Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Of course, a millionth Service AH message appears

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 10:43 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Of course, the one millionth customer of the all time fav, Service AH message appears

After barely almost 7 weeks and no issues my first electrical gremlin.. I have read every post and i know I have to get a scan tool that can read ABS codes or else I'm shooting in the dark.... anyway I knew something was up last week playing around with my buddies 07 cammed Z... I had it on comp. driving and /or all comp. trac off..
So walking it out of the hole and pinning the gas the rear tires felt like a tach bouncing off the rev limiter it wanted to keep grabbing every 1/3 of a second and wouldn't stop that till I shifted into second and everything was normal.. so I hadn't driven the Z till last night so I noticed it started doing it again (quiet highway at 2 am) but if I launched it in 2nd gear it never did this.. so all of a sudden I am driving home and the SAH message appears so I rotate through the console button, all it will show is traction ON or traction OFF and, no comp mode... now even if I leave it where the DIC says traction ON it will flip within 2-3 seconds back to traction off briefly then back to SAH... and I have the yellow no traction icon on the right side of the instrument panel. So today I went for a quick spin around the neighborhood and it doesn't say anything until I touch the console button then its back to this... So is this weird...
I took knee and courtesy light panel off to see the SW sensor switch and and then I read about aftermarket exhaust (like my B&B bullets vibrating and scrambling the yaw sensor wherever that is located) and I feel the vibration from the B&B's especially in first gear so I'm thinking its not a 3$ clip for the SWS... any thoughts about my particular long and drawn out story guys.. I really like my bullets and don't wanna switch catbacks next year if I don't have to. Yes Im on holidays next week so a ABS code reader should narrow it down i'm sure... Frustrating none the less like lots of others here. Hope not expensive fix...

Thanks

D

Last edited by REDZED2; 08-18-2015 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:06 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Wow 143 channels and nothing on... ha. Crickets
Old 08-18-2015, 12:23 PM
JP426
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed a cam, headers and mid pipe on my car and am getting quite a bit of exhaust rattle at idle. My Service Active Handling light comes on occasionally when it is just sitting at idle. It goes away if I turn the car off and restart it.
I don't have any answers yet but waiting to see results from your post.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:03 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Yeah thanks... I have read numerous threads and will have the car scanned next week.. I am betting it's the Bullets screwing up the Yaw sensor cause they do vibrate quite a bit down in low gear and rpm. Don't know how much to fix might have to wait till next year. I have tried disconnecting battery and everything else. It only comes on and disables everything after pushing the traction console button (like I stated in my first post)... ahhhh sucks azz. lol .. last thing I need at the moment.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:26 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

OP, what front rear tires are you running. If the stagger is not about the same or more than the 275/325 OEM's that will set of the AH alarm.

From your first post it almost sounded like you got wheel hop, which is not uncommon for the OEM rear shocks.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:14 PM
1badtantrum
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I had some similar gremlins during a track car conversion. Not definitive solution but a view with some thoughts...While SAH message is active, the system is disabled. This was good in my case even though the message was intermittent.
It turned out after a steering wheel conversion the builder did not 're-zero' the steering angle sensor. If you have done any steering wheel mods, disconnected the rack, steering shaft etc. Check the steering angle sensor.
Even though the sensor/steering wheel/wheels were off some 30+ degree's in my case, the SAH was persistant but intermittent. I would in a futile attempt to clear the message through battery disconnects, restarts etc, the Comp Driving mode option was gone and a press of the 'button' would provoke DIC messages...
Blah blah blah, check the steering angle sensor.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:07 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AzDave47
OP, what front rear tires are you running. If the stagger is not about the same or more than the 275/325 OEM's that will set of the AH alarm.

From your first post it almost sounded like you got wheel hop, which is not uncommon for the OEM rear shocks.
Dave, tires are 3 year old regular Pilot sports stock sizes 275/325. It cant be wheel hop cause it never did that the first few weeks I was on it hard in first, just got tail happy and it doesn't hop when it does it, I know I can feel what it is and isn't. Feels like every miilisecond the TC is blinking the rear brakes.. also like I said mimicks the sound of the rev limiter bouncing off, that's almost how fast it happens and only in first where she pulls. If I start from a stop in 2nd gear the car reacts like a C6Z should.
This has all happened in the last 10 days. The first 5-6 weeks I drove it hard 4-5 times outta the hole you could feel tires spinning and rear kicking out. I am hell bent its my vibrating bullets screwing up the Yaw sensor. Next week will report back... This car has never wheel hopped like my C5 Z did.

Last edited by REDZED2; 08-25-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:08 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1badtantrum
I had some similar gremlins during a track car conversion. Not definitive solution but a view with some thoughts...While SAH message is active, the system is disabled. This was good in my case even though the message was intermittent.
It turned out after a steering wheel conversion the builder did not 're-zero' the steering angle sensor. If you have done any steering wheel mods, disconnected the rack, steering shaft etc. Check the steering angle sensor.
Even though the sensor/steering wheel/wheels were off some 30+ degree's in my case, the SAH was persistant but intermittent. I would in a futile attempt to clear the message through battery disconnects, restarts etc, the Comp Driving mode option was gone and a press of the 'button' would provoke DIC messages...
Blah blah blah, check the steering angle sensor.

Thanks but car has been untouched except for bullets catback and ZR1 skirting. I have talked to the 2 previous owners. Should I try disconnecting the battery for kicks?

Last edited by REDZED2; 08-19-2015 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:09 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Funny how I found out I have the comb clip installed in my SWS, so I removed it replaced it, wiggled the wire while going to it while I extended and receded the telescopic wheel and the wire does get a little tighter when the wheel is fully out.. so anyway put it all back together reconnected my negative battery cable... no codes. drove it hard.. had AC TC ABS all working except at WOT in first it still feels like till I shift till 2nd either TC is coming on blinking quick over and over or even it may be backfire? I cant f'ing tell anymore. Doesn't matter if I'm in comp. everything turned off or all AH/TC on...

so I dunno..like I said if launched in 2nd it doesn't do it. Only first gear out of the hole or under 30 mph with a WOT hit. car still accelerates strong but it never ever did this up until 2 weeks ago. Guess I will leave it alone till next year... didn't think anyone here would know... some might if they were in my car and could feel and hear whats happening.

Last edited by REDZED2; 08-25-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:45 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

I wonder if its minor wheel hop in 1st gear? Anyone have minor wheel hop in first gear that doesn't bounce you around in the car? I mean if there is no DIC message now and TC doesn't light up when it happens maybe since the weather has been cooler the tires aren't as warm..hmmmmm So wouldn't minor wheel hop in 1st activate TC even on??

Last edited by REDZED2; 08-25-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:56 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AzDave47

Dave with the 08 shocks which were supposed to be improved could they still do this without my body feeling or the car shaking? PLease read my last few posts... Car still seems to accelerate well while doing it. Like I said if its wheel hop it physically cannot be felt like my c5Z where you feel like old school muscle car live real axle bouncing up and down rapidly. Just intermittent delay and you can hear the rpm's drop slightly on every millisecond delay in WOT.... but like I said launching in second is completely normal so minor wheel hop that can't be felt could be it still? 3/4 to the floor normal acceleration, at wot here comes the stuttery acceleration and NO CODES THROWN. Could new tires fix this or obviously shocks... just thinking out loud guys.

Last edited by REDZED2; 08-25-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:02 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

BTW I had a diablo canned tune and just before this happened I went to a 97 octane fuel (trial) from 92. Temps in the city have fallen from 85-100 with high humidty to 50-68 the last 2 weeks mostly as well so the Z has felt stronger ... everywhere.. FWIW..
Old 08-26-2015, 01:35 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by wantbluC6
Dave with the 08 shocks which were supposed to be improved could they still do this without my body feeling or the car shaking? PLease read my last few posts... Car still seems to accelerate well while doing it. Like I said if its wheel hop it physically cannot be felt like my c5Z where you feel like old school muscle car live real axle bouncing up and down rapidly. Just intermittent delay and you can hear the rpm's drop slightly on every millisecond delay in WOT.... but like I said launching in second is completely normal so minor wheel hop that can't be felt could be it still? 3/4 to the floor normal acceleration, at wot here comes the stuttery acceleration and NO CODES THROWN. Could new tires fix this or obviously shocks... just thinking out loud guys.
I'm no expert on drag racing so have little experience with wheel hop. The only two Corvettes I've driven hard are both 09 Z06's and both with limited mileage had problems dealing with bumps in modestly hard cornering, so I'd be suspicious of the shocks. With Bilstein Sports I've experienced very, very brief wheel hop a couple of times during 1-2 redline shifts doing 1-mile trap speed events, but no codes thrown.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:10 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Thanks Dave.... I'm gonna take this as a perfect storm of colder roads, tires, better fuel, shocks and 3-4 year old tires... can't be anything else... next year... heads are #1 priority. No wonder so many videos of C6 Z guys walking out the hole feathering the throttle or roll racing... 1st gear is rediculous in these cars especially in cool weather.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:10 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Thanks to all the wonderful techies on here.. that sent me tons of PM's!
Old 08-29-2015, 10:51 PM
Capt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

something about a wire tie in the harness needs to be cut. info is somewhere about that. I get it too, just haven't had time to fix it.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:23 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Yeah my 2 wires going to the SWS didn't have the zip tie on them and the red comb clip in the SWS was already in there. I stopped using the telescopic function (so steering wheel doesn't move) and keep my steering wheel as far against the gauges and move my seat a little further to the wheel and so far the SAH hasn't come back so far anyway yet..

Capt. if you have it cut the ziptie, get the 2$ clip for the SWS connector and never extend your power telescopic wheel, just move your seat closer. I have read dozens of posts on this. They changed the sensor, wiring, location or something like that in 2009 and up.

Last edited by REDZED2; 08-29-2015 at 11:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Of course, a millionth Service AH message appears

Quick Reply: [Z06] Of course, a millionth Service AH message appears