Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Test drove a z06 today. And wow!

Old 07-27-2015, 02:58 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Test drove a z06 today. And wow!

I'm looking to get a new toy/4th car and I've kinda narrowed it down the caymen s, the z06 and the Porsche c2. Yes all three are vastly different, yes they all make different power, yes they all are good at different things well, yes I maybe insane. I dropped my zr-1 off to get some things taken care of and while I was waiting for a ride home I saw they had a z06 on the lot. The sticker on the windshield said 09 the sales woman said 05, 1lz, 5000 mile no warranty, $55,000

Anyway, took the car for a quick drive and the steering was shockingly light, the handling was amazing, turn in was nearly instant and WOT in second gear was mind altering. I was really leaning C2 but after driving this beast I maybe coming back to the corvette. This thing was so easy to drive I'm almost disapointed. With a car that does the numbers the z06 is capable of. I'm expecting the clutch to be heavy, the steering to be heavy, the shifter to be a bear, this thing was easier to drive then my mazda 6! Simply amazing.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:24 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by zr-1 guy
I'm looking to get a new toy/4th car and I've kinda narrowed it down the caymen s, the z06 and the Porsche c2. Yes all three are vastly different, yes they all make different power, yes they all are good at different things well, yes I maybe insane. I dropped my zr-1 off to get some things taken care of and while I was waiting for a ride home I saw they had a z06 on the lot. The sticker on the windshield said 09 the sales woman said 05, 1lz, 5000 mile no warranty, $55,000

Anyway, took the car for a quick drive and the steering was shockingly light, the handling was amazing, turn in was nearly instant and WOT in second gear was mind altering. I was really leaning C2 but after driving this beast I maybe coming back to the corvette. This thing was so easy to drive I'm almost disapointed. With a car that does the numbers the z06 is capable of. I'm expecting the clutch to be heavy, the steering to be heavy, the shifter to be a bear, this thing was easier to drive then my mazda 6! Simply amazing.
You have a ZR-1 and you are impressed with the Z06?

What year is your ZR-1? The C6?
Old 07-27-2015, 03:25 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Originally Posted by fueledpassion
You have a ZR-1 and you are impressed with the Z06?

What year is your ZR-1? The C6?
90. 400hp 4cam
Old 07-27-2015, 03:31 PM
LMBTom
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The C5 made Corvette a world-class sportscar.

The C6 Z06 made everyone rethink what a "supercar" was. Primarily because it was faster than most of them at the time.

It's amazing, especially for the price. I don't think I'll ever give mine up.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:35 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Originally Posted by LMBTom

The C6 Z06 made everyone rethink what a "supercar" was. Primarily because it was faster than most of them at the time.

It's amazing, especially for the price. I don't think I'll ever give mine up.
I'm not giving up my zr-1 for the same reasons. Game changer back in the 90s
Old 07-27-2015, 03:57 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

90. 400hp 4cam
Ok, lol. That explains it!

C6 Z brings supercar performance for $30-40K. Other than maybe an Ariel Atom, I don't think you will find another vehicle that can bring similar street and track performance for the same price.

This doesn't even consider how much more attractive it is than some of its competition. I will say, that a C6Z with $20K in upgrades surpasses in performance, comfort and appearance what most cars running $100-500K in price provide.

That said, don't buy that one. Buy an 06-08 with more miles, build the top end, cam it, bolt-ons, tune the suspension for better comfort and more predictability, add rims if desired and if you just have to, spend 2-4K on the interior to make it match the higher end cars in quality.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:07 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledpassion
Ok, lol. That explains it!

C6 Z brings supercar performance for $30-40K. Other than maybe an Ariel Atom, I don't think you will find another vehicle that can bring similar street and track performance for the same price.

This doesn't even consider how much more attractive it is than some of its competition. I will say, that a C6Z with $20K in upgrades surpasses in performance, comfort and appearance what most cars running $100-500K in price provide.

That said, don't buy that one. Buy an 06-08 with more miles, build the top end, cam it, bolt-ons, tune the suspension for better comfort and more predictability, add rims if desired and if you just have to, spend 2-4K on the interior to make it match the higher end cars in quality.

If it said Z06 on the fender and wide body it can't be a 2005. First year was 2006 for the ones who are not aware of c5 and C6 Z's. It must be an 09. most sales people know dick about vettes and model/ years options. I know this as fact. Glad you liked the drive.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:16 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wantbluC6
If it said Z06 on the fender and wide body it can't be a 2005. First year was 2006 for the ones who are not aware of c5 and C6 Z's. It must be an 09. most sales people know dick about vettes and model/ years options. I know this as fact. Glad you liked the drive.
Yeah its got to be something later, obviously. A base model wouldn't be going for that price even if it was a loaded 2013 model...
Old 07-27-2015, 05:01 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,542 Likes on 2,158 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I love the LT-5 in the 90-95 ZR-1 but the C6 Z06 is in a different league. I hadn't driven a C4 ZR-1 in a few years. A friend came by in a 93 Ruby ZR-1 and let me take it for a drive recently. It felt slow after owning a C6 Z06. It never used to feel slow. You will love the Z06 and keeping your C4 ZR-1 is a good idea
Old 07-27-2015, 05:46 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Originally Posted by capevettes
I love the LT-5 in the 90-95 ZR-1 but the C6 Z06 is in a different league. I hadn't driven a C4 ZR-1 in a few years. A friend came by in a 93 Ruby ZR-1 and let me take it for a drive recently. It felt slow after owning a C6 Z06. It never used to feel slow. You will love the Z06 and keeping your C4 ZR-1 is a good idea
Well there's 25 years of technology, 77 cubes, 105 hp and ~300lbs between the two cars. The zr-1 isn't a slow car by any means, the z06 is just a really fast car. As well it should be.

I haven't made any decisions. I still need to drive the 911 and the caymen. There were things I didn't like about the z06 and there's things I don't like about the 911. I haven't spent any time in the caymen but I'm sure there are things I don't like about it too.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:48 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Well there's 25 years of technology, 77 cubes, 105 hp and ~300lbs between the two cars. The zr-1 isn't a slow car by any means, the z06 is just a really fast car. As well it should be.

I haven't made any decisions. I still need to drive the 911 and the caymen. There were things I didn't like about the z06 and there's things I don't like about the 911. I haven't spent any time in the caymen but I'm sure there are things I don't like about it too.
Lots of factors come in to play here... I have driven about 6 c6Z's and they all drove/felt different in power handling, ride... the list goes on.. but I will say this with the right tires, shocks, alignment and a few bolt on's, you cant beat the looks or value you get out of it from any high end sports car. Plus find a 7.0L 427 NA engine. I'm keeping mine. The future is all small displacement TT or SC and more Star trek gizmos that will make cars and maybe vettes drive themselves. One drive in one C6 Z06 doesn't make it. Especially power wise the Cayman will be a sloth. Cayman with an A.

Good luck whatever you decide. It's what is best for you and not someone else. I fell in love with Corvettes when the C4 ZR1 came out 25 years ago. Enjoy yours.

Get notified of new replies

To Test drove a z06 today. And wow!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Test drove a z06 today. And wow!