Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Headers Install Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 03:32 PM
I-LOX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers Install Tips?

Recently ordered Kooks Headers and mid pipe. What problems have people ran into while installing. Any tips?

My friend has a lift, but he won't be available for a few weeks. Would anyone advise against doing it on jack stands?
Old 08-30-2015, 05:13 PM
mewalker2
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Headers Install Tips?

It can be done on jack stands, no problem.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:51 PM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Just installed my LG's, WOW what a BIT**. Used a lift, but nothing fits right, had to fight with everything. I recommend using the lift, jack stands would really be a fight. Took two of us 8 hrs to install.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:05 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 463 Likes on 331 Posts

Kooks and arh will slide in no problem. Lg sucks
Old 08-30-2015, 09:40 PM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Couldn't get Kooks in on driver side. Seems the oil heat exchanger was in the way. I was doing a clutch and was going to do the headers at the same time. But I wanted to get it back on the road so I held off on the headers. A couple weeks ago I removed the oil heat exchanger. I only do dd and drags, no track time. Last week I started installing my wideband to get ready for when I do the headers.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:02 PM
08mojo
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Install them when the heads are pulled!

Seriously though, long tubes look like a hard install without removing anything else.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:40 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 177 Posts

The only extra thing I removed to install my JBA longtubes were 2 coils on the passenger side to allow me to wiggle the header through the top. Driver side fell right into place. Removing the spark plugs would give more room as well.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:27 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by c5racr1

He speakith the truth. I have seen all 3 brands installed and been involved. My pref. if to buy today is ARH and kooks a close second.Better quality clamps as well. JMO
Old 08-31-2015, 11:17 AM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Did my Texas Speed long tubes on jack stands, the only thing I had to unbolt were the oil lines that connect to the oil pan. I just drained the oil first, un bolted them and swung them out of the way.

-jp
Old 09-06-2015, 02:30 PM
I-LOX
Advanced

So, my Kooks showed up and the instructions say to raise the car 24" ....Is this required? most jack stands are 12-18". Gotta go buy new stands if it needs to be 24" so I hope not.

PS, thanks all for your prior comments.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:40 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

I remove the spark plugs and coil packs off of the rocker covers. I disconnect the coolant temp sensor just in case I bang the header ito it and break it. Firesleeve the clutch slave cylinder line before installing the left side header. Connect the o2 sensors before bolting the headers in place. wiretie/reroute the o2 wires far away from the headers when done. Firesleeve/reroute/wiretie any wires at the starter that are close to the header tubes. Same goes for the wires that go behind #8 header tube. Insulate the starter if it is too close to the header tubes. Add firesleeve to the plug wire boots. There are also two half moon looking bosses sticking out on each side of the bellhousing, removing them gives a little more clearance to fit the headers in place- this depends on who makes the headers.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:38 AM
I-LOX
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3X2
I remove the spark plugs and coil packs off of the rocker covers. I disconnect the coolant temp sensor just in case I bang the header ito it and break it. Firesleeve the clutch slave cylinder line before installing the left side header. Connect the o2 sensors before bolting the headers in place. wiretie/reroute the o2 wires far away from the headers when done. Firesleeve/reroute/wiretie any wires at the starter that are close to the header tubes. Same goes for the wires that go behind #8 header tube. Insulate the starter if it is too close to the header tubes. Add firesleeve to the plug wire boots. There are also two half moon looking bosses sticking out on each side of the bellhousing, removing them gives a little more clearance to fit the headers in place- this depends on who makes the headers.
Do I need to remove the cats prior to removing the headers? The bolts on the cats are stuck on pretty damn tight. Is it better to remove something else? Currently talking about the left, right side tips are welcome.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:01 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by c5racr1
LGs are fine. Put a set on an off in less
Old 09-07-2015, 11:35 AM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 135 Posts

the kooks 2" were a pita on the pass side. oil lines starter, frame, k-member, block were all in the way i had to move all of those (except the frame) to squeeze it in. the drivers side went right in.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:58 PM
I-LOX
Advanced

Originally Posted by v8sten
the kooks 2" were a pita on the pass side. oil lines starter, frame, k-member, block were all in the way i had to move all of those (except the frame) to squeeze it in. the drivers side went right in.
Also running into space issues on passenger side.(3" headers) Driver side went in with a little bit of Tetras work. Passenger side seems to not want to fit any direction. You said you had to raise the block?
Old 09-07-2015, 01:39 PM
I-LOX
Advanced

Originally Posted by v8sten
Where do you raise the block? the only viable place that I see is the oil sump, but I am scared of cracking it... That isn't a normal place to jack from, but all other spots seem to be frame bars that will just lift the car itself.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:49 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Can't go up that high because you will push the intake manifold isn't the cowl.

If you don't have clearance support the block on the bellhousing or pan with a large block of wood and lower the cradle slightly. My ARH 2" went in no issues. Starter had to come out, but didn't mess with anything else.

Get notified of new replies

To Headers Install Tips?

Old 09-07-2015, 01:59 PM
I-LOX
Advanced

Originally Posted by Unreal
Can't go up that high because you will push the intake manifold isn't the cowl.

If you don't have clearance support the block on the bellhousing or pan with a large block of wood and lower the cradle slightly. My ARH 2" went in no issues. Starter had to come out, but didn't mess with anything else.
Got the starter out a little while ago, but seems there is still no room to move into place. I am hitting the dry sump before the headers even make it to the starter. I would need to bring the engine up a few inches I think. maybe 2-3. The headers seem to be wedged between the frame and dry sump. cant figure a way to wiggle it through.

Doing the 1-7/8 kooks header 3" X pipe. Not sure why I cant fit them in if the 2" header goes in well.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:39 PM
I-LOX
Advanced

So, i raised the engine and got both headers in. But I seep to keep running into snags every step of the way. My passenger side rear O2 sensor seemes to be wedged somewhere up under/behind the transmission. I can touch the sensor itself but I cannot reach, see, or find the electrical connection so that I can attach the kooks O2 extensions. Suggestions? Or did anyone else run into this?
Old 09-08-2015, 03:59 PM
mikes08z06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I-LOX
So, i raised the engine and got both headers in. But I seep to keep running into snags every step of the way. My passenger side rear O2 sensor seemes to be wedged somewhere up under/behind the transmission. I can touch the sensor itself but I cannot reach, see, or find the electrical connection so that I can attach the kooks O2 extensions. Suggestions? Or did anyone else run into this?
Follow the wires from the O2 sensor to find the connector. Helped to have someone tugging on the wires to find the location of the connector. It was a real pain for me too and I kept trying from the top and the bottom to pull the blue locking pin and finally got it disconnected from the bottom. Get familiar with how the connectors come apart as two of mine had to be disconnected by feel. Expect the location of the connectors to vary slightly from car to car.

Keep in mind with my 1 7/8" Kooks headers with catted X-pipe I only needed the white (really light gray) extensions for the rear O2 sensors. The front sensors were fine without an extension. Disconnecting the O2 sensor connectors was the most aggravating part of the install for me.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Headers Install Tips?