Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6 Z's and depreciation

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 07:43 PM
bambihunter
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOWRYDE
I bought my 08Z06 to drive. I wanted one since it debuted and just had to wait till the kids grew up before I bought one.

Its a drivers car and that's what I love to do with it. The price was less of a concern to me than the other attributes that attract most of us to this generations Z model. The cars lines, wide hips, slippery look, fantastic handling, glorious '427' with gobs of torque down low and power throughout the curve, light weight, retro details and all around 'bad ***' feel of the car makes it worth every cent I paid. I couldn't care less if I woke up tomorrow and they were selling for $1000.00. Mines not for sale and won't be. I'll let my investment accounts earn me money and let the Z do what it was made for...
You just got an "AMEN," brother! Yessir, keep those dividend checks coming and I'll use them for maintenance on my "Arrest Me Red" rocket.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:52 PM
bambihunter
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledpassion
I wouldn't disagree there. I don't think things would change for a C6Z until the mid-engine Corvette comes out. I just don't think the C7 has a solid identity. That has always been the issue with that car. Is it raw performance? Is it luxury? Is it trying to re-define what Corvette is? Or was it a terrible attempt to stay technologically relevant while also attempting to keep the traditional aspects of a Corvette?

I dunno. The C6Z doesn't have an identity crisis like much of the Euro performance cars do. It's raw. It's NA. It's a track car in spirit and in the flesh. But most importantly, it is the best version of the iconic shape and styling that Corvettes were known for.

If the new C8 looks a lot like the C7, but also has a mid-engine setup - presumably bolstering its performance significantly...what value then does the C7 have? It just seems the C7 will have an identity crisis when the C8 comes around. I feel like the C7 will be a lot like the C4 - the styling was not timeless. The performance was not any better than the previous generation and it certainly didn't match the C5 performance and styling. There simply was nothing that it offered that its ancestors and predecessor couldn't offer better. That's how I personally feel about the C7 Corvette.

The interior of the C7 was in fact an improvement but all of that was at a little cost to weight. Apparently, this weight issue is significant in the C7Z though the supercharger probably accounts for half the difference.

Exceeding well spoken, sir.
And now, I shall crank over my ancient 07Z06, and blast away into the sunset, shoved by 444HP into a billowing cloud of hen$hit.

Bambihunter
Old 09-27-2016, 12:46 AM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bambihunter

Exceeding well spoken, sir.
And now, I shall crank over my ancient 07Z06, and blast away into the sunset, shoved by 444HP into a billowing cloud of hen$hit.

Bambihunter
In the end, my speculation is that the C7 was merely a place holder for something else to come. It was to warm up the masses to something that is a dramatic shift from the heritage of Corvette.

I'm seeing that Corvette will be euro like in looks and performance, but with the supercharged/turbocharged big engine (for now) and considerably more expensive and less reliable. It comes with mid-engine packages. The C8 may only have a one-off production of mid-engine packages to appeal to Corvette enthusiasts who want Corvette's to do better what Porsche and Ferrari already do but I truly believe if they do mid-engine in C8's, it is with the intent to learn how to do it cheaper and more reliably to in turn make it the main production in the C9.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:43 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 790 Likes on 534 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by SLOWRYDE
I bought my 08Z06 to drive. I wanted one since it debuted and just had to wait till the kids grew up before I bought one.

Its a drivers car and that's what I love to do with it. The price was less of a concern to me than the other attributes that attract most of us to this generations Z model. The cars lines, wide hips, slippery look, fantastic handling, glorious '427' with gobs of torque down low and power throughout the curve, light weight, retro details and all around 'bad ***' feel of the car makes it worth every cent I paid. I couldn't care less if I woke up tomorrow and they were selling for $1000.00. Mines not for sale and won't be. I'll let my investment accounts earn me money and let the Z do what it was made for...

Yeah, well said, always wanted a 427, now I have one and it is "bad ***".
Old 09-27-2016, 09:52 AM
gmonsen
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a nice c4 zr1 and love the motor and styling. Didn't buy it for any economics. Put almost no miles on it, because I have several other cars and bikes I rotate driving and because I work (very little) from home I don't have a DD per se. I'm thinking about adding a c6 z06 or 427 convertible again primarily due to the engine.

I think the z06 will ultimately be pretty collectible due to the aluminum chassis and 427. Most other gens model variants really are more trim differences rather than fundamental differences, like the aluminum chassis.

Gordon
Old 09-27-2016, 04:47 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
I'm not going to get into an internet argument over car prices. I'll just say this....I have an 06 Z. I will not sell it for less than $40k . And right now, its not for sale. On another note, I think if I tried to sell it, my sons would disown me....lol.
My 06Z Lemans with 62K miles on it and fixed heads will be for sale next week for $35k. I think that is a fair price.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:10 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 790 Likes on 534 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by crAzy
My 06Z Lemans with 62K miles on it and fixed heads will be for sale next week for $35k. I think that is a fair price.
I think $35K is a very fair price, it should sell quick.
The following users liked this post:
crAzy (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 05:56 AM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
I think $35K is a very fair price, it should sell quick.
Not saying it's not worth it but at that price there will be lots of competition
Old 09-28-2016, 10:41 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by stefuel
Not saying it's not worth it but at that price there will be lots of competition
IMO, people would rather pick up a car that has not been modified a lot (cam, heads, etc). The car is pretty much stock. Yes I do have a CAI and have removed the factory speakers/headunit with aftermarket, but otherwise it is stock. Heads have been addressed of course and the car was my daily for the past 4 years. Never taken to the track or strip. Had fun runs on the highway of course. Who doesn't? Got it dynoed and it put out 468 rwhp.

Last edited by crAzy; 09-28-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:24 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

But @LMB-Z has fixed heads, cam, headers, intake, PRT exhaust, better wheels and a really clean car.

I wouldnt expect any any less than $35K for his car.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:34 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

But @LMB-Z has fixed heads, cam, headers, intake, PRT exhaust, better wheels and a really clean car.

I wouldnt expect any any less than $35K for his car.
and I agree
Old 09-28-2016, 01:37 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Default The buyer demographics will change

Something people aren't considering is who will be looking to buy this car in the next 5-10 years. It won't likely be Boomers and Even Gen-X'rs, but Millennials.

Sure, some older gentleman will desire it, but let's be honest - the middle aged and older enthusiasts owners have already owned this car and now own the C7. It's the younger generation (like myself) that will be buying this car as the price comes down.

My my generation isn't mechanically inclined. We care about best bang for the buck performance and styling, which means that we're not turned off to modifications so long as the car remains mechanically sound and drivable. In fact, if it's been done right and the car runs strong, I'd consider the mods people have done before me an act of service to my intent for the car, so long as the cam of choice was not overzealous for a a street car. That's a matter of opinion, but I'd say anything approaching 18-20* overlap @ .050 is too much and anything with durations of 300+ @.050 is too much as well.

The ONLY reason I bought a completely stock Z is because at the time my budget was only able to buy stock Z's because the modded ones were $3-7K beyond my budget.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:45 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Something people aren't considering is who will be looking to buy this car in the next 5-10 years. It won't likely be Boomers and Even Gen-X'rs, but Millennials.

Sure, some older gentleman will desire it, but let's be honest - the middle aged and older enthusiasts owners have already owned this car and now own the C7. It's the younger generation (like myself) that will be buying this car as the price comes down.

My my generation isn't mechanically inclined. We care about best bang for the buck performance and styling, which means that we're not turned off to modifications so long as the car remains mechanically sound and drivable. In fact, if it's been done right and the car runs strong, I'd consider the mods people have done before me an act of service to my intent for the car, so long as the cam of choice was not overzealous for a a street car. That's a matter of opinion, but I'd say anything approaching 18-20* overlap @ .050 is too much and anything with durations of 300+ @.050 is too much as well.

The ONLY reason I bought a completely stock Z is because at the time my budget was only able to buy stock Z's because the modded ones were $3-7K beyond my budget.

And I agree mostly on this. Nothing is better than buying a stock car and modding it yourself to enjoy the thrill of the performance you get each time you do something to it. It is something that you can't do with a heads/cam/intake car. Sure it will cost money, but I think in the long run the experience you get from that is priceless. Of course there are some who "have been there done that" and just want fast from get go. No problem with that either.

Last edited by crAzy; 09-28-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:59 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Default Touché

And I agree mostly on this. Nothing is better than buying a stock car and modding it yourself to enjoy the thrill of the performance you get each time you do something to it. It is something that you can't do with a heads/cam/intake car. Sure it will cost money, but I think in the long run the experience you get from that is priceless. Of course there are some who "have been there done that" and just want fast from get go. No problem with that either.
modding is fun and so is learning. But financially speaking, I should have waited a year and bought a completely modded car of my choice for almost the same price...
Old 09-28-2016, 02:22 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

modding is fun and so is learning. But financially speaking, I should have waited a year and bought a completely modded car of my choice for almost the same price...
I tell myself that every time I buy a performance car. I always end up buying a damn stock one lol. Happened with my old Camaros and both my Z06s. When I get back into the game I think I will probably go that route this time. That is if I get back into another vette.

Last edited by crAzy; 09-28-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:17 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I also buy stock or as stock as possible (CAI, etc.), because I'm that particular...I want things done exactly the way I want them, by whom I wanted to do the work...not 80-90% of the way I wanted. Everyone is different, which is why there's a buyer for practically anything that's for sale.
The following 2 users liked this post by MTPZ06:
95rtturbo (09-29-2016), RGT (10-10-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 04:39 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I am very much like MTPZ06 when it comes to being particular so try to buy stock as possible. I happened to get real lucky with this Z06 and the seller picked the exact parts I would have installed pretty much the entire way though. I still ended up making many changes but it ended up being a great starting point for me.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z's and depreciation

Old 09-29-2016, 11:00 AM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MickVette
I am very much like MTPZ06 when it comes to being particular so try to buy stock as possible. I happened to get real lucky with this Z06 and the seller picked the exact parts I would have installed pretty much the entire way though. I still ended up making many changes but it ended up being a great starting point for me.
And this is how I feel too. In a perfect scenario, I'd have no concern with income and I could buy a completely stock vehicle and mod it as much as I'd like, spending copious amounts of money to get the very best quality work and end up with a novel Corvette that is so priceless to me I end up keeping it for my children.

But in order to get to that scenario one day, I have to be smart with my spending now...which probably means I shouldn't have ever considered buying a Corvette in the first place sense it didn't contribute to my wealth, lol.

The moral of the story --> Don't buy one, lol. Just don't. Delay gratification. Go find something else to do with the money and enjoy other fine things in life that have nothing to do with Excessive Horsepower Disorder (EHD).

Last edited by fueledpassion; 09-29-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:47 AM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
I also buy stock or as stock as possible (CAI, etc.), because I'm that particular...I want things done exactly the way I want them, by whom I wanted to do the work...not 80-90% of the way I wanted. Everyone is different, which is why there's a buyer for practically anything that's for sale.
i agree.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:01 AM
TwoSmoke
Team Owner

Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ratomicZ06
i agree.
Me to.

A stock Z is more than enough power. No way I'm interested in paying a higher price for somebodies else's mods just because the owner thinks they need to be reimbursed for the money they put in the car.

Then I can mod it myself and only blame myself if there are any problems that reduce drivability down the road.
The following users liked this post:
mwbgtb (10-09-2016)

Quick Reply: [Z06] C6 Z's and depreciation