Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Help with Gas Smell

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:35 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Help with Gas Smell

Fellas, I have an 07Z with 28k miles. Past couple weekends I have done long drives...after a couple hrs I smell a hint of gas in the cabin when driving....after I park in the garage and close the door, the gas smell is thick. I vented the garage door and the smell wears off after a couple hours. Also, the smell doesn't happen on short drives. My gas cap doesn't fit well at all and just sits there loose...that's after getting a warranty replacement.

So I have two questions:

1) any idea what is going on

2) I did a lot of sound deadening work in the cabin by the rear speaker, upper seat belt mount, and down to the sill. Could I have inadvertently disrupted the fuel system, like a vent hose or something? Isn't the fuel system on the other side of the wall (accessed by removing the wheel well liner or dropping the tanks)? If it's on the outside, I wouldn't have touched it. Here is a pic:

The car has GMPP warranty, but I'd feel a lot better if I knew whether I could have messed it up. I took the trim off so I can see; only see the power doors/locks and the fuel door release line.....where is that evap hose?
Old 07-21-2015, 08:36 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Another way of asking my question...can anything fuel system related be accessed through here?
Old 07-21-2015, 09:02 PM
djfury05
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is probably your issue. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ty-recall.html

My 07' C6Z had small cracks starting to develop like those posted in the thread and it has 23k miles on it. I replaced it with a whole new fuel pump module.

Nothing that I know of fuel or emissions related can be accessed inside the car. It's all underneath and a pain in the ***. You didn't do anything to cause the issue.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:05 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by djfury05
This is probably your issue. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ty-recall.html

My 07' C6Z had small cracks starting to develop like those posted in the thread and it has 23k miles on it. I replaced it with a whole new fuel pump module.

Nothing that I know of fuel or emissions related can be accessed inside the car. It's all underneath and a pain in the ***. You didn't do anything to cause the issue.
Hey thanks for that link and the reassurance. I'm taking it to the dealer and hopefully GMPP comes through again. I'll report back with how things go...
Old 07-27-2015, 08:23 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Default No luck, need ideas

my 07Z with 28k miles is at the dealer. They can't reproduce the smell. They tried idling it for three hours and increased fuel pump pressure to max. Also said they looked at the pump fitting with a camera. The car is under GMPP warranty. Any ideas? The car stinks up my garage with a thick gas smell after a fillup and a long drive...
Old 07-27-2015, 09:15 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

DJFURY05 gave you what most of us would put the money on, two threads within the last week or so and many I've seen over the last year or so. I have an 08 and hoping it holds up... I'm curious what view the scope gave as I thought the issue was at the top of the tank or in the area where the fuel pump is mounted... Let us know please
Old 07-27-2015, 09:26 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I'm wondering what to do when the dealer can't reproduce the problem... They are going to leave the smoke test on overnight... They say that helps find leaks on other cars. Maybe I am just worrying prematurely about this... But my money was on not being able to reproduce the problem.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:20 PM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Well of course the dealer can't replicate the issue. They aren't going to get the build up of fumes in a big shop like you have in your garage. Having that much gas much gas vapor in your garage is straight up dangerous. Have you noticed a small puddle or anything under the car after being parked for a while? Sounds like a fuel leak or your evap system is acting up. Any recent mods in the engine bay?
Old 07-27-2015, 10:28 PM
djfury05
Pro

Originally Posted by EX1
Well of course the dealer can't replicate the issue. They aren't going to get the build up of fumes in a big shop like you have in your garage. Having that much gas much gas vapor in your garage is straight up dangerous. Have you noticed a small puddle or anything under the car after being parked for a while? Sounds like a fuel leak or your evap system is acting up. Any recent mods in the engine bay?
Bingo.. examining the pump fitting with a camera on top won't show a whole lot. I've done it so I know. In order to properly inspect the pump fitting for cracks the tank has to be dropped. As I posted earlier I would bet money that this is your issue.

If you have no evap issues (any evap codes thrown?) then I don't see the smoke test doing any good in narrowing it down.

Also, not sure what kind of run around they gave you about fuel pressure increasing to the max, since its mechanically regulated to 58psi inside the tank and that's what it runs all the time.

Good luck man keep us updated.

Last edited by djfury05; 07-27-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:30 PM
smitty1966
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinSeat
my 07Z with 28k miles is at the dealer. They can't reproduce the smell. They tried idling it for three hours and increased fuel pump pressure to max. Also said they looked at the pump fitting with a camera. The car is under GMPP warranty. Any ideas? The car stinks up my garage with a thick gas smell after a fillup and a long drive...
I noticed my 08 smelled like gas after a drive and especially after some curves. I replaced the gas cap and cleaned up the neck where the gas cap seals. Now I rarely smell it.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:34 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smitty1966
I noticed my 08 smelled like gas after a drive and especially after some curves. I replaced the gas cap and cleaned up the neck where the gas cap seals. Now I rarely smell it.
Ive already replaced the cap once. Compared to the gas caps on my other cars, the replacement still seems loose and a poor seal. How can GM f-up something so simple as a gas cap? A flipping pickle jar cap would be better than the pos they put on the C6.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:11 AM
djfury05
Pro

Mine fits just fine. Maybe you need to replace the filler neck piece? Not sure the name of it.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:22 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Don't forget to look at the Stickey above...
Old 08-02-2015, 06:26 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Default Smelling oil?

Hey fellas, is there any chance I could be smelling oil and mistaking it for gas? I drove for about 45 min yesterday and didn't get any odor in my garage. Pardon my ignorance, but I don't have a catch can on my car if that could mean anything. I don't see anything on my garage floor.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:20 PM
djfury05
Pro

No. Two completely different smells.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:08 AM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

If you can get the car up high enough to stick your nose up to the pans that support the tanks sniff. Which ever one reports back the strongest smell will have the leak. If you run the gas down under a 1/8 tank you should be able to remove the pan. Look at the top of the pan where it makes contact with the tank. You will probably see the gas stains from it leaking down from the top.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:51 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stefuel
If you can get the car up high enough to stick your nose up to the pans that support the tanks sniff. Which ever one reports back the strongest smell will have the leak. If you run the gas down under a 1/8 tank you should be able to remove the pan. Look at the top of the pan where it makes contact with the tank. You will probably see the gas stains from it leaking down from the top.
Thanks I'll take a look...does anyone have the pages from the manual for this or a diy?

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Gas Smell

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help with Gas Smell