Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Stuck clutch pedal on launches

Old 08-24-2015, 11:35 PM
GD-Zo6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stuck clutch pedal on launches

I was at the track this weekend with my 08 Zo6 and I was using my lingerfelter launch controller and everytime I launched the pedal would stay stuck to the floor and the car would just rev out. The car is making right under 700whp and is on the stock clutch. I was thinking the clutch just can't handle the power on the launches and I need to upgrade the clutch. I saw that lingenfelter makes a clutch pedal return kit and was wondering if this is worth a try before spending money on a upgraded clutch.

Any thoughts or opionions on what it might be would be greatly appreciated thank you.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:04 AM
flyby763
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If youre making that kind of power just replace the clutch, youre going to need to eventually anyway.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:17 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

The clutch pedal return spring won't do anything for the launch. It sounds like your clutch is toast. A new clutch + slave cylinder + remote bleeder are in your future.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:26 AM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GD-Zo6
I was at the track this weekend with my 08 Zo6 and I was using my lingerfelter launch controller and everytime I launched the pedal would stay stuck to the floor and the car would just rev out. The car is making right under 700whp and is on the stock clutch. I was thinking the clutch just can't handle the power on the launches and I need to upgrade the clutch. I saw that lingenfelter makes a clutch pedal return kit and was wondering if this is worth a try before spending money on a upgraded clutch.

Any thoughts or opionions on what it might be would be greatly appreciated thank you.
If the clutch pedal is sticking to the floor, it means you are over powering the clutch. Get an Monster LT1-S, and throw the stock return spring away. Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:55 PM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by SNL/MonsterClutchCo
If the clutch pedal is sticking to the floor, it means you are over powering the clutch. Get an Monster LT1-S, and throw the stock return spring away. Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions.
this is what is in mine i beat the h377 out of it too
Old 08-25-2015, 05:19 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

How often do you flush the clutch fluid? Dirty fluid is known to cause the clutch pedal to stick on the floor, even with stock power levels. GM even recommends a complete flush every 24 months on a stock C6. That type of flush is not necessary if you do the ranger method every 6 months(or more often if you are drag racing it, where you get a lot of clutch dust). A can of Prestone DOT 3 brake fluid cost under $4 at Walmart and it only takes around 15 minutes to run the entire can through the system.

In fact, on a recent trip to Utah, a 98 C5 Pace car had the clutch pedal stick to the floor out in the middle of nowhere. That's with a stock 345 HP LS1 engine. He wasn't overpowering the clutch. The clutch fluid had never been flushed(25,000 miles on the car, but 17 years old). Ran back to a gas station and got their only can of brake fluid, and using paper towels, we flushed the fluid for 4 cycles, and got back on the road. It never stuck again on the way back home(1500 miles) and received plenty of use of the clutch in the mountains of Colorado.

Once we got back home, the pace car owner then again flushed the fluid

I flush the fluid using the Ranger method twice a year on my stock 09 Z06 and have never had the clutch pedal stick to the floor(46,500 miles and 7 years old).

Another friend got into is stock 2009 ZR1 and went to back out of his garage. The pedal stuck to the floor(he had less than 5,000 miles on the car and the car was only 5 years old). Now he does the Ranger method of flushing the clutch fluid.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-25-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:31 AM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by joesc5
a can of prestone dot 3 brake fluid cost under $4 at walmart and it only takes around 15 minutes to run the entire can through the system.

dot 4
Old 08-26-2015, 11:52 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Kouasupra
dot 4
You are correct. DOT 4 should be used. I don't know what I was thinking of(I've changed out my fluid with DOT 4 at least a dozen times), as I just picked up a bottle of DOT 3 yesterday. I'll take it back and get the correct DOT 4.

Thanks very much for your correction.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:07 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Thats a lot of power on the stock clutch. You should replace.

The Ranger method while good didn't really help me at all. You are simply glazing the clutch by slipping it too much. Less slip and you wont have the pedal issue.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:21 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
You are correct. DOT 4 should be used. I don't know what I was thinking of(I've changed out my fluid with DOT 4 at least a dozen times), as I just picked up a bottle of DOT 3 yesterday. I'll take it back and get the correct DOT 4.

Thanks very much for your correction.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:20 PM
GD-Zo6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
The clutch pedal return spring won't do anything for the launch. It sounds like your clutch is toast. A new clutch + slave cylinder + remote bleeder are in your future.
The clutch works fine and launches hard if I just launch it without the ligenfelter launch controller but as mentioned above more than likely I just need a stronger clutch for the hard launches with the launch controller.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:55 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Way too much power for a stock clutch.

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck clutch pedal on launches

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Stuck clutch pedal on launches