Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Modernizing the interior, what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 07:31 PM
Boryke
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Modernizing the interior, what are my options?

Hey guys.

First post here. I just accepted a new position which will finally allow me to afford my dream car in the next few months. Prices for 09+ are firmly in the low 40's at dealers in my area. I've always loved the C6 z06's and while I really like the new Stingrays, I'd almost rather buy the c6z06 and put the difference towards bringing some of the car up to modern standards.

My dislikes for the z06 include the steering wheel, seats, shift **** and of course the antiquated electronics.

What are my options for modernizing the interior and what kind of cost am I looking at? I've searched for a bit but haven't found much out in regards to what my options are as almost all of the cars for sale and the pictures I see on these forums the interiors are never really modified.

A suede shift **** / steering wheel combo would be great. Something along the lines of the new stingray or the z28 camaros would go such a long way to improve the feel of the materials.

What about the seats? Are there any reasonably priced seating options that are direct replacements for the stockers? Most of the z06's I've looked at around here have some major wear on the seats even with low mileage not to mention they don't offer much in the way of support.

The stereo / nav unit is a standard double din correct? So swapping out to a modern system that supports Android Auto / Apple car play with nav would be simple enough.. and I assume upgrading the speakers / adding a small sub would also be the same as in older vehicles.

Thanks for the input guys.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:50 PM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Caravaggio. Go big or go home. There is no better from his GT2 Datoyna seats to his steering wheel, shifter, ebrake, center console, door panels, etc....

It is a bit pricey but well worth it IMHO.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:57 PM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 135 Posts

dont forget to get rid of the dingy incandescent lighting and replace them with led's
Old 07-05-2015, 09:14 PM
Boryke
Instructor

Originally Posted by rpm94
Caravaggio. Go big or go home. There is no better from his GT2 Datoyna seats to his steering wheel, shifter, ebrake, center console, door panels, etc....

It is a bit pricey but well worth it IMHO.

How pricey are we talking? I found a D shape steering wheel I liked for around 400. I was hoping to spend about 40k on the car, and invest no more than 10k after to clean up the problems I didn't like and to also get the heads worked.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:07 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

An Android head unit and reverse camera satisfied my need for tech, while a padded console cover satisfied my need for comfort. Good luck!

Old 07-05-2015, 10:22 PM
londonk
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Boryke
How pricey are we talking? I found a D shape steering wheel I liked for around 400. I was hoping to spend about 40k on the car, and invest no more than 10k after to clean up the problems I didn't like and to also get the heads worked.
lets just say 10 k ish to do the inside of the car. The Daytona seats are 4800 or in that wheel house. Your not going to get your money back when you mod so be smart in what you do. For 1500 bucks you can re skin the seats in 2012 and newer leather and foam. grab a suede wheel from a 12 or 13 car along with shift boot and ****. do the leather dash and sills for around 3500 to 4000 with money to do the heads and a kenwood head unit….
Old 07-05-2015, 10:28 PM
Boryke
Instructor

Originally Posted by londonk
lets just say 10 k ish to do the inside of the car. The Daytona seats are 4800 or in that wheel house. Your not going to get your money back when you mod so be smart in what you do. For 1500 bucks you can re skin the seats in 2012 and newer leather and foam. grab a suede wheel from a 12 or 13 car along with shift boot and ****. do the leather dash and sills for around 3500 to 4000 with money to do the heads and a kenwood head unit….

EDIT. I see you can actually replace the earlier seats with the 2012's, thats comforting to know. What about the bearing failures I've read about? Only 2012 - 2013? And apparently all are effected by the valve guide issue.
That's a bit out of my price range. AFter looking, it appears the 2012 z06's got a much better seat than the ones previously... so that would satisfy my seat need there. 2012's are 50-55k in my area but I won't be ready to purchase until late this year. Maybe they will fall a bit more thanks to the 2016's coming out.

How is the stock stereo? Is replacing the stock head unit, replacing the stock speakers and throwing a small sub in enough to get a decent sound with the corvettes accoustics inside?

Last edited by Boryke; 07-05-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:21 PM
dp201
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I rebuilt the original 2008 seats and went with 2012 style seat foams and new leather/alcantara skins from leatherseats.com for about $2100. Very nice quality black leather with red stitching and black alcantara inserts. Went with a 2012 OEM style steering wheel with bumps and red stitching from Cultrag as I recall. Also got a padded console cover, shifter and e-brake leather boots with matching stitching from DS Vettes. Nothing real fancy but looks very nice, keeps the C6 Z06 originality, and affordable. Many other options are available from forum vendors to do further interior dress-ups or to go full custom.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:58 AM
Boryke
Instructor

Originally Posted by dp201
I rebuilt the original 2008 seats and went with 2012 style seat foams and new leather/alcantara skins from leatherseats.com for about $2100. Very nice quality black leather with red stitching and black alcantara inserts. Went with a 2012 OEM style steering wheel with bumps and red stitching from Cultrag as I recall. Also got a padded console cover, shifter and e-brake leather boots with matching stitching from DS Vettes. Nothing real fancy but looks very nice, keeps the C6 Z06 originality, and affordable. Many other options are available from forum vendors to do further interior dress-ups or to go full custom.
Any pictures of your setup? That sounds reasonable.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:51 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

OP, I believe that everything totally depends on your budget.
Caravaggio was mentioned in post # 2 and you can't go wrong with them in quality and looks. Like said, in that case "you go big"!
Alternatives are APSIS USA and Vette Candy (formerly known as Down South Vettes).
Anyway, here is a thread that will make you drool.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-got-any.html

Last but not least there is a thread on this forum titled Z06 OEM and Aftermarket Parts Weight List.
Although the main purpose of this thread is to compare the relative weight of various parts (obviously), the spreadsheet also contains many pictures and links to aftermarket vendors. Go to the Interior worksheet, look up seats, select the Comments column and voila! If you hover with your mouse over a cell a picture pops up, if you click on the cell you are directed to a vendor website.

Interior pictured below is of my 2006 Z06 with Recaro Pole Position seats and Callaway steering wheel, with alcantara door inserts, console cover and A-pillars.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:29 AM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Please please stay away from APSIS....search them before considering spending a dime
Old 07-06-2015, 09:22 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by dp201
I'd love to hear more about this conversion to 2012 seats. I'd also like to add power to the passenger seat...

No friggin way would I dump ten grand into seats and interior on a car that might be worth 50 tops. But we all have priorities I reckon.....
Old 07-06-2015, 11:01 AM
djfury05
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
I'd love to hear more about this conversion to 2012 seats. I'd also like to add power to the passenger seat...

No friggin way would I dump ten grand into seats and interior on a car that might be worth 50 tops. But we all have priorities I reckon.....
Watch this video to see how it's done.

[Url]
Old 07-06-2015, 12:37 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

2012 Seats are still unsupportive and not that much better. I don't think they are worth the cost to convert.

As for stereo, you need a few adapters/plugs that cost a few hundred, but other than that it is easy to swap a new stereo in. Double D mods is the place to go for that.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:26 PM
londonk
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

op i was just talking about the seats not the 2012 car i would stick with a 2008 and newer 09 being my first choice
Old 07-07-2015, 09:31 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by djfury05
Watch this video to see how it's done.

[url]http://youtu.be/oF7ZpMP_4CQ
Thank you. Very informative video.

Did you notice an improvement in the seat itself? Comfort wise? The back is pretty obvious, but the seat looks the same.

I can't stand fixed position race seats, and I don't have much trouble staying planted in the OE seat if I synch up the belt. All I want is a seat that's more comfortable, and doesn't feel like cheap-assed pleather. Retaining the air bag is a plus too.....
Old 07-07-2015, 11:02 AM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by v8sten
dont forget to get rid of the dingy incandescent lighting and replace them with led's
I'd start with this. Total cost was like 10 bucks with LEDs I ordered online and it makes a big difference!

Get notified of new replies

To Modernizing the interior, what are my options?

Old 07-08-2015, 12:25 PM
dp201
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boryke
Any pictures of your setup? That sounds reasonable.
I hope my photos come through, first time I've tried attaching anything. I've found these seats to be a little more supportive than the 08s but not by a whole lot. I don't have a problem on the track if I use Bill's method of tightening the seatbelts real snug. They're very comfortable for traveling as well. My only complaint is that the leather is so soft and subtle that they scuff on the bolsters very easily where a wallet and jeans would rub. I have to be extra careful getting in and out.
Attached Images   
Old 07-08-2015, 03:04 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Upgrading to 2012s seems like a great upgrade in theory, I appreciate the feedback. I won't be buying a seat 2012 kit, seems like a modest improvement for moderate expense. I'd rather invest a bit more and get a lot more out of a dedicated performance seat.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:26 PM
dp201
Instructor

Originally Posted by Josh B.
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Upgrading to 2012s seems like a great upgrade in theory, I appreciate the feedback. I won't be buying a seat 2012 kit, seems like a modest improvement for moderate expense. I'd rather invest a bit more and get a lot more out of a dedicated performance seat.
I don't blame you. If performance is valued over comfort and staying closer to stock, you're making the right decision. If I did more than just a couple of track events a year, that's what I would do. Good luck with the new seats.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Modernizing the interior, what are my options?