Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6 Z's and depreciation

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 09:38 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by JStubblefield

i picked up my 08Z for 19k and it was bone stock.. high mileage but wonderfully kept. clean title and one previous owner. After 6 months im still grinning ear to ear. I get to enjoy the heck out of it without worrying about depreciation and other than the odometer it still looks and performs like a 40k one.

Wow, that's a monster deal. How many miles is on it? I had 2 high mile Corvettes (200k+) and they drove and performed as good as any in all honesty. I tracked them, drove the **** out of them...hell, I never even fixed them, just maintenance.

I've found that Corvette owners, even if they daily commute/drive their Corvettes, maintain them very well. If a guy daily drives a C6Z, he has the money to maintain it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a higher mile C6Z...especially for 19 f*ckin grand! Wow.

How did you find it...just on random cl or did you know the owner?
Old 08-16-2015, 12:00 PM
Midnight
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw an 09 Z sell for 29k with a motor issue. Thats the cheapest I have seen. 36k looks to be the floor with anything under 40k miles. I paid a couple more grand than I would have liked but its truly like a brand new car.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:43 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I bought my 2006 Z06 almost exactly 5 years ago with 2,600 miles on it for $42,000. It was a great deal at that time. I figured it would depreciate like any other newer Vette. That has not been the case. The car has 23,700 miles on it now and is in perfect condition. Probably worth close to 40. I also thought I would get bored with it like any other newer vette I have owned,. That has not happened.

It is possible that being the last of the large, naturally aspirated motors it will retain alot of it's value over the years. It is also possible that someone is taking very good care of my future C7 Z06 and riding the steep depreciation curve while not even driving it I will have a very hard time selling this car. I am still not in love with the C7 Z06 for a variety of reasons.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:32 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by capevettes
I bought my 2006 Z06 almost exactly 5 years ago with 2,600 miles on it for $42,000. It was a great deal at that time. I figured it would depreciate like any other newer Vette. That has not been the case. The car has 23,700 miles on it now and is in perfect condition. Probably worth close to 40. I also thought I would get bored with it like any other newer vette I have owned,. That has not happened.

It is possible that being the last of the large, naturally aspirated motors it will retain alot of it's value over the years. It is also possible that someone is taking very good care of my future C7 Z06 and riding the steep depreciation curve while not even driving it I will have a very hard time selling this car. I am still not in love with the C7 Z06 for a variety of reasons.

You driving it 4K miles a year has helped it keep its value. If it was driven like any other car it would be worth around 28-35K depending on miles. Still pretty good considering but not great.

The Z values are holding because no one drives them.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:57 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by propain

Have to agree and probably can be said about most cars. Low mileage brings more $$.

Wife's car bought 14 months ago. 2010 with 10,400 miles. Today it has 11,700. Most of it's miles are in a trailer. Getting pampered and carted around like a Queen.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:19 PM
JStubblefield
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

209k when I got it. 213k now. Got lucky on an ebay search THE DAY I sold my C5. Called spoke to ebay seller and after 20 mins I was convinced to go from SC to TX in a rental to get it and drive it back home that weekend! It was even a trade in at a dealership for a C7!
Attached Images   
Old 08-17-2015, 08:40 AM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JStubblefield
209k when I got it. 213k now. Got lucky on an ebay search THE DAY I sold my C5. Called spoke to ebay seller and after 20 mins I was convinced to go from SC to TX in a rental to get it and drive it back home that weekend! It was even a trade in at a dealership for a C7!
congrats? but seriously I'm glad you got the car you wanted for a price you wanted. but a car that has 10x the miles of a car that's a little over double the price is not indicative of the market. red, yellow, and black bring the lowest prices regardless of year. I don't know if it's due to production numbers or less desirability etc, but that's what I observed during my 3 month intense shopping stint. don't agree? compare the prices of leman blues to VR cars and you'll see what I mean. I saw a black 06 with 4k miles on it for 42k vs a leman blue with 7700 miles on it for 47k.
for the OP- in a niche market sports car it's always going to be the sellers that dictate the market but sadly most of them listen to what a buyer or seller says they are worth and therefore prices come down.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:35 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by propain
You driving it 4K miles a year has helped it keep its value. If it was driven like any other car it would be worth around 28-35K depending on miles. Still pretty good considering but not great.

I agree but it isn't disinterest that causes me to keep the miles down. I drive all my other cars almost as much.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:25 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Basil2000
C6z prices are dropping fast. I just traded mine in on a c7z and lost 10k in 3 years. Going to drop another 10k next 3 years. C4 zr1 guys thought their cars were special and wouldn't loose value either. Look at the prices of those. My c7z is going to loose a ton in value over the next ten years. I'm going to enjoy the car and not care about it. If you can't afford to loose the money buy a mid year corvette or put your money in a 401k.
To a point. If you had a newer model, then yes of course it depreciates fast. But then when it hits the mid 30's, it comes to a screeching halt. If you have the heads fixed and a hard to find color, then it may also go back up in price. I speculated that the C6Z would already have dipped down to the mid 20's but it didn't. Wanna know why? Because while there are some C6Z owners selling to get into a new Vette, the C7 largely appeals to a different crowed altogether when compared to the C6Z. Many people considering a C6Z aren't considering the refined nature of a C7 or its sharply contrasted styling. And then there is price. The C7Z competes with the C6Z in exclusiveness but is as much as 3 times the price in some cases. Again, different markets!

The blue Z's are a good example of extra value. Looking back, I'd have paid another $2K for a "fixed heads" Z instead of getting the stock one unknowingly.

People pay for exclusivity and experience. That is two things the C6Z has over any other corvette, IMO less the ZR1, the 427 and the new C7Z06. However, with the C7Z, its a love/hate thing when it comes to styling, and traditionalist will likely favor the C6Z instead for its smoother, female-like curves rather than the Transformer look.

The Camaro Z/28 will also have this same fate 10 years from now. It's meaner, more purpose built, and the last resemblance of the golden era of muscle cars with its 427 LS7. Emissions regulations have forced GM to go a different direction, along with the rest of the crowds. Superchargers it is from here on out for the flagships. Ford arguably agrees with their 6-cylinder twin turbo mid-engine GT coming out in 2017.

Expect mid-engine packages with superchargers in the next generation of Vette. Quite honestly, looking at the horizon, the C7 is stuck in the middle, being kinda better but wont hold a candle to its descendant generation to come. All this C7 Vette is doing is warm up Corvette society to calmly embrace Euro mid-engine style chassis in the future. It's a place-holder than indicates that GM "is about to take the gloves off" and reveal dramatic changes to what it means to have a Vette. What does that have to do with C6Z pricing? The further GM gets from the C6 in design, the more valuable the C6 will become. Rarity/uniqueness is probably the #1 driver of consumer demand in car values. Ferrari, Lambo and Aston Martin are just a few examples among many that survive on this economic reality.

Last edited by fueledpassion; 08-18-2015 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:32 AM
JonSnow
Racer

Depreciation? The c6zs hold their value a little bit better than average. what I bought my c6z for a couple years ago I can get about the same price now (minus maybe 1500 or so)

ALL cars depreciate (unless its a fully depreciated car from the 60s or some ultra rare model), it accelerates quicker once a newer model comes along so the used market floods a little bit

you want to talk about POOR depreciation?

2013 M5 new 96k

today a 2013 M5 with 20k miles you can get for 66k

-30k in 2 years.

this is something that the M5 board hates to bring up but its damn true, the lease residual on an m5 is 50% after 3 years. even BMW knows this

2006 M5 new price 81k
2006 c6 z06 80k

today you can get the M5 for 25k and the C6z is still going strong at 35k

and dont even get me started on AMG cars.

06 AMG E55 new price 85k
06 charger SRT8 new price 45k

TODAY you can get either car for 25k.

dont forget anything made by range rover,

range rover hse price in 2012 84,000
used range rover hse used in 2015 42,000

it lost half its value in 3 years.

Quite frankly c6z owners are SPOILED for such a relatively high production sports car.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:12 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by JonSnow
Quite frankly c6z owners are SPOILED for such a relatively high production sports car.
Yea.

Just turned 46K on my bought new '08 in 03-09 2LZ JSB Z.
I've been concerned over putting too much mileage on it, I just can't resist driving this car.

It's been so good, in every category, the thought of flipping it simply isn't in the cards & when the GMPP (last renewal) is up? I'll have the heads reworked & carry-on. There's nothing out there like a LS7.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:57 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

I must have picked the wrong time to sell my 06 Z. I couldn't even get a legit buyer for 36k. It had less than 30k miles. Ended up trading it in.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:02 PM
JonSnow
Racer

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
I must have picked the wrong time to sell my 06 Z. I couldn't even get a legit buyer for 36k. It had less than 30k miles. Ended up trading it in.
The best deal is made when buying, not selling
The following users liked this post:
SlowCorvette (09-16-2016)
Old 08-19-2015, 03:00 PM
XLR8-R
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

C6 Z's have been holding their value and they will continue to do so. Just because one with plasti dip painted wheels, gutted cats, bald tires and an accident report sold for $25k doesn't mean they all will...
The following users liked this post:
SlowCorvette (09-16-2016)
Old 08-19-2015, 05:51 PM
t&t moyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We did A LOT of looking and comparing prices before buying. Honestly though we weren't shopping or looking for Z06 though, we were looking for a Grand Sport. With a 200-300 mile search radius we found pretty much everything under the moon with the exception of a 12' Carlisle Blue that was optioned as I wanted. We'd seen the Z that we did buy advertised but really we weren't interested as it was more than we were looking to spend and it was BLACK.......

After stopping to look at the car when out for a motorcycle ride we decided to see what kind of deal we could get. They had started out pretty high but in the end we beat them down $7k. The original MSRP was $82K and change, we gave $48k, it had 5048 miles on the clock so I feel we did OK.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:48 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledpassion
To a point. If you had a newer model, then yes of course it depreciates fast. But then when it hits the mid 30's, it comes to a screeching halt. If you have the heads fixed and a hard to find color, then it may also go back up in price. I speculated that the C6Z would already have dipped down to the mid 20's but it didn't. Wanna know why? Because while there are some C6Z owners selling to get into a new Vette, the C7 largely appeals to a different crowed altogether when compared to the C6Z. Many people considering a C6Z aren't considering the refined nature of a C7 or its sharply contrasted styling. And then there is price. The C7Z competes with the C6Z in exclusiveness but is as much as 3 times the price in some cases. Again, different markets!

The blue Z's are a good example of extra value. Looking back, I'd have paid another $2K for a "fixed heads" Z instead of getting the stock one unknowingly.

People pay for exclusivity and experience. That is two things the C6Z has over any other corvette, IMO less the ZR1, the 427 and the new C7Z06. However, with the C7Z, its a love/hate thing when it comes to styling, and traditionalist will likely favor the C6Z instead for its smoother, female-like curves rather than the Transformer look.

The Camaro Z/28 will also have this same fate 10 years from now. It's meaner, more purpose built, and the last resemblance of the golden era of muscle cars with its 427 LS7. Emissions regulations have forced GM to go a different direction, along with the rest of the crowds. Superchargers it is from here on out for the flagships. Ford arguably agrees with their 6-cylinder twin turbo mid-engine GT coming out in 2017.

Expect mid-engine packages with superchargers in the next generation of Vette. Quite honestly, looking at the horizon, the C7 is stuck in the middle, being kinda better but wont hold a candle to its descendant generation to come. All this C7 Vette is doing is warm up Corvette society to calmly embrace Euro mid-engine style chassis in the future. It's a place-holder than indicates that GM "is about to take the gloves off" and reveal dramatic changes to what it means to have a Vette. What does that have to do with C6Z pricing? The further GM gets from the C6 in design, the more valuable the C6 will become. Rarity/uniqueness is probably the #1 driver of consumer demand in car values. Ferrari, Lambo and Aston Martin are just a few examples among many that survive on this economic reality.
Quoting myself to re-iterate the writing on the wall about the Corvette's future. I didn't realize then how accurate my commented ended up being.

Either this is going to end with a positive impact on the C6 Z06 or the C8 mid-engine is going to steal the interest of multiple generations, leaving the C6 & C7 irrelevant.

The question is whether GM will move to exclusively producing mid-engine corvettes in all trim levels or if they will have a one-off, more expensive production line to compete with all of the hyper cars coming out today. Only time will tell.

Last edited by fueledpassion; 09-16-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:26 PM
TwoSmoke
Team Owner

Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

Looks to me like the C7 GS has impacted C6 prices, causing them to drop further.

There are a ton of C6Z and C6 GS cars on the market right now.

It's very easy to find one 35 thousand dollars and less.

I really don't see why anyone would pay over 40 grand for any C6 now since new C7 cars are around 50.

I saw a 07 C6Z go for 23,900 with 106,000 miles recently.

There is a 2012 Grand Sport 3lt with 98,000 miles in Texas right now for 28,900.

The C6 is an old car now. Prices are coming down.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z's and depreciation

Old 09-16-2016, 06:33 PM
SlowCorvette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedDriver
Looks to me like the C7 GS has impacted C6 prices, causing them to drop further.

There are a ton of C6Z and C6 GS cars on the market right now.

It's very easy to find one 35 thousand dollars and less.

I really don't see why anyone would pay over 40 grand for any C6 now since new C7 cars are around 50.

I saw a 07 C6Z go for 23,900 with 106,000 miles recently.

There is a 2012 Grand Sport 3lt with 98,000 miles in Texas right now for 28,900.

The C6 is an old car now. Prices are coming down.
Those 35k & below cars are higher miles/undesirable colors.
Comparing a non Z C7 to the C6Z =

Stop using high mile cars as examples for all cars. I've been offered north of $40k for my C6Z several times FYI.

Enjoy your C7
Old 09-16-2016, 06:36 PM
SlowCorvette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JonSnow
The best deal is made when buying, not selling
100% true. I buy right. I've been offered more than I paid for my car.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:49 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by torchreddriver
i really don't see why anyone would pay over 40 grand for any c6 now since new c7 cars are around 50.
zr1

Quick Reply: [Z06] C6 Z's and depreciation