Once down swing your legs into the car.

To get out swing both legs out of the car before trying to get up and use your left hand to keep your butt from hitting the bolster. Passengers have to do the same thing but use their right hand to guide their butt past the bolster.

If you decide to replace the seat skins make sure you replace the foam and while replacing the foam use two of the seat foam reinforcement kits to keep the seat bottom foam from sliding down into the frame and causing the skin to get slack. They are about $40 ea from various forum vendors and really build up the seat bottom. Then take your new foam and ensure there are reinforcements inside each of the slots where it slides over a frame edge. I use shop work cloths glued inside the slots and they help keep the foam from splitting on the sharp edge. If you get a car with the sport seats use the lumbar support and inflatable bolster cushions to help hold your upper body in the seat when cornering hard. I added the sport seat capability to my 08 which included a power seat track for the passenger and lumbar/bolster support for both driver and passenger seats. The driver side was a plug and play since my car already had heated seats. The passenger side required moving the VCIM from under the seat to behind the glove compartment and running a power wire from the BCM to the seat connector.

There used to be a company in CT that would modify your stock seat back to increase the depth of the bolsters and add seat belt pass throughs for racing belts. I have ridden in a car with those mods and the seat worked pretty well under high cornering Gs. That mod worked with the stock side air bags so you didn't lose anything. except a little reduction in ease of entry due to the side bolster sticking out much further than stock.

Very thin people may be able to get away with putting their leg in first but anybody with a typical modern US butt will destroy the seat upholstery unless it is made out of work boot leather. Typical auto leather upholstery no matter what grade can't survive the cutting caused by pinching the seat skin between the butt and the sharp frame edge.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Michepe69 (03-28-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Modernizing the interior, what are my options?

Old 07-13-2015, 01:21 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Biggest issue with OEM Nav systems is the lack of updates once the cars go out of production. The last C6 update was over two years ago and for some reason GM didn't include all of the roads in the US in any of their releases.
Let alone overseas!
Old 07-14-2015, 07:26 PM
xzero
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a C7 what you end up spending in modernization will easily add up.

If it's the power loss from a stingray to a C6 Z06 that has you concerned well that can easily be fixed with a few mods.

...but honestly trying to modernize always seems like a very expensive outlet and in retro-spec every time I have done it I have regretted the choice and just wished I would've made the move to the next generation vehicle.

For the record I own a C6 Z06 not a C7 and have personally made the modernizing mistake twice and will not be making it a third time.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:15 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Putting time and money into this particular car (older C6 Z06), is not simply done because the owner wants to "modernize" any ol' car, but that person is very attached to his her Z and has no intention of getting rid of it..... Like me. I love this car, but it does have some things going on that I do not particularly like. The interior being one of them.

I'd already have a C7 Z06, if it was lighter, had a direct injected N/A LS7, and some kind of azz make over. Love the look of that car from all angles but the rear end.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Modernizing the interior, what are my options?